Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post your Bike numbers from BSLT70.3 to check my own efficiency
Quote | Reply
I just want to get an idea of how my setup and position are since I do not get to race very often. I figured comparing others at the same race should give me an idea...especially if watts are close. Ill include elevation and such so that maybe some of you bike number crunching experts can see a glaring problem or hopefully tell me that everything looks to be fairly efficient. I currently have no pics.

Dist: 56.04 miles

Avg. Sp: 22.2mph

Elevation Gain: 1,644

Avg Pwr: 209
NormPwr: 222
Avg.RPM: 83

5'10 173lbs

I estimate my FTP to be around 260w.

chipseal roads, quite a few turns and 3 turnarounds. I dont believe wind was a major factor that day.
I dont think this is considered a fast course.

Shiv Tri
Hed3 front with Vittoria Corsa Evo Tubulars(21)
Hed Stinger with Vittoria Corsa Evo Tubular(25)
PD SVET basebar
ZIPP VUKA aerobars in Praying Landis but only about 35degree angle
Bell Javelin Helmet...sunglasses
TRIRIG O's
X-lab Torpedo BTA
Power2Max pwrmeter

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone
Last edited by: COJO: Jul 5, 15 13:23
Quote Reply
Re: Post your Bike numbers from BSLT70.3 to check my own efficiency [COJO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

According to my Garmin 310 I had 56.01 miles, 18.6 mph in 3:00:43, elevation gain: 1460 ft. 55 year old, 160 lbs, 5ft 10 inches, male on a Specialized Transition with hed wheels, S-Works clinchers and latex tubes. Giro 2 helmet. No power meter. Average heart rate: 133 bpm (on the bike).

You had 50 miles? I think that you made an early turn around. You can get lynched for that around here.

Quote Reply
Re: Post your Bike numbers from BSLT70.3 to check my own efficiency [COJO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure how much use this will be to you, but you're welcome to look at it. I don't use a power meter or HRM, but this is what I had from my Garmin 310XT.

Dist: 56.0 miles

Avg. Sp: 18.7 mph

Elevation Gain: 1,388 ft

Avg Pwr: 160 W (estimated by the 310XT)

6'2" 180lbs

Wind was not a big factor, but it was 5-10 mph from the west.

Cannondale Slice 5
Mavic Cosmic Carbone with Michelin Pro4 Service Course (23)
Vision Tech Aerobars
Louis Garneau Rocket TT Helmet

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your Bike numbers from BSLT70.3 to check my own efficiency [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply and especially catching my error. I fixed it.

Quote Reply
Re: Post your Bike numbers from BSLT70.3 to check my own efficiency [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Every little bit helps. thank you. i cant believe how big of a difference the altitudes are between each of our watches. I used 910xt.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice bike split for that course. Here is my data:

My Garmin showed 55.97 miles and 1568 feet of ascent. Once downloaded into Golden Cheetah, the ascent changed to 1319 feet.

Time 2:34:0x (21.8 mph), 201 watts average power, 223 watts normalized power, 89 rpm.

Classic P3 carbon, Easton Attack bars, HED Jet 80mm front and back (should have run the disc), Conti GP4000S II tires, "old" Rudy Wingspan. I (to the horror of many on this forum) run two bottles behind the seat and (even more horror) one on the down tube. Nothing between the bars--still searching for the right product there.

I'm about your size.

Yea, the course would be a lot faster without the chip seal. I don't know why TxDOT loves the chip seal so much, but it does. An argument can be made that asphalt is cheaper and tolerates harsh weather better, but TxDOT doesn't seem to care.

Wind was light by usual BSLT standards.

Scrubbie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a "BSLT 70.3 2014" Strava segment with a lot of data. FWIW, Jordan Rapp's 2014 ride is the current KOM, 25.8 mph, and his file shows 1453 feet of elevation gain. Chris Baird had a 25.3 mph average and his file shows 1437 feet of elevation gain for this year.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your Bike numbers from BSLT70.3 to check my own efficiency [scrub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. My Uncle builds roads in the Lubbock(Panhandle) area and I asked him about why chipseal is so widely used these days. He said the main reason is that it is much safer to drive on. Especially in wet/icy conditions. The price difference is so small that it is really a non-factor. But I sure do hate the chipseal. He also said that there are often considerations for cycling routes. For example....1585 on the outside of Lubbock is supposed to be non-chipseal aggregate and a wider shoulder in the future especially for the cycling community.

I have a once used Torhans Aero Z that I will be parting with soon. Right after I purchased it I decided to go to the Praying Landis position and the AeroZ does not work well with that position because of where the outlet is located. PM me if your interested.

Quote Reply
Re: Post your Bike numbers from BSLT70.3 to check my own efficiency [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That will be very helpful. I will definitely check that out.

Quote Reply
Re: Post your Bike numbers from BSLT70.3 to check my own efficiency [scrub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea, the course would be a lot faster without the chip seal. I don't know why TxDOT loves the chip seal so much, but it does. An argument can be made that asphalt is cheaper and tolerates harsh weather better, but TxDOT doesn't seem to care.

Chipseal reduces fuel mileage ~10%. Even if it gets smoothed down the tar is softer and stickier.

They're in love with that crap in NM also. I saw them putting it on the freeway near Albuquerque a few months ago.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Uncle builds roads in the Lubbock(Panhandle) area and I asked him about why chipseal is so widely used these days. He said the main reason is that it is much safer to drive on. Especially in wet/icy conditions.

Really? They chipsealed the main highway where I live, and the oil bled through in the summer and caused an accident. So they brought the big machines out and textured it. It's not like asphalt is dangerously slippery.

When you consider how much chipseal reduces fuel mileage, it clearly has no reason to exist.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a solid time on this course, especially at 170+ lbs. Nice ride.

From my Garmin 500:

Distance: 55.86
Time: 2:32:43 (avg 21.9mph)
NP: 202w
AP: 188w
FTP: 250w

5'9", 145lbs

Trek Speed Concept 7.5
Flo 60 front, Flo disc rear, both with Conti GP4000s ii 23mm (butyl tubes)
LG P-09 helmet w/ glasses
X-Lab Torpedo BTA, X-Lab Aero TT on downtube
Stages PM

Wind was light for this course, slight head/cross coming back in though (I had been expecting a S wind, but it was more SW/WSW). It's definitely not a fast course, I was 17+ mins faster at Galveston this year on the same AP.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Time: 2:38:11
Speed: 21.24 mph
Power: 189/201 AP/NP (from memory)
Height: 6'-0"
Weight: 158ish

Gear:
2011 Speed Concept 9 series
HED Jet 9s with Conti Attack/Force and latex tubes
BTA and behind the seat bottle (nothing on the frame)
Rudy Wingspan
Kiwami sleeveless one piece

I need to work on my turtle shrug.

Support cancer research with the world's longest annual charity bike ride.
Texas 4000 for Cancer
Austin, TX to Anchorage, Alaska
http://texas4000.org/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are my stats:

Time: 2:24
Speed: 23.3
Power (AVG): 224
Power (Norm): 232
Elevation Gain: 1319

Was on a P5, with H3 and disc, Bell aero helmet, torpedo bottle up front, aero bottle on the downtube, and a bottle tucked behind my seat. I am 5'8" and about 145lbs, with an FTP of around 315

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5'11, 155 lbs.
2:27 bike split
22.98 mph
avg hr 163(was using Bslt as my IM Boulder prep race so no taper)
NP 241 watts
avg cad 84
Giant trinity advanced, di2
Rotor q rings 54x39, 11x25 cassette
Quote Reply