Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Using a spare tubular in a clincher rim?
Quote | Reply
I have heard that if you get a flat on a clincher, you can run a tubular as a spare as it sits down in the tire well.

Has anyone actually ever done this?

My Zipp 900 is tubular and I want to expand my front wheel options without carrying double flat kits.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Using a spare tubular in a clincher rim? [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely....done it several times with no issues.

But you gotta be REALLY careful going around turns. Dunno if it is the best answer as a race solution unless your goal is to just get through the bike leg at that point.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not safe at all. the point of a tubular is that it is physically glued to the rim. a clincher is more or less held in place by a hook shape of the rim interacting with a corresponding bead shape on the tire forced into place by air pressure.

can it be done in a pinch.... sure... would I feel safe on it. nope.

there's the oddball tufo tubular clincher as well, which is essentially a tubular tire with the corresponding clincher bead as part of the base strip.

In any case... tubular tire on tubular rim. clincher tire on clincher rim, don't every try to mix and match.
Last edited by: cderalow: May 27, 15 9:14
Quote Reply
Re: Using a spare tubular in a clincher rim? [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok so it sounds like if I want to race on this combo, then just carry an extra tube or hope sealant works.

Thanks for the response.

/kj

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I blew a tubie on a clincher last summer. And promptly cut the tubie about five miles later. And rode the flat home at 22 MPH. Just don't be stupid on the corners and it's not bad at all.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can it be done - Yes in an emergency as others stated being very careful turning corners. but I don't understand why you would want to carry the extra bulk of a tubular over an extra tube? I think I could fit 4 clincher tuned in the same space that one replacement tubular occupy. what am I missing here?
Quote Reply
Re: Using a spare tubular in a clincher rim? [sdbanker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The thought is I would need a spare tubular anyways for the rear disk. Wondering if it could pull double duty as a spare for the front (clincher).

/kj

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He wants to carry only a tubular to cover both his tubular disc and clincher front, thus eliminating the need for a tube as well.

He isn't looking trying to decide between an extra tube or a tubular....he is considering a "one size...err, tubular, fits all" solution.

edit - what he said ^^. Wink

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Last edited by: Power13: May 27, 15 12:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah I missed that part of his OP. the better solution is to sell me the tubular disc and buy a clincher instead. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll trade you my 900 tubular straight up for a super9 carbon clincher!

/kj

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what am I missing here?

The inability of some/many triathletes to change a tube on a clincher. It's a 2 - 3 min. task. And then you are off again. I really don't know what the big deal is.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Using a spare tubular in a clincher rim? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally agree. Just practice it just like the other parts of your preparation.
Quote Reply
Re: Using a spare tubular in a clincher rim? [triguy1956] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
????......Did you guys read the thread? It had nothing to do with an ability / inability to install a tube in a clincher.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
like I said earlier, I missed that in his OP. that 's what I get for reading slowtwitch at work on a small phone screen.

KJ i am sure you would trade for a super 9 cc! but I don't have one. if you do want to sell the tub PM me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A spare clincher tube is so small that you should be able to stash one somewhere on the bike. It doesn't seem to be worth the risk of rolling the tubular off the clincher rim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy a tubular front wheel.. .
Just carry sealant for both..

I have an unused HED stinger 4 tub.. on the Gold Coast in Oz if that helps at all?
Quote Reply