Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sea to Summit: Best IMLP/IMMONTTREMBLANT warm up race.....
Quote | Reply
Our race is June 27th. This give you one month to "recover" for IMLP and 7 or 8 weeks for Mont Tremblant. Here is what most people don't know about Sea to Summit. While it is a tough race, you recover from it very quickly. Our swim is going to be 45-60 minutes for most, you then have a 95 mile bike to Mount Washington then a hike up the mountain. The thing most don't realize is while its a tough slog up the mountain, the pounding on your legs is minimal. Most people get right back into their training two days after the race. So if you are looking to utilize all that fitness for more than just one day, check us out at
http://www.s2striathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Sea to Summit: Best IMLP/IMMONTTREMBLANT warm up race..... [Jeff Spicoli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't wait for this race!
After IMMT last year (my first), I was looking for more of an adventure type of race and Sea to Summit seems perfect.
Has the bike route been finalized?
Quote Reply
Re: Sea to Summit: Best IMLP/IMMONTTREMBLANT warm up race..... [Jeff Spicoli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm hoping to do it next year with a friend who doesn't have a qualifying half for entry this year. So it's a two-year plan for him. Six hours shouldn't be a problem--he biked up Mt. Washington last summer in 1:32. He's a good runner and decent swimmer. We can't wait to get back and do it on foot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Should have the makings of an epic race and a memorable one too
Quote Reply
Re: Sea to Summit: Best IMLP/IMMONTTREMBLANT warm up race..... [Maui5150] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5 spots left
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am jealous. Took the drive from Vancouver BC to Whistler in January and fortunately it was a sunny day. Probably the most beautiful, scenic drive I have ever seen.

John Snyder @URNotAsCoolAsMe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My sherpa dropped out for the race. Would anyone be willing to share theirs for race day? I am only concerned about the second transition and getting off the summit, I can arrange my way back to my car post-race. I'd be willing to pay for gas and a hotel room if necessary.
Quote Reply
Re: Sea to Summit: Best IMLP/IMMONTTREMBLANT warm up race..... [twwphilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I'm trying to finalize my plans for the hike up and am starting to wonder what some other people may be doing in terms of carrying their required supplies. It says we will need a minimum of 24oz water, food supply, windbreaker, hat and gloves to be allowed up. I was originally thinking of a camelback but am starting to wonder if I would be better off with a typical small size backpack to put my supplies in. Reason being besides carrying water there is not much room for anything else in my current camelback it's really small. Maybe a bar or 2 at most would fit. Anyone on here doing the race care to share their ideas?
Last edited by: gerardm: May 27, 15 15:32
Quote Reply
Re: Sea to Summit: Best IMLP/IMMONTTREMBLANT warm up race..... [gerardm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you want the lightest set up possible for going uphill. so camelback w/ h20, food, and minimal windbreaker/hat/gloves etc. there is water a little ways past Hojos, its a pump well so it takes about 1 minute of pumping to get the water flowing but if you want to fill up there thats an option. here's the ravine 2 days ago, still alot of snow

Quote Reply
Re: Sea to Summit: Best IMLP/IMMONTTREMBLANT warm up race..... [jflan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and here's looking down the TRT from the floor of the ravine, little river flowing down the trail

Quote Reply
Re: Sea to Summit: Best IMLP/IMMONTTREMBLANT warm up race..... [jflan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks cool! I'm doing IMMT, but it won't work this year. Next year I won't be doing an IM - this could be a fun option!

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Sea to Summit: Best IMLP/IMMONTTREMBLANT warm up race..... [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
according to this guy there is still some snow up there on the TRT, hopefully should be gone in 3 wks
https://www.strava.com/...s/318499484/overview
Quote Reply
Re: Sea to Summit: Best IMLP/IMMONTTREMBLANT warm up race..... [gerardm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be using a light trail running / biking backpack from Deuter, with all the required stuff for unpredictable weather below, an Osprey 2 L reservoir (which I'll probably fill up about 3/4) and some chews and granola bars.
I weighted all of it to about 10 lbs and have been carrying it on my trail runs/power hikes. It's surprisingly stable, fairly cool with airy mesh back support, has an expandable zip and integrated rain cover.
I may be overdoing it but last time I was on Mt Washington, we wore all of our layers we had in our pack once above the treeline via Boott Spur. I guess we'll adjust at T2 depending on the weather.
Safe travels, happy preparations and looking forward to see you there.

Quote Reply
Re: Sea to Summit: Best IMLP/IMMONTTREMBLANT warm up race..... [Philsnick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please report back in after the race! Especially with regards to "build your own" bike course and how that all works out.

This is on the short list of races for next year!

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Roll call for who is in for this race?

I am traveling from flat, hot and sunny Florida. So i am concerned about the weather (low 59 high of only 70 - should be nice?) and climbing involved. I am looking forward to the adventure! Anyone else in the old men division (50+)?

rich
Quote Reply
Re: Sea to Summit: Best IMLP/IMMONTTREMBLANT warm up race..... [lushrm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in, racing sunday too...that might have been a mistake
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about a recap of the event, from RD or participants?
How was the weather?
How did logistics go for everyone?

Biggest surprise on race day?

Its on the family calendar for next year.

Tad

It took awhile, but I finally discovered that its not the destination that's important, but rather the journey.
Quote Reply
Re: Sea to Summit: Best IMLP/IMMONTTREMBLANT warm up race..... [TMT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The event was absolutely awesome. Hands down it was one of the funnest things I have ever done, period. Overall I would highly recommend this race to anyone thinking about doing it if they get the chance. Everything went smoothly from start to finish. Jeff the RD really did an outstanding job organizing the event and keeping everyone in the loop as the date drew closer about what to expect. We all were also very lucky in that the weather for the event was perfect. Little to no wind on the bike, clear skies, low humidity. Truly a picture perfect day.

-- Specifics --

## Day Before / Pre-Race Meeting
Everyone met at the starting point around 5:30 the night before. Jeff went over every bit of the race in detail. Letting us know exactly what to expect at every different stage of the race. From there we all hiked down to the swim start and went over water temps, current directions, swim exit strategies and how to best utilize the help of your sherpas.

## Swim
Everyone was in the water around 4:50 ish and the 1.5 mile swam began right at 5am as promised. The water temp was perfect I would put it at around mid 60's. Actually here and there you would swim through a quick cool spot and it felt pretty refreshing. No need for neoprene caps or booties or anything like that on this day. The current was very mild and for the most part unnoticeable. Simple up the river down the river swim, no confusing turns or anything like that.

## T1
Here's where you treated to the first real taste of the whole adventure. The swim exit was quick climb up the side wall of the river. There was plenty of volunteers there helping you make your way and climb up over the tree roots. It was really cool and the scenery itself from being in the trail was beautiful. From there everyone put on some shoes and then ran a little over a quarter mile through the wooded trail up some logged stairs and into the transition field.

## Bike Course
The course was very scenic and the 92 miles seemed to go by in an instant. The roads were in great shape and there was very little traffic except for the few times you would get passed by you or someone else's sherpa in a car. In terms of navigating the course I ended up mapping the suggested route into my Garmin Edge and used that to navigate and it worked fine. Stats for the bike course for me came in right at 92 miles and 5,102 ft of climbing.

## T2
T2 was in the parking lot of Wildcat Ski Mountain about 3/4 of a mile passed the trail head. Here your sherpa was waiting and had your hiking bag pre checked by the race officials. You were looked over quick by a nurse and the RD before getting the go ahead. Really it only took a minute or two and you were on your way. If anyone is wondering I used an Osprey Rev6 1.5L hiking backpack. It worked out perfectly. Held all the required stuff and then some if needed. I didn't even notice it was there to be honest.

## Run/Hike
Of course this was the highlight of the event. The hike was incredible. The first 2.5 miles or so was a combination of a very slow jog to a speed walk. It wasn't steep at this point but the gradient never let up. The entire hike itself is all rocks. It's not a dirt trail or anything like that. So you are basically just looking down hopping and jumping from one rock to another. Occasionally along the first part you would have to make some bigger leaps to cross little dips in the trail. Nothing crazy at all. Along this part you are treated to a few waterfalls and other forest views.

Originally the race was supposed to go up the Tuckerman Ravine trail the entire way but it was still closed at this point. Instead we ended up taking Lions Head. This is where things got interesting. As soon as you take the turn onto the trail you are basically going what feels like straight up. You are no longer running or jogging, you are bouldering from one giant rock to another. Twisting and turning your way up the mountain. As you start to come above the tree line you could definitely feel it get cooler but it felt great. The views from this part of the hike were breathtaking. We were lucky enough to have a picture perfect day with clear skies and very little wind. You could see out for what seemed like forever. Once over the face of Lions Head you start coming into what I believe is called the alpine garden. The steepness of the trail lets up a bit here as compared to Lions Head but you are without a doubt still going up a mountain. There were people everywhere cheering you on as you went passed. Before you know it you were at the road and just had a few more stairs and a small little pile of rocks to tackle before finishing directly at the summit sign and giving it a little love tap.

Hike stats for me came in at 5 miles even and 4,295 ft of climbing.

-- General Times --
Swim: 0:35
Bike: 4:35
Hike: 2:00
T1/T2: 5-7 minutes combined
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Little over two months out from Sea to Summit. I am pumped for this race any veterans of this race have some helpful tips regarding the bike setup (ex: gearing, race wheels, disc?) and hike? I am trying to come up with a strategy with my Sherpa for the bike section and best route. It looks like the proposed route on the website is the best bet for the bike.
Quote Reply