Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Sleep--how much ya getting?
Quote | Reply
The thread on the number of days folks on this board train--which showed a remarkable level of dedication from those willing to post--has me curious, do any of you sleep and if so, how much per night on average? I'll go first, 6 hours a night.
Quote Reply
Re: Sleep--how much ya getting? [Jimbo77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Average about 7

We try to stop doing whatever we are doing and get ready for bed around 10ish on weeknights, walk the dogs, brush teeth and bedroom cardio usually gets us lights off a little after 11. My alarm starts annoying the GF around 5:30 and i'm usually out of bed by 6:30.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome thread, I'll be fascinated to follow this and see how sleep corresponds to performance/focus.

Me: Asleep by 8, up before 5, 9 hours average. My wife and I are old people. So so old.

------
David Roche
Some Work, All Play podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/...ll-play/id1521532868
Coaching: https://swaprunning.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I train 7 days a week and I sleep 8.5h a night during the weekdays and I add in 2 extra naps on the weekends when volume goes up.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get around 7. I go to bed early by most standards. I am usually in bed no later than 8:30 or so. I keep the same schedule 7 days a week. I am very much a morning person so this is good for me. My training mostly occurs in the morning.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6-7 hours a night during the week, 7-8 on the weekend. Train generally 7 days a week, but not much more than 11 hours a week this time of year (6 rides, 4 runs).

I wanna go fast!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7 m-f and 8 s-s

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
9pm-5am daily
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a high school honors student (senior), software engineering intern, training 15-18 hours/week. I get 6-7 MF and 9-10 S-S. I'm usually in bed by 9:30-10:30 and up at 4:30-4:45 for AM swim before school (school starts at 7:30).

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
8-9 hours every night. Can't beat a good sleep

http://www.thedeludedcyclist.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Varies by the day. During the week it depends on what time swimming is the next morning. I sleep later on the weekends generally.

On the days I get up at 4:45 for swimming, I usually get 7 hours of sleep (3x a week). On the days I get up at 6 for swimming, it would be closer to 8 hours (2X a week).
On the weekends I try to get 9 hours of sleep, but if I didn't set an alarm and just slept until I got up, it would be more than 10 hours. Which makes me think I don't get enough during the week

Team Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Average 6-7 hours of interrupted sleep. Usually awake for about five minutes but sometimes stretches to couple hours. Currently track sleep and when my quality is in the 80 percent range, I notice an improvement in the quality of my WKOs. If sleep quality is poor, I'll adjust WKOs acvordingly.
Developed insomnia last season and it really had a negative impact on performance from both a mental and physical perspective. Made me realize the importance of recovery
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Between 6 and 7 hours a night. It seems like I wake up after 6 - 6.5 hours, even if it means I wake up at 3 am (which is annoying). I try to go to bed a bit earlier to try to get more sleep/ hopefully recover better, but just can't seem to sleep longer.
However, if it is 3- 3:30 am when I wake up, I will usually go back to bed after going to the bathroom, and I might be able to get another 1/2 hour to an hour shuteye. Just because I hate waking up before 4am (although waking AT 4am is okay).

I generally train early in the morning 3 days a week, and twice a week in the evening, FWIW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the house of a 15 month old... I workout (mostly) and sleep when she sleeps. Her typical schedule is 6:30-6:30 so my schedule is:

Mon-Wed Nights: 9pm-4:50am (and running/on trainer by 5am).
Sun/Thu Nights: 9:30pm-5:30am (in the pool at 6am as Mommy doesnt work Monday+Fridays)
Fri/Sat Nights: 10:00pm-6:30am. (workout when she naps)

This week, I'm completely hammered with the worst jet lag I've ever had (JST->PST) and I'm still getting hitting my targets with only 2-4 hours of sleep per night.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say on average 8 hours each night....with 3 young kids, there is no sleeping in on weekends.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
8 to 9 per night.

In bed by 7 pm, up each morning at 4 am. Do training from 5 am to 7 or 8:30

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
week: work MF 6:45-5:30pm so try to get at least 7 each night but have been waking up a few times per night over the last 2 weeks...hard workouts are mostly done in the evening and i think that whats interfering with my sleep.

weekend: up saturdays for 7am swim and then maybe a nap during the day. Sunday is "sleep-in" day but my body gets uneasy staying in bed past 9.30am unless the gf is up for it if you know what i mean
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jimbo77 wrote:
The thread on the number of days folks on this board train--which showed a remarkable level of dedication from those willing to post--has me curious, do any of you sleep and if so, how much per night on average? I'll go first, 6 hours a night.

My average sleep is around 9 hr/nt, 7 days/wk. In apparent contrast to most, I am NOT, and have never been, a morning person, so i sleep from around 11 pm to 8 am, work 9 to 4, train 4 pm to 8 pm (total time including social, shower, etc), then eat, read, etc. This is my schedule 7 days/wk. I work for myself at home so i set my own schedule.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7 to 8 average. Goes to bed between 10-11, wakes up 5:30 to 6:00.

I try to cram 10-12h per week of training in there (married with 2 young children - evenings are not available for any types of workouts). Some weeks I feel I could PR all week, some others (like this week) I feel I could use 7 days of rest :)
Quote Reply
Re: Sleep--how much ya getting? [lordhong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I average 8-9 every night, in bed by 8:30 max, and wake up by 5 most mornings on week days. On weekends I "sleep in" till 6 or 7. The glorious thing about training for my first IM is that for the first time ever, my insomnia is gone. It is awesome. I have never slept better in my life.

http://www.runandtrimommy.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aim for 7.5hrs during the week and usually get it. On the weekends probably an extra hour until summer when long runs and rides encroach.

Munq
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
8 per night during the week, often 10 on the weekend. I have sleep apnea and normally wake up every 90 minutes during REM sleep. Train daily, 9 to 10 hrs per wk these days. Age 55. No TV in the house, but waste plenty o' time on the computer. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I track my sleep and according to my app I average 7:15 per night. I don't mind getting up early but I hate working out early, so I do as much as possible after work or at lunch. Tuesday and Thursday I swim in a masters group at 5:30am so I'm up by 4:45, but MWF I'm not up until 6am usually. On weekends I'm normally up by 7:30am. Monday and Wednesday I aim to be in bed by 9pm, Sun/tues/thurs by 10pm, and whatever on the weekends. I also play hockey on Tuesday nights so that usually throws off my schedule a bit as games are generally late (sometimes not home until midnight or later).

First baby due to arrive in 4weeks so I'm sure my schedule will change dramatically ;)
Last edited by: Dgconner154: Jan 30, 15 16:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7-7.5 hours S-Th, 7.5-8 F-Sa; currently train 8 hours/week. 12-18 hours /week training later this spring/summer (IMLP 2015) will require +1hr sleep per day.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Blog: https://swimbikerunrinserepeat.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I downloaded an app too that supposed to show how deep you sleep and the efficiency of sleep. Not sure how accurate that is but I've been using it to dump the total sleep into the iPhone health app. Averaging about 7.5 hours. Would like to get about 8 hours but never seems to happen. I often work out after the family is in bed (after 8 pm). I then have every intention to get to bed right away but it never happens. After everybody else is in bed is the only time to myself to watch what I want on T.V.

I can definitely tell in my workouts when I've gone consecutive days with little sleep. I'll also admit to staying up too late searching ST forums for that one tiny bit of info that might make me 2 seconds faster when I should just go to bed and get a good night sleep!

And you jerks with your innuendo about the sleep you miss because of what the GF wants can blow it out your a$$. After 17 years of marriage and kids I think I value the sleep more! Never thought I would admit that :(
Quote Reply

Prev Next