Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Road bike stem with Di2 integration?
Quote | Reply
Looking for a road stem that is designed for Di2 use. Something to hide the front junction box and clean things up. Is the 3T Integra Team the only option I have with the cut out compartment on the under side? Any other options that would work?
Last edited by: burninglegs: Jan 15, 15 21:59
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike stem with Di2 integration? [burninglegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just as a note I am running the EW90 3 port junction.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tririg has one and I don't know of any others to be honest. Others on here will I am sure.

http://www.tririg.com/store.php?c=sigma

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike stem with Di2 integration? [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sigma is for tt/tri setup. Need something for a road bike setup. I thought of the Sigma but 90mm is just not going to work. Plus I don't think they can hold and 3/5 port junction box.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're right it's only 90mm and the newer 3/5 port boxes don't work entirely seamlessly. But the stem works great on road bikes if you had the stem in mind when putting your Di2 setup together it works well. When my bike goes Di2 this is the route I am taking for a stem. Would work great on my AR5 with ENVE SES aero roadbars. All internal routing back to the stem and only a single wire for the center pull Omega's up front with a computer mount out in front. That's as clean a front end as I think you can get in the market today. If he did offer it in more lengths that would be great and an updated version for 3/5 port boxes somehow. I think if he made those tweaks he'd move so many more of these, especially with the road bike market tipping towards "Aero is everything" these days. It would even be nice to see a super high end carbon version for fun

Nick is a regular contributor here on ST so maybe he can add or correct me comment on product updates etc, but I think he's said most of it in his articles already.

"First of all, the Sigma is dead easy to use. It is designed around the 1-1/8" steerer standard, meaning that it will bolt on to just about any standard fork on the market, just like any standard stem. It will work with tri bikes and road bikes alike."

"...adding a stem cover like this requires that you commit to the length of your steerer tube, we made sure it wasn't a part of the stem's functional structure. That is, if you aren't totally sure about what your steerer tube length should be, you can ride the Sigma without the cable cover, so that you can continue to play with spacers above or below the stem, and only cut the steerer tube when you're sure about your stack."

"But fear not, dear readers. I've not only found out how to hide Di2 6770 and 9070 (the latest e-tube systems) within a TriRig Sigma stem, but basically bring back the minimalism of that original Di2 junction box, making it MUCH easier to make custom hidden Di2 setups on virtually any bike you like."

It would be similar to this but with drops.

------
Last edited by: cshowe80: Jan 15, 15 23:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Blk-tec M1 stem looks great but unfortunately I don't know where you could get them...

http://www.blktec-cycles.com/#!stems/c1k2s
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I agree 100% with you. That is one clean setup. Just doesn't offer enough lengths nor would the 90mm would for me. Oh well. Maybe one day. Right now it seems the 3T is the only one that would work. I'm just surprised that this isn't a bigger part of the market. Di2 has been out for how long now, 5-6 years?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about the 3T Integra stem?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah it's amazing to me as well! If I were designing it I'd make it some kind of spring loaded cartridge you can just insert into the stem and push to "lock" in. Then you could take the box out for charging or maintenance etc. I'm no engineer however so either people just find no glory in stem designs or there is a reason behind that. I actually find that cyclists are slow at adopting things. Maybe it has a lot of it has to do with pro cycling and the UCI regulations. That or the mechanics are skeptical that stems with a slot for junctions boxes / two piece stems will "affect stiffness and control in the steering" or something silly. I find Triathletes to be quick on the uptake in contrast and it causes a bit of a paradoxical situation.

Great kick start camping for those brave enough to venture there. (Hint Hint)

------
Last edited by: cshowe80: Jan 16, 15 7:17
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike stem with Di2 integration? [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup. 3T Integra Team and the TriRig Sigma are the only two "mass" produced ones I know of. Sigma won't work for me. Hence I'm wondering about any other options to the 3T.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I emailed the BLKTEC guys and this is what they had to say about the M1 ... Just as an FYI.

"Thanks for your email. We are working on perfecting the M1 so it won't be available yet. However we are coming out with an even more badass set up in March. Fully integrated handle bar and stem with di2 box hidden with internal routing. I will keep you updated."

Patience may pay off in this case if you are willing/able to wait 2 more months. Thats also assuming they hit these time lines.

------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Canyon has a bar/stem that tucks away the junction box

http://www.canyon.com/...kes/bike.html?b=3519

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome. Thanks for the heads up regarding the BLKTEC option. Might be worth waiting for. I already have a Zipp SL-70 aero that I like and want to keep using. So not sure I need the fully integrated bar and stem. Just need a stem.
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike stem with Di2 integration? [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That Canyon setup looks really nice. I looked around and I don't think they sell that bar separately. At least I couldn't find it. Plus as I mentioned above, I really want to keep using my Zipp bar. Would be nice to just have a stem that could hide the junction box. But I guess if you don't have the integrated bar and stem, you can't get as clean of wire/cable routing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cshowe80 wrote:
Nick is a regular contributor here on ST so maybe he can add or correct me comment on product updates etc, but I think he's said most of it in his articles already.
So, you *can* use the '90 junctions in the Sigma XF, but you need to file down the plastic tabs ordinarily used to attach the stock rubber strap. Regarding future products, my lips are sealed for now. But I can say that I'm always working on new things, and 2015 is shaping up to be VERY cool :-)

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Came across some pictures. I wonder if it will look like this?

http://www.bikerumor.com/...stems-carbon-wheels/
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike stem with Di2 integration? [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to confirm, can a 5 port junction be filed-down and made to fit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burninglegs wrote:
Looking for a road stem that is designed for Di2 use. Something to hide the front junction box and clean things up. Is the 3T Integra Team the only option I have with the cut out compartment on the under side? Any other options that would work?

It'll be a few more months but there will be many options. Check Eurobike.
I did a DIY for now because I'm impatient and have some extra tools to help.
https://scontent-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...8fa6&oe=5587AAC7
-SD
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike stem with Di2 integration? [caamano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
caamano wrote:
Yes. The 3-port fits slightly better, because it's shorter. But you can get the 5-port in there too. It's just very tight.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to check is this the new 3 and 5 port boxes that will fit? I am looking to order one these stems and get it shipped to Norway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I need a 130mm stem. Anything like this?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike stem with Di2 integration? [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave

Curious to know what you know. Can't wait to see these new options. Still really impressed by your personal modifications.
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike stem with Di2 integration? [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
https://scontent-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...8fa6&oe=5587AAC7 -SD
That is nice and clean. Since the Di2 shifters each have 3-ports, I would think we could eliminate the 3-port juntion box by using an e-tube wire to connect the left shift lever to the right, then use a long wire from one of the shifters to the 4-port junction at the down tube/bottom bracket. For charging the battery, firmware updates, or troubleshooting, you could use the extra wire from bridging the shifters to connect the 3-port junction inline with the wire that bridges the shifters.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike stem with Di2 integration? [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ms6073 wrote:
SuperDave wrote:
https://scontent-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...8fa6&oe=5587AAC7 -SD

That is nice and clean. Since the Di2 shifters each have 3-ports, I would think we could eliminate the 3-port juntion box by using an e-tube wire to connect the left shift lever to the right, then use a long wire from one of the shifters to the 4-port junction at the down tube/bottom bracket. For charging the battery, firmware updates, or troubleshooting, you could use the extra wire from bridging the shifters to connect the 3-port junction inline with the wire that bridges the shifters.

You need the "brain" in the junction A. JC41 will not work here. I used the EW-6770 because it is smaller and ligher than the 3 port although your idea does work when you connect L&R shifter, run 1 wire to the BB area and include a 5 port junction to plug in:

Battery
RD
FD
shifters
leave one "port" open

This is a good set up for tandems or for bikes like cyclo-cross bicycles that you want to keep the junction A away from a pressure washer. The junction will fit inside the BB area if the access hole made for Junction B is large enough or if you have the patience to fish all the wires to their exit ports simultaneously.

That is how I wired my AR, there are no Di2 holes in the frame except the exit hole for the F/D and R/D. Nothing at the top tube/head tube and nothing at the BB area.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
caamano wrote:

Yes. The 3-port fits slightly better, because it's shorter. But you can get the 5-port in there too. It's just very tight.

I'm curious how you got this to fit. I filed off the plastic pieces on the bottom of the 5-port junction but it's still not even close to fitting. However, I have about 10mm of steerer tube sticking out above the stem clamp. Does the extra 10mm need to be cut off in order to fit the junction?
Quote Reply

Prev Next