Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM AZ Gearing
Quote | Reply
  Deciding on gearing for AZ. I have ridden an 11-28 the past few years for hilly courses as I like the 28 to keep from power surges. I am debating 11-23 vs 11-25 for AZ. Is there anything remotely steep on the course or just the gradual climb out on the Beeline? I am a strong cyclist, goal 4:40-4:45 for IM AZ bike.
Quote Reply
Re: IM AZ Gearing [Dnowak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
11- 23 if you are planning to go that fast.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: IM AZ Gearing [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryan, thanks for your response. From reading old posts you have obviously had success of this course. Is there any point on the bike where you are in your easiest gear or does it never get to that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, the only way you might would be if it is REALLY windy and you are heading into it, but you want that 23 to crush the downhill portions and or tail winds. The course never has any meaningful climbs with the exception of the bridge at Rural Rd over the lake, but that is very short.

Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been training on a 12-25. What do you about using this set up for AZ?
Last edited by: spintela: Oct 18, 14 8:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
No, the only way you might would be if it is REALLY windy and you are heading into it, but you want that 23 to crush the downhill portions and or tail winds. The course never has any meaningful climbs with the exception of the bridge at Rural Rd over the lake, but that is very short.

?? A 23 for tailwinds and downhill sections? Or did you mean the 11?

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: IM AZ Gearing [spintela] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spintela wrote:
I have been training on a 12-25. What do you about using this set up for AZ?

What is your front? Compact or...?

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: IM AZ Gearing [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 53/39 chainring 12-25 cassette
Last edited by: spintela: Oct 18, 14 8:19
Quote Reply
Re: IM AZ Gearing [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not the op but am interested.

I have compact and 11/25

I'm planning on sitting at 200 watts for 5 hours....157 pounds,

I don't figure to be using either end of the gearing on this course...is that a good assumption?
Quote Reply
Re: IM AZ Gearing [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Bryancd wrote:

?? A 23 for tailwinds and downhill sections? Or did you mean the 11?

Yes., sorry. :)

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
52/26 with 11-23 back... fly fly fly. No hills at AZ. Rode last year with 50/34 and 12/25 and was not enough coming back down beeline...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dnowak wrote:
Deciding on gearing for AZ. I have ridden an 11-28 the past few years for hilly courses as I like the 28 to keep from power surges. I am debating 11-23 vs 11-25 for AZ. Is there anything remotely steep on the course or just the gradual climb out on the Beeline? I am a strong cyclist, goal 4:40-4:45 for IM AZ bike.

I rode a 54/39 and 11-23. No need for hill gearing on that course. It's a gradual climb the last five miles or so to the turnaround on the Beeline. Not that it was challenging at all but it's more of a climb than expected. Reading ST you'd think it was as flat as Cozumel or IMMD but it's not. It's flat... just not that flat.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: GMAN19030: Oct 18, 14 8:55
Quote Reply
Re: IM AZ Gearing [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
52/26's, 54/59's.....23's for "crushing" the downhills.....

AZ must be the strangest bike course out there!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I fixed my typo. :-)

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: IM AZ Gearing [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spoilsport!! Wink

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha! A 52/26 sure would be interesting...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dnowak wrote:

11-23. No doubt. 11-21 if you have one (you're a Shimano 10spd rider). A lot of folks don't; no one makes an 11-21 11spd cassette that I know of and an 11-21 is not super useful for all but a few courses. Like IMAZ...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will only use the 10-17 gearing so the rest is useless. ( doesn't matter)

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: IM AZ Gearing [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Dnowak wrote:

11-23. No doubt. 11-21 if you have one (you're a Shimano 10spd rider). A lot of folks don't; no one makes an 11-21 11spd cassette that I know of and an 11-21 is not super useful for all but a few courses. Like IMAZ...

I'd LOVE to have an 11-21 here (Chicago).....but Shimano only made it for Dura-Ace and $150+ for a cassette is a bit spendy. Especially since the DA cogs wear a bit quickly.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To post a follow-up on this for future IM AZ races: I ordered an 11-23 cassette, but it didn't come in time before I left so I just raced on my 11-28 and am glad I did. I ended up riding a 4:42 so just what I expected. What I didn't expect what the very strong headwind which got stronger by the lap. I was going 13mph for a time on 3rd lap "climb" up to Shea. I was in the small ring and the 25 cassette for this and was very glad to have more gears than an 11-23. Coming back, could have definitely used a 10 or smaller though as I was going 45 mph with minimal effort. If I was to do again, I would go with an 11-25 or 11-26 in case there are high winds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dnowak wrote:
Coming back, could have definitely used a 10 or smaller though as I was going 45 mph with minimal effort. If I was to do again, I would go with an 11-25 or 11-26 in case there are high winds.

do you run a 55-42?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: IM AZ Gearing [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, standard 53-39. I didn't go into small ring until midway up beeline on 3rd lap. I was definitely surprised as I expected large ring entire way, but the wind kept getting stronger. First lap the "smallest" I went was 53 front- 19 cassette, on the second 53-22 and then 39-25 on the third. These were all for a short time when directly into the wind and almost at Shea. My time and wattage didn't vary much between the 3 laps (<2 min & <5 watts) so my effort was stable, but the wind was not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Surprised at your level you wouldn't consider a 55 for the return trips

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: IM AZ Gearing [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For this particular race, would have helped. But otherwise I am usually fine with the 53 when paired with an 11.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's really only a few places the 55 will definitely come in handy.... AZ, decent from Hawi in Kona, etc.

Quote Reply

Prev Next