Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Anyone attempt to combine CompuTrainer (or similar) & rollers? [wasusnowme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Digging up an old thread after riding my first set of rollers this winter and pondering some upgrades.

Did you ever get your CT to work well with your trainer? The CT would only contribute to part of the resistance load so its ability to add road feel would be reduced?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone attempt to combine CompuTrainer (or similar) & rollers? [RandyS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

How about this:

------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone attempt to combine CompuTrainer (or similar) & rollers? [kostya416] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That looks like a mil-spec computrainer? Fork is fixed, not rollers.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone attempt to combine CompuTrainer (or similar) & rollers? [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pantelones wrote:

Does it come with a step ladder to get on, it's a bit pricey at 3k also.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone attempt to combine CompuTrainer (or similar) & rollers? [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pantelones wrote:

LOL. Computrainer does not comes close (not trying to belittle it, it is very good) but Lynx is a totally different class.
--------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pantelones wrote:
Digging up an old thread after riding my first set of rollers this winter and pondering some upgrades.

Did you ever get your CT to work well with your trainer? The CT would only contribute to part of the resistance load so its ability to add road feel would be reduced?

Not to my satisfaction. The PowerBeam Pro worked a bit better, but, not what I was looking for. I am currently working on an Arduino based resistance unit that will provide both boost and resistance much like a Tacx Fortius...

I have a personality disorder, I don't drink coffee...
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone attempt to combine CompuTrainer (or similar) & rollers? [wasusnowme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wasusnowme wrote:
Not to my satisfaction. The PowerBeam Pro worked a bit better, but, not what I was looking for. I am currently working on an Arduino based resistance unit that will provide both boost and resistance much like a Tacx Fortius...

Along your idea of providing boost in addition to resistance. I was thinking it would make the system simpler if the front roller drum was motor driven and de-coupled from the drivetrain. You could drive it at higher proportional speeds relative the rear wheel to increase the stability. This complicates the system a bit but would make it easier implement the resistance on the rear drums.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone attempt to combine CompuTrainer (or similar) & rollers? [Rover24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rover24 wrote:

You use trainer as step ladder itself. It can hold an elephant. As for price you get what you pay for. If you want to try steep hills still with all proper inertial effects this is the only trainer on market that can do it. It also comes with collection of best quality and content wise road videos which is worth $$$ on it's own.
-------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone attempt to combine CompuTrainer (or similar) & rollers? [kostya416] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kostya416 wrote:
Rover24 wrote:

You use trainer as step ladder itself. It can hold an elephant. As for price you get what you pay for. If you want to try steep hills still with all proper inertial effects this is the only trainer on market that can do it. It also comes with collection of best quality and content wise road videos which is worth $$$ on it's own.
-------------------------------------------------

What species of elephant?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone attempt to combine CompuTrainer (or similar) & rollers? [Rover24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pantelones wrote:
wasusnowme wrote:

Along your idea of providing boost in addition to resistance. I was thinking it would make the system simpler if the front roller drum was motor driven and de-coupled from the drivetrain. You could drive it at higher proportional speeds relative the rear wheel to increase the stability. This complicates the system a bit but would make it easier implement the resistance on the rear drums.

The boost is not intended to provide stability. Its purpose would be to both lower low speed rolling resistance [rolling resistance on rollers at low speeds is generally greater than that seen riding outside] and to better mimic the effect of gravity in a programmed course profile. The ultimate goal is to have a set of rollers that will provide a better virtual riding experience than the current offerings...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wasusnowme wrote:
Pantelones wrote:
wasusnowme wrote:

The boost is not intended to provide stability. Its purpose would be to both lower low speed rolling resistance [rolling resistance on rollers at low speeds is generally greater than that seen riding outside] and to better mimic the effect of gravity in a programmed course profile. The ultimate goal is to have a set of rollers that will provide a better virtual riding experience than the current offerings...

Can you provide any details of the resistance/boost unit you are using? Or can you use motor controls to provide accurate resistance in addition to boost? I know just enough about motor controls to sound dumb.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pantelones wrote:
wasusnowme wrote:
Pantelones wrote:
wasusnowme wrote:

Can you provide any details of the resistance/boost unit you are using? Or can you use motor controls to provide accurate resistance in addition to boost? I know just enough about motor controls to sound dumb.

Still a work in progress. I am using an Arduino compatible dual motor controller. On one output I have a series of Electromagnets and on the other output I have a small DC Motor. My program increases current to the electromagnets as speed goes up and runs the motor as speed drops below a certain level. I still have a ways to go before it is seamless and sorted. I will probably need a larger motor in the end, however, the variable speed unit I have now responds well even if it isn't very powerful.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any update on your Arduino rollers? I have rollers and a CT, and am very interested in the project, as I would like to play on Zwift while on rollers.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone attempt to combine CompuTrainer (or similar) & rollers? [airborne.s2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that the weather has begun to be nice I have been riding outside. I will pick up the development again toward the end of Summer.

Quote Reply

Prev Next