Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Carbon Wheels?
Quote | Reply
Open, general question. I've got a 2013 QR cd0.1 with the Shimano aluminum wheels on it. I'm looking to switch to carbon, and wondering about favorites, how to best compare, etc. I live in FL, so there is basically no climbing in my riding life. There is a lot of wind, though, and often cross-wind as I ride along the coast. I've been considering the Fulcrum Racing Zeros in carbon, among others. Any input most welcome. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Wheels? [AllezPapa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is for triathlon racing?
What do you hope to gain by changing wheels?

Generally all that matters is aerodynamics. Get a disc rear and 60 or 80mm deep front wheel with good aero shaping to it.

Options abound:
Flo
Boyd
Williams
Zipp
HED
Profile Design

all have good wheels, as do others.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Wheels? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, and good point. I'm sure that grams are not my goal -- I can definitely save more of those off my own fat ass! So, as you said, aerodynamics are really what is at play.

This is for tri training/racing. The cross-winds have had me wondering about deeper wheels; one reason I was thinking about the Fulcrums. But, I may be over-thinking that.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Wheels? [AllezPapa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suggest not always training on your race wheels. You will preserve the expensive wheels longer, and you can leave good race tires on them, and keep those race tires free of cuts and wear, reducing the chance of flats on race day.

Repeat that again in your head till you believe it.

Now, as for crosswinds, the rear wheel is not a problem, you can use a disc in strong crosswinds, just makes you faster. The front wheel, some people have problems with this some don't. Usually a 60mm front wheel like a Zipp 404 or HED Jet 6 is fine for almost everybody. If you are a confident bike handler the deeper wheels like 808s and Jet9s are fine too, even on tiny women.

Just gotta try them to find out. Get a 404ish front wheel if you aren't sure. There isn't much time loss going with them anywyay.

AllezPapa wrote:
Thanks, and good point. I'm sure that grams are not my goal -- I can definitely save more of those off my own fat ass! So, as you said, aerodynamics are really what is at play.

This is for tri training/racing. The cross-winds have had me wondering about deeper wheels; one reason I was thinking about the Fulcrums. But, I may be over-thinking that.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply