Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Worried - Swim 70.3 Cozumel.
Quote | Reply
OK, I'm a slow swimmer, I'll admit it. In my last HIM my pace was about 2:20/100m and that was wearing a wetsuit. I'm out here in Cozumel and did a couple of swims in the Ocean out front of the Hotel. In 45 minutes I did just over 1Km. Which means a pace that is way slower than I've swam since I started. If this was a one off event I wouldn't be too worried but it has happened twice now. I'm hoping that my Garmin 310 just doesn't like salt water.

My question though is whether any one else has experienced a marked decrease in speed in the Ocean.

My concern is that if my Garmin is correct then I won't finish the swim within the 1:10 cutoff time and as part of a team, we are the last wave heading out so it is pretty hard to hide it if I'm that slow. In other HIMs I come in the back half of the MOPers so I'm also thinking that there may other folks in this situation.

Anyway, I plan to do a practise swim for 1/2 an hour or so tomorrow morning at the swim site and see how that goes.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Worried - Swim 70.3 Cozumel. [BCDon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Current affects the Coz course. Maybe current affected your practices. Sometimes, someone hardly escapes the start line, or if it's barely flowing, it's a cruise out and a drift back. My first practice there, it took me three times longer to reach the turn than I expected. Fortunately, with lighter current and more swimmers, race morning went as expected. Whatever the conditions, draft in the biggest group you find to get to that first turn quickly. Then, settle into the drift with the current, and finally, push in after the last turn.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what is the water like over there Don? Over here on the mainland the wind is coming from your direction so it has been choppy the last two days but 3 days ago it was super flat so that means it was choppy there. if you swam that day, expect your time to be faster as I doubt it will be choppy on Sunday. to early in teh season for a norte. i only ever swim in the sea so i have no clue to time there, sorry, but one thing i've noticed is that shallow over here is always slower (due to current and winds) and the course over there is nice and deep (compared to where i swim over here). I really think you'll be fine. i'll keep an eye out for you tomorrow am.
another difference in our waters is am swim vs pm swim. if you swam in the pm you likely had more current and wind. seas will be more calm in the am but over there (considering our weather here) you should be calm by now.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Last edited by: kathy_caribe: Sep 19, 14 14:53
Quote Reply
Re: Worried - Swim 70.3 Cozumel. [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've swam both AM and PM (today and 2 days ago) and both times were far slower than I expected. Plus, seeing as I'm in a team, we leave Dead Last so I have very little time to find someone to pull me along. And, as there aren't a lot of teams, there will only be (I'm guessing), 30 or so swimmers leaving at 7:31. As such I expect to be mostly on my own.

Which way will the current be flowing, when I first go out will I have the current with or against me. I'm assuming that if the current is against me then I should go out hard and use energy at the start to get to the turn around and then relax a bit on the way back. Otherwise, go out strong and then hard on the way back?

Anyway, I've had a couple of Sangrias in preparation.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BC Don,
Don't worry about it, you will be just fine. Garmins are usually off, the salt water is more bouyant, and the race environment will help you race faster. Just relax and all will be great.
Quote Reply