Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

DOUBLE TROUBLE Trail Race 9/14 - French Creek State Park
Quote | Reply
Anyone done this race before? 2x15k of trails at that hilly ass park makes for a tough day, I'm sure. I can't tell how from the race website how much support, if any, if provided on the course (water, nutrition etc.)? Any details, war stories would be appreciated...

http://www.pretzelcitysports.com/doubletrouble.html

Who's in?!
Quote Reply
Re: DOUBLE TROUBLE Trail Race 9/14 - French Creek State Park [cyfac06] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bump

Any firsthand info on the course - how technical are the trails? - and support provided (or lack thereof) would be appreciated. Understood that this race may not be on the ST radar.
Quote Reply
Re: DOUBLE TROUBLE Trail Race 9/14 - French Creek State Park [cyfac06] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done this 2-3 times.
I did the double once, I forget if I did Single Trouble once or twice.
It's a good race. It's not super technical, but, IIRC, it is pretty consistently technical - I remember the trails being pretty rocky, not to the point where you had to change your gait, just to the point where you had to pay attention to where you landed most of the time. After 15 miles that wears on you. But if you've done the other races around there, esp. half wit, it's not as hard a course.
Doing the course 2x is pretty hard, and the one time I did that I was pretty much alone for that full second lap. I also did the double on a really hot day (it used to be in July) and that didn't help matters.
No real recollection of the on-course support, but it woudn't have been much. Water, maybe gatorade, but I wouldn't count on gatorade and certainly not on gels.
There may be a more substantial rest point at the half-way point for those who do both laps, but that still leaves you w/9+ miles to go.
I'd gladly do the race again (not in town right now) but 95% chance I'd do the one-lap version.
Hope this helps!
-Charles
Quote Reply
Re: DOUBLE TROUBLE Trail Race 9/14 - French Creek State Park [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you very much!

I've only done road cycling around there as part of my typical AmZof prep. Rocky trails won't be great for my one bum ankle, but the weather looks nice, so I'll probably give it a go. Shooting for the full 30k, albeit at a pretty conservative pace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
did you go? i'm looking for a race report. :-D
i bet yesterday's rain made it a little tougher.
Last edited by: dsmallwood: Sep 14, 14 7:13
Quote Reply
Re: DOUBLE TROUBLE Trail Race 9/14 - French Creek State Park [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes - I finished the 30k. Longest run by distance, time and vertical ft. that I ever done, so I'm very happy to have this under my belt leading up to Marine Corps. Marathon. It probably was a dumb idea to do my long run this way, but hopefully I'll recover quickly (incl. cuts and bruises!)

The rain from yesterday actually didn't soften up the course that much, thank goodness. Any slipperier and it would've utter carnage. Great conditions and cool temps today, actually. I was expecting the course to be very difficult and it delivered - very narrow and rocky on many of the steeper downhill sections which made this a full contact sport w/all the falls, scrapes and bruises. I haven't felt this way on a trail race since the first year I did American Zofingen. I'll go so far as to say the DT course is way harder than AmZof. The RD's seem like they are cut from the same cloth in dreaming up diabolical challenges like this ;)

Would've been cool to be at the finish for the OA - 1st and 2nd place men were separated by only 5 seconds!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Wow, good on you. It WAS a glorious day for a run but I bet you worked a little harder than I did.

The RD is a guy name Ron. He's a nut. Pretzel City has some cool events. The Half-Wit is also great.

Last edited by: dsmallwood: Sep 14, 14 16:02
Quote Reply
Re: DOUBLE TROUBLE Trail Race 9/14 - French Creek State Park [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ron's pre-race spiel is worth the price of admission on its own.... gonna have to do more Pretzel City events from here on out
Quote Reply