Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Garmin Products in general and DC rainmaker [nitrox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nitrox wrote:
PS - DCR, yours is an important voice in athletic technology. Where consumer electronics has countless blogs and review sites, you stand out for knowing your shit, not parroting PR material, and keeping everybody honest. Thanks.

This. I won't buy athletic tech before checking DCR's review. I'd be extremely uncomfortable if I had to make such a decision and he was no longer doing it.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Products in general and DC rainmaker [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DC rainmaker sounds good to me. Agreed their could be issues on anything just seems the new chipset might be to blame. Thank you for always giving honest and good reviews on products. I was very very close to the fenix2 but much happer with a 910xt.... It weights less any so works out better. Keep on reviewing God knows we triathletes need all the insights we can get
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Products in general and DC rainmaker [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
The 910xt also had a specific open water swim mode that enabled some corrections. Garmin even markets the 910xt as "designed for open water and pool swimming" yet the Fenix 2 gets the Garmin Swim feature set, which didn't include open water features.

What in the world are you talking about? They market the Fenix for "swimming", if there is supposed to be an asterisk somewhere about "does not include open water features", Garmin should admit that.

the fēnix 2 is the ideal multisport athlete’s training partner. Whether running, climbing, riding, hiking, paddling, skiing or swimming, the fēnix 2 lets you easily switch between feature sets for easier access to the information you need

DCR is a great site, tons of pictures and I like the blog parts. The product reviews include a ton of stuff that I don't care about (unboxing doesn't do it for me), and a persons opinion. That person doesn't want Garmin to stop sending things, so it's important to do your own research and read online reviews for what they are.
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Products in general and DC rainmaker [chris948] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So are you upset with Garmin or jealous that Ray gets early test devices (which he returns and then buys devices at retail)?

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Products in general and DC rainmaker [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think you are crazy...

My Garmin 620 has not failed me very often but when it has failed me it has failed me pretty bad.

10k race (3 identical laps) in May 2013 with 910XT : link .

Now SAME 10k race with SAME 3 identical laps in May 2014 with FR620 : link . Look like I was running in very different streets each lap, pace was wrong, distance of course was wrong but the map really is the funniest part :-) . Now to its defense, it was raining pretty bad during the race this year...

Having shown that, it seems with the latest firmware for FR620 and the latest GPS tracking firmware (both get updates every now and then) I haven't had this happening lately and I'm one of the lucky one who did not have his FR620 crashing during runs after latest firmware installation.

So I've not been the happiest FR620 custommer in the world and I do trust my 910XT more but since the FR620 keeps improving update after update and since it is so light and comfy on the wrist, I decided to keep using it and I'm sure at some point it will be 100% reliable just like 910XT !

Hope this helps...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chris948 wrote:
That person doesn't want Garmin to stop sending things...

Nice backhand.

You should read my recent Garmin posts more often, apparently.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Products in general and DC rainmaker [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:
chris948 wrote:

Nice backhand.

Did Apple send you an iWatch yet ?
Last edited by: marcag: Sep 2, 14 3:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:
People that are happy don't post they're happy

I was happy with my Forerunner 301 (until I was running near trees or buildings)
But even happier with my Forerunner 305 (eventhough I had to get Garmin to repair the lack of beeping after 11.5months)
Happy with my FR60 (til the strap broke)
Bored with my FR70
Love my 910XT
Gigling like a kid at my Forerunner 620

Was happy with my Edge 305
Happier with my Edge 705
Much happier with my Edge 810 though now

My take home from this is
a. Each Garmin product (and going back further.. each Polar one) I have owned has made me happier than the last (even current pace fluctuation doesn't bother me as since the 301 I have current pace and current 1k lap on screen and my brain is used to seeing the fields)
b. I buy too many GPS gadgets (but heck.. before GPS watches were available, I was convinced my 11.5k route was actually 13.5k!)
c. I very much value DC Rainmaker's thoughts and site.
d. I am sure I am not critical enough in this.. but heck..just wanted to let peple know I am happy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:
chris948 wrote:

Nice backhand.

I didn't quote you for a reason, I thought your answer made sense. The other argument I did have a problem with "open water GPS is hard" and "Fenix isn't designed for it" I do have a problem with. "Yes, that's why they cost so much" and "Garmin doesn't admit that"

I've read your reviews, even the negative ones. That doesn't change the fact that when you went from a reviewing what you personally purchased (in store, commercially available) to reviewing what Garmin went you, that changes things. The product experience you get and especially the customer service you get is often (I know, not always, I read that review too) fundamentally different.

Note, that's not a negative as it's completely normal in online reviews, and there is no doubt you made the right decision as readers love a review of a product that's just been announced. My wife reviews products too.

And no, Im not jealous about pre-release items personally. My 410 offers more capability than I honestly use, so I could upgrade a few generations before feeling hurt that Ray has the 1010xt or whatever.

Bottom line, you were right, try it yourself.
Last edited by: chris948: Sep 2, 14 5:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe Garmin will jump in here..... Why does each device need updating for GPS accuracy? I know this is the same with polar Garmin and the like but why sinus not closer to correct when they put them out.
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Products in general and DC rainmaker [bamatriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, it's not like Garmin is putting out a GPS for the first time. GPS is supposed to be its core competency. you'd think all their experience would prevent this kind of thing from happening.
Quote Reply

Prev Next