Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dangerous Weight Loss?
Quote | Reply
Hi all, first post here, looking for some guidance since I've been finding conflicting info on the web. Basically I'm worried that I might be approaching dangerous weight loss levels during training/racing and I'm looking for feedback on a) what is truly a safe % weight loss and b) how people who sweat excessively &/or have a hard time ingesting fluids compensate.

For some background information, I'm a 5'9" male, ~165lbs, 31 yrs. I train less than 10 hours a week and have completed about 9 triathlons (sprint & oly) and have my first HIM next month (Montauk MightyMan). As I've been training this summer my observation of my weight loss during sessions has progressed from, "wow, its crazy that I sweat that much!" to "hmm, this might be dangerous". As an example, last night I did a brick workout; 60mi bike followed by a 10mi run, in relatively cool weather. Before I left the house I was about 169lbs, by the time I got home I was around 159lbs. That's just about 6% (10lb) body weight loss in a little over 5 hours, and I wasn't "going hard". This is fairly typical for me- I can easily lose 6-8lbs in shorter 2-3 hour runs because I have a tendency to sweat way more than other people in all conditions, and especially when exercising.

My concern comes from the following chart I came across on the hammer nutrition website while googling weight loss %:
Symptoms by percent body weight water loss:
  • PERCENT WATER LOST --------- SYMPTOMS
  • 0% --- none, optimal performance, normal heat regulation
  • 1% --- thirst stimulated, heat regulation during exercise altered, performance declines
  • 2% --- further decrease in heat regulation, hinders performance, increased thirst
  • 3% --- more of the same (worsening performance)
  • 4% --- exercise performance cut by 20 - 30%
  • 5% --- headache, irritability, "spaced-out" feeling, fatigue
  • 6% --- weakness, severe loss of thermoregulation
  • 7% --- collapse likely unless exercise stops
  • 10% -- comatose
  • 11% -- death likely

[Nutrition for Cyclists, Grandjean & Ruud, Clinics in Sports Med. Vol 13(1);235-246. Jan 1994]

So typically I'm in the range of 4-6% weight loss when I exercise for over 2 hours and I know I cold easily exceed that over the course of a HIM at an elevated race pace. This chart doesn't say what happens at 8% or 9% loss, but you can easily guess that it isn't good.

In terms of conflicting information, I came across this chart on an ultra-running website:

Up to five percent weight loss. This is an appropriate weight loss, and the runner should be allowed to continue unless there are signs of distress.
Five – seven percent weight loss. The runner should be encouraged to increase fluid and salt intake and allowed to continue unless there are signs of distress.
Seven percent or greater weight loss. If mental status is satisfactory, the runner should be advised to increase fluid and salt intake. If vomiting or the inability to rehydrate is evident, the runner should attempt to recuperate until rehydration is possible before continuing.

It seems to make a much smaller deal about weight loss levels that the first chart indicates are dangerous. So, what do folks find their weight loss % to typically be? What are your hydration techniques? I know it is not possible to replace anything approaching fluid loss in races, but I find it extremely difficult to drink even recommended amounts. Last week I did a 20mi run and probably drank about 24oz, and that was pushing it.

Again, thanks for the feedback,
Kevin
Quote Reply
Re: Dangerous Weight Loss? [douglaskev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are accepted or standardized protocols for nutrition in endurance sports; Anything over an hour requires 250 - 350 calories an hour and 20 - 24 oz of water.This is just a guideline that varies from person to person. Ideally you're alternating calories and water every 10 to 15 minutes during exercise. It sounds like you need to train yourself to take on more water more frequently. The goal after each session is to replace the fluids that you're sweating out to maintain weight...

Before, during, and after training sessions I monitor how I feel hydration-wise. If I feel a little "dry" I'll try to take on an extra 20 - 40 oz of water in the hour or two leading up to a training session. During a session I tend to stick to the 10 - 15 minute rule; unless it's a high intensity session like intervals on the trainer. Then I'll have water after each interval to try to keep my core temp and PRE down/under control. If I'm outside or during a race, I'll dump water over my head. In fact, during my last trail running race I used a fuel belt with a extra water to be able to drink and pour water over my head between aid stations to keep my core temp down.

I hope something in there is helpful.
Quote Reply
Re: Dangerous Weight Loss? [nstearns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks nstearns. I think one thing I can try is hydration before and try to be a little more disciplined during. In terms of weight loss though, I know I can't possibly intake as much as I lose, so I'm curious about the percentages mentioned. What % range do you find your loss to be? I really want to understand whether my % loss is within a normal range for other athletes, or an outlier, and if so, how dangerous it actually is.

thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have done half the math already- you know what your sweat rate is for 5 hours- convert it to hours nad figure out how many bottles you need per hour to stay even.
Do the best that you can to hit this number.
You will train better and recover more quickly if you pay attention to hydration.
Quote Reply
Re: Dangerous Weight Loss? [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
10lb loss over 5 hours= 32/ounces an hour. That's a heck of a lot of water/sports drink to try drink every hour, for multiple hours straight while cycling/running. I imagine it would be extremely uncomfortable in my gut while running and/or just make me have to urinate every 5 minutes.

I appreciate the two responses so far, but both of them essentially say "drink more". I know I need to hydrate as much as possible, but what I'm trying to get at, is since it isn't really possible for the body to take in as much liquid as it loses in an endurance activity, what is the range that most people found themselves losing? i.e. Is my 6% in a normal range for triathletes, or do I need to try to figure out something else to get the % down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get yourself a snack and a nice, fermented beverage. Find a comfy reading place. Then, read this:

http://sportsscientists.com/...onflict-of-interest/

When you are finished, look at the sidebar where it says "Related Articles" and read the other posts in the series.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you experience any of the syptoms mentioned in the list? For example have you ever collapsed on a run? Seems that should happen to you regularly according to this guide. I live in FL and during the summer months it's not unusual for me to lose 5% body weight on long runs (I'm bigger than you FWIW). However I don't get headaches, and until now never really thought about.

Another question: If you train less than 10 hours a week, how is a 2-3 hour run short?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're a heavy sweater (like me; I am the Irish Fisherman's sweater of sweating) - then often you can and will sweat "more" than what the guidelines say, and be ok with it.

You may just need to up your fluid and electrolyte intake, and hope for the best.
But - there's only so much you can take in while exercising, and some delta is always going to exist between what you started at, and what you finish at. Part of that is glycogen being burned off too. It's not 100% fluids.

If I were you (and I kinda am) - I'd go by the descriptions of the various stages of dehydration, rather than the %'s.
The first few clicks below 0% are pretty normal.

If you're not getting to feeling like:
--- exercise performance cut by 20 - 30%
--- headache, irritability, "spaced-out" feeling, fatigue
--- weakness, severe loss of thermoregulation
then, frankly, I wouldn't worry about it.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Dangerous Weight Loss? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tribanter, thank you very much, that was an informative and useful series. It made me less anxious about % loss, and also raised an important point-- that % body weight loss does not equal % fluid loss, with a % coming from burning fuel. I think that's an important point since the original chart I posted specifically referenced % water lost, not % weight lost, while the second chart (which was less alarmist), was specifically referring to overall weight loss.
Based on what I've already read and the link you shared, I think my % loss is above average, but not dangerously so.

rjrankin83, thanks for your anecdote re: % loss-- that's what I was looking for to see if mine was in a "normal" range. Re: experiencing symptoms, no, I haven't collapsed, but so far as I know I also haven't hit the 7% or so loss. I absolutely used get headaches after tough workouts, though over time I found I could avoid them by drinking copious amounts of liquid as soon as possible after I got home. (re: 2-3 hour run, I didn't call it "short", I said "shorter", meaning relative to the 5 hour session).

again, thanks all.
Quote Reply
Re: Dangerous Weight Loss? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Murphy'sLaw. I think you're right to suggest paying greater attention to how I feel than an arbitrary %. I think that's what rjrankin83 was getting at, and your point about all the loss not just being fluid was brought up in the series posted by Tri-banter.

In terms of being the Irish Fisherman's sweater of sweating, I'm 1/4 Irish and I'd challenge you to a sweat-off any day of the week :P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make sure you're keeping up with your fluids throughout the day not just during and right after a workout. Also I'm still lost on what workout you could be doing for 5 hours during a 10 hour training week? With only 10 hours a week I would assume a 2 hour day would be about max
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you salt your food?
You probably should.
It will help you hold onto your fluids.
Quote Reply
Re: Dangerous Weight Loss? [rjrankin83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rjrankin83, good point re: hydration during day. I try to drink two full water bottles a day while at work + whatever feels right in the morning and evening. I can look into whether I should be having more on a daily basis, and I've read its good to drink extra in the days leading up to a strenuous session or race, but I haven't really done that. re: the five hours, that's not a weekly thing, and I'm not exercising every day. On average, I'm training about 8 hours a week, and in that time I'll run ~25mi, bike ~65mi & swim about 2mi. I know I should/could do more, but I find it tough to do much more and keep a work/life balance. Every couple of weeks I throw in a brick and this week's was particularly long, more so for the mental benefit than anything.

bootsie_cat, I haven't really looked into that. I'm assuming you mean salting beyond what one would normally do for flavor? Is that something people do regularly? I guess I can check it out.
Quote Reply