Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Computrainer killer
Quote | Reply
Based on this review, I say this should just about do it.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/08/training-platform-updates.html

Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer killer [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This part is very cool:

"They’re able to automatically create a basic 3D world based on the video, or rather, based on the GPS file. This means that if you upload a GPS file from a ride (with or without video), it’ll create a 3D world that you can ride in. This 3D generation takes into account satellite imagery of the area (and other data sources) which then allows them to judge factors like vegetation density, housing density, and notifications of nearby landmarks."

If they could use Google Street View, that could be very realistic.

It looks to be low-inertia though... or do these types of trainers have the ability simulate inertia electronically?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No ERG mode, thus its not even in the CT ballpark.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer killer [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's erg mode if you're using it with a KICKR...
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer killer [denali2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
denali2001 wrote:
There's erg mode if you're using it with a KICKR...

I'm talking about the BKOOL trainer, not the software
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer killer [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lack of ERG is only due to software. That would be very easy for them to implement as the resistance is already electronically variable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Am i reading that it will require a membership fee? Thats a no-go for me. My CT doesn't require any further investment.

Otherwise it looks and sounds cool. But then again, we keep hearing about the next trainer finally replacing the CT in the market. But that old dinosaur is still there
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer killer [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trispoke wrote:
Am i reading that it will require a membership fee? Thats a no-go for me. My CT doesn't require any further investment.

Otherwise it looks and sounds cool. But then again, we keep hearing about the next trainer finally replacing the CT in the market. But that old dinosaur is still there

I've said before; if I was in the market for a trainer, I'd take a very close look at the Wahoo KICKR and now I think I would add this one to the list. So...in like 10 years when my already 5 year old CT stops working, I will take a serious look at those options!

I will admit that the software looks interesting, but the whole "riding the course" thing got old for me very quickly be it Real Course Video, Erg Video or any type of animated simulation. For me nothing compares to erg mode + Trainer Road.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer killer [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dinosaur the CompuTrainer software is, no question. Bulletproof the hardware is, IME (experience). I'd be interested to see 6 BKOOL trainers get the 2-session per day usage my 6 CompuTrainers do, day in and day out, and still function at 100%. I see a lot of plastic on the BKOOL hardware, and I'd be very surprised if they could withstand sustained commercial usage.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer killer [Kscycler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree. I'd like to see CT just stick to what they really do well and then partner with others on the software. I think that all trainers should go to direct drive as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hum, what does this offer over trainer-road? Trying to get a power based winter training system.....
Last edited by: TunaBoo: Aug 29, 14 11:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm more surprised to learn that people still consider the computrainer something that can be "killed". I think it's already dead.

Trust me, I'm fully aware that there are legions of existing computrainer owners who will continue to use and stand by their units and it is by no means dead from that perspective. However, from the perspective of new sales and new users, I cannot honestly fathom why anyone would chose to purchase a CT for $1600 in light of the KICKR and other options available-- a conclusion that has been echoed in several DCR articles.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer killer [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tgarson wrote:
I'm more surprised to learn that people still consider the computrainer something that can be "killed". I think it's already dead.

Trust me, I'm fully aware that there are legions of existing computrainer owners who will continue to use and stand by their units and it is by no means dead from that perspective. However, from the perspective of new sales and new users, I cannot honestly fathom why anyone would chose to purchase a CT for $1600 in light of the KICKR and other options available-- a conclusion that has been echoed in several DCR articles.

X2.... 5 years ago I bought a CT ... Hated it from day 1 ... spent hours and hours trying to learn the software ...Yes the hardware is bullet proof but that isnt what you buy a CT for in the first place.... Then my savior Trainerroad came along and fixed my CT ... I literally spent minutes getting it up and running.... When CT finally updated the software I didnt even bother... Looking forward to a Kickr or one of these in the future!
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer killer [cobalt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
in the market as well, DC seems to like Wahoo the most. Saw a Tacx at IMMT and looked cool, DC gave the sense there customer service is lacking. Most people on this tread seem to be saying wahoo over CT. My biggest draw to CT is the spin scan. Do any of these others have anything thats even comparable to the spin scan?

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cobalt wrote:
tgarson wrote:

X2.... 5 years ago I bought a CT ... Hated it from day 1 ... spent hours and hours trying to learn the software ...Yes the hardware is bullet proof but that isnt what you buy a CT for in the first place.... Then my savior Trainerroad came along and fixed my CT ... I literally spent minutes getting it up and running.... When CT finally updated the software I didnt even bother... Looking forward to a Kickr or one of these in the future!

100 percent of the time from May to Sep when I use the CT I don't use courses...just erg mode....i get plenty of real world courses on my outdoor rides. In the winter, I'll ride CT courses that I wrote myself twice per week. MY courses don't have any stupid grades over 6 percent and any downhills more than 3 percent, so they have constant wheel speed and very little slippage.

Personally if someone asked me, I would recommend buy a second hand CT and just use courses once in a while. The big value is the good accuracy of the wattage, especially if you keep tire temperature constant. Mine tracks very well with my quarq.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cobalt wrote:
tgarson wrote:

100 percent of the time from May to Sep when I use the CT I don't use courses...just erg mode....i get plenty of real world courses on my outdoor rides. In the winter, I'll ride CT courses that I wrote myself twice per week. MY courses don't have any stupid grades over 6 percent and any downhills more than 3 percent, so they have constant wheel speed and very little slippage.

Personally if someone asked me, I would recommend buy a second hand CT and just use courses once in a while. The big value is the good accuracy of the wattage, especially if you keep tire temperature constant. Mine tracks very well with my quarq.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer killer [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

It's not bad advice but it really depends on how much you can get a used one for. I owned a CT for several years and sold it last fall for almost same amount that I was able to get a brand new KICKR for on a black Friday special. I would not go back to a CT now if you paid me.

The availability of more modern, capable and reasonably priced competitors will continue to erode the value of used CTs but at the same time they start to become more attractive as the price comes down even lower. There may be a time again in the future where I would actually recommend purchasing a CT but in my opinion that has to be at a significant cost reduction over the competition, forget about it being anything near a premium.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
do you know if wahoo has a finance program for there kickr? im poor and the only reason i would get a CT over the kickr is the financing program...i can throw down 400$ and then pay 100$ a month which is appealing. Trust me the kickr looks awesome. tough call.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: Mikemartin77: Sep 2, 14 15:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has Kickr software gotten better for the PC? Or is it all still mostly ipad apps?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tgarson wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

It's not bad advice but it really depends on how much you can get a used one for. I owned a CT for several years and sold it last fall for almost same amount that I was able to get a brand new KICKR for on a black Friday special. I would not go back to a CT now if you paid me.

The availability of more modern, capable and reasonably priced competitors will continue to erode the value of used CTs but at the same time they start to become more attractive as the price comes down even lower. There may be a time again in the future where I would actually recommend purchasing a CT but in my opinion that has to be at a significant cost reduction over the competition, forget about it being anything near a premium.

Yes, my perspective is from being a current owner. If I did not have a CT and was looking into something new, then it would be another story. I was just pointing out that if you can pick one up second hand, you're pretty well set for life. I got mine 5 years ago second hand for $750. In my view I recouped that expenditure within the first year in terms of training value. So if you can pick up a second hand CT you're likely going to be set for life. Talking with many of my friends, most don't use the programs that often....the erg mode is our go to option for time constrained short workouts. Some of my 30 min CT rides are the best workouts I do all week. Super high value in erg mode. There are days when i just bike commute back home easy and then just get on the CT for the final 20 min when I get home for 5x4 min hard....sometimes, just can't do that on the road although now I have a beautifully paved stretch of road with bike shoulder with no interruptions for 7 minutes in one direction so I can do repeats on that for internals...but did not have that till 3 years ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tgarson wrote:

Multirider studios need both proven robustness and efficiency in operation.

Ever tried to get a dozen or more TT bikes with horizontal drops fitted onto Kickrs quickly? And off again. CT is much easy in that regard. It could be better but it doesn't take long.

Bkool is not designed for heavy use.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Computrainer killer [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gabbiev wrote:
Watt Matters wrote:
tgarson wrote:

Multirider studios need both proven robustness and efficiency in operation.

Ever tried to get a dozen or more TT bikes with horizontal drops fitted onto Kickrs quickly? And off again. CT is much easy in that regard. It could be better but it doesn't take long.

Bkool is not designed for heavy use.

And different cassettes, difference numbers of cogs, different chains, varying degrees of maintenance on individual user bikes--the CT is way easier to accommodate variety of use situations. The hardware is robust, simple, and bullet-proof. My personal CT is over a dozen years old, and we run fifteen hours of classes per week in our 8 station studio. There's absolutely nothing wrong or problematic with the CT hardware, and one always can get a variety of different software to meet his/her needs.

Most of the time, I'm running erg workouts for my training, and our weekday sessions all are erg interval sessions. The CT works perfectly for this application.

I agree 100%....the only beef I have with erg mode is the same problem I have with a treadmill. If I am running at 7 mph and want to ramp it up quick to 10 mph for 20 seconds and back down I am forever pressing buttons. In real life, I can literally ramp up and back down between those speeds in 4 strides. Same deal in erg mode...I would like to be able to go from 180W to 270W pretty instantly for short intervals, but it takes time going up and down in 5W increments. I can use it in the "other mode" where set the "slope" and change my speed, but then it is like riding outdoors and I can't get to exact watts that I want...it fluctuates +/- 10W depending on how well I concentrate. If I could just ramp erg mode in 20W increments quickly, I'd be set.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer killer [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

If I could just ramp erg mode in 20W increments quickly, I'd be set.

Are you using stand alone erg mode or are you connected to the computer. I mostly use TR with my pre-programmed workouts so that I just pedal; however, I seem to recall that you can do what you are wanting to do. As long as you have it connected to the computer with the RM1 software running, you can change the default up/down buttons from 5W to how ever many watts you want.
Quote Reply

Prev Next