Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Anybody work in finance, Investments? [Patrick E] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Patrick E wrote:
Quinner wrote:
aravilare wrote:
USA2018 wrote:

To the OP: my advice is to avoid both and do something that is actually socially useful and enjoyable.

+1
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody work in finance, Investments? [azurebl911] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree... Wouldn't admit to being a polly either...... :)
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody work in finance, Investments? [sjcby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sjcby wrote:
bhc wrote:
It sounds like you are looking to go into finance, in which case don't go straight to Grad school. Do a couple of years in finance and see if it's for you before you drop the dough on a degree that you don't want. Plenty of my friends THOUGHT they wanted a life in finance but are all out by year two. Put in three years or a little longer and learn what the industry looks like. After then if you still want to work in fiannce, then make an informed decision about what advanced degree, if any, will help you.

EXCELLENT advise!!! I went straight from college into banking because I thought it was what I would enjoy. Did very well, but after the first year, I hated every minute of it. If you can get into the industry and spend a few years working prior to getting an advanced degree, that is the smartest route.

Are there any people who LIKE the first couple of years? Every investment banking analyst I've talked to absolutely despised their job. One GS analyst said to me one day "I was walking down the street and saw a bus driving down the street and I fantasized that the bus would jump the curb and hit me. Then I could go to the hospital and get some sleep and wouldn't have to go to work"

How many hours you supposedly work is the IBD equivalent of a dick-measuring contest before bonus season. I liked my stint in IB, but only because I knew what why I was there and what I wanted. I had no delusions about the social impact or how useful the skills I used were for future career development.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody work in finance, Investments? [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aravilare wrote:
sjcby wrote:
bhc wrote:
It sounds like you are looking to go into finance, in which case don't go straight to Grad school. Do a couple of years in finance and see if it's for you before you drop the dough on a degree that you don't want. Plenty of my friends THOUGHT they wanted a life in finance but are all out by year two. Put in three years or a little longer and learn what the industry looks like. After then if you still want to work in fiannce, then make an informed decision about what advanced degree, if any, will help you.

EXCELLENT advise!!! I went straight from college into banking because I thought it was what I would enjoy. Did very well, but after the first year, I hated every minute of it. If you can get into the industry and spend a few years working prior to getting an advanced degree, that is the smartest route.

Are there any people who LIKE the first couple of years? Every investment banking analyst I've talked to absolutely despised their job. One GS analyst said to me one day "I was walking down the street and saw a bus driving down the street and I fantasized that the bus would jump the curb and hit me. Then I could go to the hospital and get some sleep and wouldn't have to go to work"

How many hours you supposedly work is the IBD equivalent of a dick-measuring contest before bonus season. I liked my stint in IB, but only because I knew what why I was there and what I wanted. I had no delusions about the social impact or how useful the skills I used were for future career development.

Ditto. There's a common disillusion about IBD, specifically deal-driven groups (M&A, syndication, etc) that's going around. There's a culture of beating yourself up for doing useless work and that's usually passed down from the MD to the analyst.

I work in capital markets and the hours are completely reasonable. A lot of pressure but I can walk away from the office and usually not expect anyone to call me into the office in the middle of the night.

#KISPERFORMANCE
Quote Reply

Prev Next