Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: WANT TO BE SPONSORED? [jro81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uh, I did. Doesn't change my perception. Never market you rake to the smallest percentage. Always take the highest percentage.
Quote Reply
Re: WANT TO BE SPONSORED? [TrekGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And your rationale for this is Project Rudy, who gave helmets to all the Kona athletes? Just what "percent" do you think KQ athletes represent at your average local tri?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TrekGeek wrote:
Uh, I did. Doesn't change my perception. Never market you rake to the smallest percentage. Always take the highest percentage.

No, you probably didn't. Martin's company has been around quite a long time. He is well past the "launch" stage.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TrekGeek wrote:
So you're trying to launch a company by getting the smallest percentage of the people racing to wear your shit (1% of the 100% racing)? Yeah, what a great CEO you are. If I were trying to launch a company, I'd be hitting up the larger number percentage which are the ones NOT placing top 3 (99%of 100%).

The 99% are slower and they are out there a lot longer, so your name is seen for a longer period of time by many more people. Your goal is to get the MOST publicity as possible right? Why choose 3 rabbits wearing your gear when you can have 97 turtles wearing it?

Take a page from Rudy Project who gave EVERYONE at Kona an aero helmet. All I see are Rudy Project helmets these days.

Marcin Sochacki wrote:
Our company actually has been around for 10 years and we were the 1st company to make the original compartmentalize triathlon bag. Alot has changed since 2004 however we are still here and makign great products.

10 year launch huh?

They are selling products to triathletes. I don't want to be mop or bop, I want to win. The idea of sponsoring athletes is that if they use it to win, I can use it and win.

Plus its pretty expensive to kit up 97% of the field. For my money, I'd rather advertise my product on the guys who get the most exposure.

------

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.
Quote Reply
Re: WANT TO BE SPONSORED? [JayZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JayZ wrote:
And your rationale for this is Project Rudy, who gave helmets to all the Kona athletes? Just what "percent" do you think KQ athletes represent at your average local tri?

I know a few store owners that refuse to sell Rudy Project equipment because their "sponsorship" program encourages them to bypass the store and claim the discount through the website. They have to purchase the items and then get undercut by the manufacturer.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: WANT TO BE SPONSORED? [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
jonnyo wrote:
very disappointing reaction from many age groupers in this thread. A company in good faith come here to offer a program.....read it, if you dont like it walk away. If you are a age group and qualify for a tiers in this program... it could be interesting and save you money.

And for a up and comer pro that doesn't have strong relationship establish with a company... this could be a first step into starting and growing a new relationship with a company.

good on rocketsciencesport to come here and offer this program....

This. Martin (and rocketscience) have been on the boards for 8ish years. Whether it's a discount program or a sponsorship (i.e. free) program (And this has both except for the lowest level), they are still offering something of value. Whether or not you think it has value only speaks of your own personal valuation. Yeah, there are a lot of discount programs out there (Such as Rudy Project) that offer a discount to anyone. This you need to at least pass a screening, and if you continue (or have previously) performed well, then you get free stuff as well.

And with the reception that this is getting, I'm amazed that people like Martin, SuperDave and others continue to post.

John

I often joke that at some point I'll be legally unable to contribute because of liability and/or the need for a marketing department to be the sole voice of consumer communication.

-SD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TrekGeek wrote:
So you're trying to launch a company by getting the smallest percentage of the people racing to wear your shit (1% of the 100% racing)? Yeah, what a great CEO you are. If I were trying to launch a company, I'd be hitting up the larger number percentage which are the ones NOT placing top 3 (99%of 100%).

The 99% are slower and they are out there a lot longer, so your name is seen for a longer period of time by many more people. Your goal is to get the MOST publicity as possible right? Why choose 3 rabbits wearing your gear when you can have 97 turtles wearing it?

Take a page from Rudy Project who gave EVERYONE at Kona an aero helmet. All I see are Rudy Project helmets these days.

I am not trying to launch a company our company is been around for 10 years. This program is to recognize the top age groupers and some upcoming pros and reward them and at the same time create some positive publicity. Rudy Project has been around for almost 30 years and has yearly review much bigger than any triathlon specific company by 10X. Please do not compare the two... Totally different ball game.

Marcin Sochacki
CEO
Rocket Science Sports
http://www.rocketsciencesports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TrekGeek wrote:

BRILLIANT let's sport the person who can't swim to represent a wetsuit brand. I think this will propel our company to the next level LOL!!

You guys are making me laugh it's COMEDY CENTRAL!

Marcin Sochacki
CEO
Rocket Science Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JayZ wrote:

GOOD ONE!

Marcin Sochacki
CEO
Rocket Science Sports
Quote Reply
Re: WANT TO BE SPONSORED? [Marcin Sochacki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Marcin,

I might not qualify for any level of sponsorship, but I wanted to say thanks for providing the opportunity.

I submitted my race resume/CV to Vivian and would love to represent your company if given the chance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JayZ wrote:

About 0.5%.... but the one with the most visibility... the person that won it. The one who gets a small news article in the local paper and that everyone notices at the race because they are "so fast". If they seem friendly, folks might even ask them questions about their equipment.

Just saying. Though I haven't yet KQ'd. Have only demonstrated KQ potential.

I'm still waiting for Trek to give me a 9 series and Zipp a rear disc... so word doesn't get out that the 7 series is just as fast and there's no need to spend an extra $5k on anything better.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Marcin Sochacki wrote:
TrekGeek wrote:

BRILLIANT let's sport the person who can't swim to represent a wetsuit brand. I think this will propel our company to the next level LOL!!

I think it's great to see a company that is commited to the sport. So kudos on that.

And I think the "free gear" versus "sponsorship" argument is more semantics than anything; your selected athletes are in fact receiving something of value, be it material or monetary. Nothing wrong with that.

However, quite frankly, I do think it is a bit disingenuous to make your wetsuit offer only to accomplished athletes and get publicity from their performances, when in fact their past results or development as triathletes have nothing to do with wearing your gear.

From a business standpoint my unsolicited advice would be careful how you respond in public to criticism, or perceived criticism. It's always better to take the high road or respond in private rather than embroil yourself in a public debate and lower yourself to the level of the naysayers. That never reflects well on the person or the firm.

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: WANT TO BE SPONSORED? [Redcorvette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Redcorvette wrote:
However, quite frankly, I do think it is a bit disingenuous to make your wetsuit offer only to accomplished athletes and get publicity from their performances, when in fact their past results or development as triathletes have nothing to do with wearing your gear.

Yeah, because Nike/Adidas/Oakley/etc only sponsor athletes who developed while wearing their gear.

John

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Marcin, thank you for posting this opportunity on the board. I was in ATC recently and was wondering what y'all were up to. Are you based back in Austin again?

Looking forward to submitting my CV.

Thanks,

https://twitter.com/mungub
Last edited by: mungub50: Jul 31, 14 6:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Marcin Sochacki wrote:
TrekGeek wrote:

Agreed. Marin, thanks for posting this. ;-). It seems that some don't appreciate attempts to take over this forum with triathlon related posts that have nothing to do with shoe/bike fit, drafting, BQ or KQ'ing on 4 hours of training/week, drafting, wattage needed to achieve 4 hour bike (only #therealStarky really knows the answer to that one), men in gorilla suits, or drafting.

Perhaps "out of the ordinary but deserving" threads like these as well as any thread started by #therealstarky can be moved to another part of this forum. Perhaps the Lavender room.

Good luck in your quest to improve your bottom line while giving back to triathletes that can help you achieve that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
Redcorvette wrote:

Yeah, because Nike/Adidas/Oakley/etc only sponsor athletes who developed while wearing their gear.

John

Your point is well taken; don't disagree. It certainly happens in other sports all the time. Though, relative to your example, the odds are pretty good that an athlete has worn Nike or Adidas gear at somepoint before being sponsored just due to their dominance in the marketplace.

One of the risks the OP is taking is that his gear will allow the athletes to continue to perform at the high level he has recruited.
The downside risk is that the athlete will perform worse in his gear. I guess it gets down to how much swimming performance can actually be attributed to the wetsuit itself.

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: WANT TO BE SPONSORED? [Redcorvette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Redcorvette wrote:

The downside risk is that the athlete will perform worse in his gear. I guess it gets down to how much swimming performance can actually be attributed to the wetsuit itself.
Mark

That happens. Look at Jordan's latest blog post, the pearl suit he's been using has been hampering his swim.

John

Last edited by: Devlin: Jul 30, 14 18:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good on Marcin & Rocketsciencesports for this offer, I know if I still raced as much as I did several years ago I'd be submitting my CV.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Marcin, I'm going to assume that 41 minutes for an Olympic swim does not qualify as "good swim results"? :)

- John
"Have courage, and be kind."
Quote Reply
Re: WANT TO BE SPONSORED? [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
Devlin wrote:
jonnyo wrote:
very disappointing reaction from many age groupers in this thread. A company in good faith come here to offer a program.....read it, if you dont like it walk away. If you are a age group and qualify for a tiers in this program... it could be interesting and save you money.

And for a up and comer pro that doesn't have strong relationship establish with a company... this could be a first step into starting and growing a new relationship with a company.

good on rocketsciencesport to come here and offer this program....

This. Martin (and rocketscience) have been on the boards for 8ish years. Whether it's a discount program or a sponsorship (i.e. free) program (And this has both except for the lowest level), they are still offering something of value. Whether or not you think it has value only speaks of your own personal valuation. Yeah, there are a lot of discount programs out there (Such as Rudy Project) that offer a discount to anyone. This you need to at least pass a screening, and if you continue (or have previously) performed well, then you get free stuff as well.

And with the reception that this is getting, I'm amazed that people like Martin, SuperDave and others continue to post.

John

I often joke that at some point I'll be legally unable to contribute because of liability and/or the need for a marketing department to be the sole voice of consumer communication.

-SD

Don't ever leave us SuperDave!

Firstly I'd like to apologize for the overwhelming number of knuckleheads and haters on the ST forums. I am blown away with the entitled attitude rearing it's head here as DCR and Slowman alluded to. Furthermore Marcin, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for recognizing that we age groupers who also spend countless hours reaching for our personal bests and podium wins. I'm not on social media nor am I a strong swimmer but I have made the podium and I've often dreamed about opportunities like this. Please continue to stick to your approach and give us age groupers a reasonable means to achieve a status most would never imagine; being a sponsored athlete.

I'd like to reiterate .... Don't ever leave us SuperDave! And thanks again Martin and Rocket Science!

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Last edited by: cshowe80: Jul 30, 14 13:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not a stud swimmer, but hey, I'll always try something else to speed up my swim! I went from a "brick with arms" to something better, so still improving.

I'm sending in my CV and deets, I am sure I qualify for the 4th, gotta work my swim more to move on up!

And above all, thanks to Marcin for the opportunity for all AGers, only a few are bold enough to offer it up to us "lowly" AGers!

Thanks!

-----------------------------------------------------------
Try Not To Puke on the Finish Line!
http://trynot2puke.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Post deleted by NeverEnough [ In reply to ]
Post deleted by dmounts [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Marcin Sochacki wrote:
JayZ wrote:

GOOD ONE!

I'm going to buy some of your stuff if for no other reason I like the way you've handled the douc,,,, I mean some of the negative responses.

Thanks for your contribution to the sport in your effort to grow your brand.

Best to you.

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TrekGeek wrote:

I've never understood this point. They make wetsuits. They want people to know they're fast. So clearly the logical thing to do is put them on the slowest people because they're out there longer.

Marcin thanks for this opportunity!
Quote Reply

Prev Next