Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: WANT TO BE SPONSORED? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
very disappointing reaction from many age groupers in this thread. A company in good faith come here to offer a program.....read it, if you dont like it walk away. If you are a age group and qualify for a tiers in this program... it could be interesting and save you money.

And for a up and comer pro that doesn't have strong relationship establish with a company... this could be a first step into starting and growing a new relationship with a company.

good on rocketsciencesport to come here and offer this program....

^^^THIS^^^^

--------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: WANT TO BE SPONSORED? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
You cannot compare any triathlete to what Ronaldo can bring to the table in publicity. Besides the pro sponsorship above clearly has a cash component. I am uncertain where this anger is coming from.

Not only that, but there seems to be an interesting trend lately where triathlon pros (not all, but a seemingly growing number) appear to think that they are 'owed' additional money and sponsorship (however you define that), just for being pro. They seem to have forgotten that the entire point of sponsorship is to grow the underlying business of the company doing the sponsoring*. If the pro isn't delivering a return of investment on that to the company (in terms of clear brand value/units shipped), then it's quite frankly not worth the companies money. Merely having a tiny logo on your uniform doesn't get companies much these days in the triathlon world.

To add to that, with funding relatively limited in the triathlon 'sponsorship' world, there is a simple reality that companies are finding in some cases more value in sponsoring an age grouper with wider reach, than a pro who doesn't deliver the brand message beyond just a 1" logo on a t-shirt on a podium. Again, triathlon pros have to realize they have to bring value to the table beyond that occasional visibility. You see some pros doing that here and elsewhere, but most don't.

*There are occasional feel-good sponsorships around the industry, but those don't really last long.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Last edited by: dcrainmaker: Jul 27, 14 2:33
Quote Reply
Re: WANT TO BE SPONSORED? [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well said. That and that expenses add up quick...this might just help someone move to the next level.

http://RoadID.com/...te/4HC4V-TAFQ9XPJDTX
Quote Reply
Re: WANT TO BE SPONSORED? [Marcin Sochacki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this a region only thing or open to international?

Have a few friends/athletes that could certainly qualify. I'll forward this over to them if so
Quote Reply
Re: WANT TO BE SPONSORED? [Mr.Pie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This opportunity is offered world wide not only in the US.

Marcin Sochacki
CEO
Rocket Science Sports
http://www.rocketsciencesports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't used your product yet but have a few friends that have your wetsuits and love them. When it comes time to purchase a new suit, I will give your company a serious look at purchasing. Good on you for offering something to the AGers as well
Quote Reply
Re: WANT TO BE SPONSORED? [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"there seems to be an interesting trend lately where triathlon pros (not all, but a seemingly growing number) appear to think that they are 'owed' additional money and sponsorship (however you define that), just for being pro."

lately?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Martin,

I think this is a great deal and you should be commended on trying to support athletes and grow the sport, while promoting your business. dcrainmaker gets it along with a few others.

I would be interested in seeing if there is a way of working together on this. We have an Ambassador program with age groupers and pros alike. In fact two of the up and comers Lionel Sanders and Cody Beals are sponsored by us and are MSC Ambassadors. (Lionel just won our spring in Bala Falls this morning). This type of arrangement can be a win/win and should be seen as a positive.

John Salt, Founder - MultiSport Canada
Canada's Largest Triathlon Series and Barrelman Niagara Falls
http://www.multisportcanada.com / http://www.niagarafallstriathlon.com
"Discipline Is What You Do When No One Is Watching You"
Last edited by: John Salt: Jul 27, 14 7:21
Quote Reply
Re: WANT TO BE SPONSORED? [BigCheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Well i'm shit and ill rock your gear, I wont place but you will get seen at events.

arguably us BOPers are more valuable to sponsors because we're on the course longer.

Looks like a good program, not sure what all the fuss is about. Marcin has been pretty transparent with what's offered, the rest is just up to what you want to call it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So Ill throw 2c in here.

there was a great point made that "I'll race 10 races and where's my swag." Talk about marketing exposure! Someone took this comment and went a step further with pink to say BOP are on the course longer. Either way they make a gerat point-what is the purpose of your PROGRAM?

You mentioned helping grassroots athletes-is that the intent or is it marketing.

DCrainmaker and Slowman make great points as well so I'm torn. I agree that it hasn't been lately, just more obvious maybe. DC makes the point that the guys racing multiple races should be your representatives if its exposure and marketing your looking to achieve. From the qualifications it looks like you just want to give the impression your product gets you on the podium.

FTR I'm a MOPer with top 3 A/G capabilities depending on the race/location. I am "sponsored" by a local bike shop. I pay for my KIT, I get discounts at the shop. In previous years I was given free stuff to wear (shoes, helmet, glasses, kit) sponsorship has changed over the years, depending on those that sponsor the shop. I have obligations for the year and at the end of the year I am given an in store credit.

If I were to design my own program I would want a free kit at minimum-I'm promoting your business. Depending on level the freebies should increase. The best incentive would be race reimbursement, make it place dependent or quantity dependent, that way Id either try to place or race more-ie promoting more. As for discounts they should be equal across the board. Where I finish shouldn't determine the worth of a product. A BOPer rocking a KIT is on the same course as a FOPer. Does your product guarantee a better position at the finish line-or do you want it to just look like that? Which makes me question the intent of the program. I also didnt seen a response for what if someone ALREADY wears/uses the product. I guess they could sell it on ST.

Would I like to be a rocketscience sponsored athlete, sure I like your stuff. Did I apply no, it'll conflict with my current obligations to a LOCAL company.
Best of luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This has turned into a pretty unbelievable thread. I'm not sure why a company offering this sort of program to both pro and amatuer athletes is forced to defend itself. Thanks for taking the initiative to do this, for those up and coming age groupers it's always helpful to get a few free or discounted items.

For the few complaining about this, of course a company is getting something out of this. Exposure. I've got no marketing or accounting experience at all and can see that. The idea is that it's a win-win for both sides.

Unfortunately for the MOP/BOP people aren't buying equipment because you wear it, sorry. They are because the guy on the podium is and some of the top end amatuers are better than anyone else about recognizing and supporting the companies that help them out. I know that's going to upset some, but it's pretty much the reason I won't be applying for this. While my OA results meet his criteria (at least 4), the only way I'm ever coming out of the water first is if the water is waste deep and it's a run (seriously happened once, great story!). It' makes no sense for a wetsuit company to invest money in someone who is playing catch up after using their equipment, doesn't say anything about how good their equipment is.

Kudos to Rocket Science Sports for taking starting this up.
Last edited by: tmcg: Jul 27, 14 19:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Marcin Sochacki wrote:
Free product is not a discount and premiusms as well. Only the 4th level is a discount and its a help for age groupers who are good since triathlon is an expensive sport and we want to the reward the talented age groupers...

Funny.

When I packed my aged Rocket Science transition bag for last weekend's Small Texan Olympic-ish distance (course was long, per the ever-reliable GPS), I wondered what ever happened to the company; not seen/heard much from Rocket Science in what seems like years. But, then, I've been out of racing the past few years.

That said, the bag still works, even if the zipper separating the wet pouch to the main bag is corroded shut. It gets my gear there & back again. And, in spite of being out of racing since 2011, I managed to place first in my 40–45 AG at a couple of local tris. I'll likely pass on the sponsorship (or whatever the folks here wish it to be called), since my season's done until 2015 rolls around. Triathlon is an expensive sport. Bravo to Rocket Science—still presumably based out of just-up-the-road Austin—for recognizing this and trying to do something about it for everyone on the course.

#cureMS
Quote Reply
Re: WANT TO BE SPONSORED? [bhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bhc wrote:
jonnyo wrote:

^^^THIS^^^^

x2

Sponsorship, discount, does it matter for the fledging AGer? While in the end this is a individual sport, the next goal doesn't hurt. As a second year triathlete, I'm typically in the top 4 and a small sponsorship/(discount) couldn't hurt my motivation to continue to improve. I appreciate Rocket Science for providing this opportunity.

-mike
Quote Reply
Re: WANT TO BE SPONSORED? [drmiles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please send us your CV.

Marcin Sochacki
CEO
Rocket Science Sports
Quote Reply
Re: WANT TO BE SPONSORED? [John Salt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
John Salt wrote:
Martin,

I think this is a great deal and you should be commended on trying to support athletes and grow the sport, while promoting your business. dcrainmaker gets it along with a few others.

I would be interested in seeing if there is a way of working together on this. We have an Ambassador program with age groupers and pros alike. In fact two of the up and comers Lionel Sanders and Cody Beals are sponsored by us and are MSC Ambassadors. (Lionel just won our spring in Bala Falls this morning). This type of arrangement can be a win/win and should be seen as a positive.

Please get in touch with us we can take this offline and review how we can work together. Please contact vivian@rocketsciencesports.com

Marcin

Marcin Sochacki
CEO
Rocket Science Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Marcin Sochacki wrote:
Please send us your CV.

I wonder how many on this forum know what CV means.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: WANT TO BE SPONSORED? [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
Marcin Sochacki wrote:
Please send us your CV.

I wonder how many on this forum know what CV means.

RESUME

Now you are scaring me...
Curriculum vitae
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curriculum_vitae

Marcin Sochacki
CEO
Rocket Science Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
;)

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
very disappointing reaction from many age groupers in this thread. A company in good faith come here to offer a program.....read it, if you dont like it walk away. If you are a age group and qualify for a tiers in this program... it could be interesting and save you money.

And for a up and comer pro that doesn't have strong relationship establish with a company... this could be a first step into starting and growing a new relationship with a company.

Agreed. This is a compelling offer for a rookie pro like me. Sponsors aren't exactly queuing up outside my door, brandishing fat endorsement checks!

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the spirit of things this week it is interesting to see that in order to get any premes or receive the highest level you are required to race IM and HIM races.

JT Multisport | Facebook | Instagram | World Sport Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:

This. Martin (and rocketscience) have been on the boards for 8ish years. Whether it's a discount program or a sponsorship (i.e. free) program (And this has both except for the lowest level), they are still offering something of value. Whether or not you think it has value only speaks of your own personal valuation. Yeah, there are a lot of discount programs out there (Such as Rudy Project) that offer a discount to anyone. This you need to at least pass a screening, and if you continue (or have previously) performed well, then you get free stuff as well.

And with the reception that this is getting, I'm amazed that people like Martin, SuperDave and others continue to post.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm all of the things that would make for a Shark (or Awesome in most amateur races) but social media is lost on me. And I move around too much to really have a following in the local races. So, I suppose I'm not looking for some free schwag (unless you really need someone in the Houston area). I've been lax on racing these past couple years but that should improve for next year when my new kid is old enough to be outside for extended periods and can walk about on his own.

So I guess the point of this post is: bump.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you're trying to launch a company by getting the smallest percentage of the people racing to wear your shit (1% of the 100% racing)? Yeah, what a great CEO you are. If I were trying to launch a company, I'd be hitting up the larger number percentage which are the ones NOT placing top 3 (99%of 100%).

The 99% are slower and they are out there a lot longer, so your name is seen for a longer period of time by many more people. Your goal is to get the MOST publicity as possible right? Why choose 3 rabbits wearing your gear when you can have 97 turtles wearing it?

Take a page from Rudy Project who gave EVERYONE at Kona an aero helmet. All I see are Rudy Project helmets these days.
Quote Reply
Re: WANT TO BE SPONSORED? [xc800runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an additional comment for this thread. I recently trained for the CDA IM with a local athlete who is sponsored by Hammer Nutrition. By sponsored I mean that they receive kit and Hammer products at a reduced price. This is the first person I have known who is "sponsored". Because this person is a MOP'er and a relatively "normal" person, they train and interact with a much larger audience than say a pro or FOP'er. Thus, they are promoting the product to a much larger audience. If I were selling/promoting a product I would provide an additional level of sponsorship for the average triathlete but limit the number to a manageable group (say 300 people).

I guess it would be very similar to being part of a bike shop club or race team where you wear their kit and get discounts at that shop. A large majority of the triathletes in my community have joined one or the two local shop teams to get reduced kits, bike gear, and shop maintenance. Depending on fundraisers and club sponsors etc, the race entry fees are partially reimbursed.
Quote Reply
Re: WANT TO BE SPONSORED? [TrekGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Should probably read the whole thread

------

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.
Quote Reply

Prev Next