Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Anyone know why Garmin pro team is not using the vector? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 Andy.

Very interesting. But I really suppose that physical force of leaning the bike could change biomechanics to try and compensate!

Carson Christen
Sport Scientist / Coach
Torden Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know why Garmin pro team is not using the vector? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is what I think is the potential cause as the bike did have some degree of leaning into the wind entire time. Anyway, just interesting observatio. As I mentioned, I do not pay much attention to balance in my files. I would not know what to do with that data anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know why Garmin pro team is not using the vector? [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had heard that soon after either the tour de suisse or giro the team was told they could use different PMs. Not sure who made the call, but the data I have seen from riders using SRM (has been extremely consistent). I know Garmin has an analytics person, so that may have had something to do with it. Though most teams are still old school, I think there is a push (like most sports) to move towards a hard data approach to stage planning / pacing / etc. So unless there is a $ponsor reason teams are going to want data accuracy and consistency (I'm not saying Vectors aren't accurate just speculating on why they might change).

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Founder: BestBikeSplit
Amazonian
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know why Garmin pro team is not using the vector? [TheGupster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Garmin out next year as a sponsor right?
Like they could care less..re public perception...

Warranty on their product is likely killing them :)
Hence they can't be bothered fixing the 910xt ... Just walk away quietly..... Ssshhhhhh no one will notice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
atasic wrote:
chrica04 wrote:
That's interesting....so I'm understanding that after 90ish miles or so, you start seeing the difference in your leg balance??

Definitely could be a "stronger" leg taking hold of the fatigue in the other. Maybe some more single leg or functional strength, isolating the legs.

The imbalance begins recording as soon as I hit crosswinds and spans entire time of the ride, no connection with fatigue. I rode extensively East-West during those times and our prevailing winds are S-SW, many days of high and gusty winds, so not really related to fatigue.

Interesting - maybe something about leaning the bike that alters how you pedal?

Perhaps, or perhaps it doesn't change how he pedals but rather how the Stages' accelerometers work.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know why Garmin pro team is not using the vector? [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those curious, official answer back from Garmin regarding the team not using real/complete Vector systems and instead using SRM systems (it was a two-part question):

"In regard to the pictures posted – as part of our partnership with Slipstream Sports, Garmin works with the athletes, mechanics and head of Sport Science to continue to develop our products, including Vector. By doing so, we are able to make improvements and enhancements before these products are made available to the general public. As such, it is not at all uncommon to see different combinations of Vector, pedals, and other power meters on team bikes. We are committed to the constant improvement of our products, including our Vector power meters."

Obviously, from my standpoint kinda sidesteps any real answer. Anyway, fwiw.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know why Garmin pro team is not using the vector? [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And you can put Rotor in the same boat... Lampre is using a blackout Power2Max with a Rotor on the left crank. Problem is... there is only one garmin on the handlebar...
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know why Garmin pro team is not using the vector? [shadwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shadwell wrote:

Warranty on their product is likely killing them :)
Hence they can't be bothered fixing the 910xt ... Just walk away quietly..... Ssshhhhhh no one will notice

technically it's 'they COULDN'T care less'. If they COULD care less, then they should care less. :) Anyways, they should care if they want to have a market for the Vector or any of their other products. As for the 910xt, they are fixing it. You just have to send in your unit for a refurbished one, which happens on an annual basis. At least for me it does. :(

Quote | Reply
shadwell wrote:

I believe that Garmin is going to remain a sponsor, just not a title sponsor.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know why Garmin pro team is not using the vector? [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will garmin make a public statement about this?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know why Garmin pro team is not using the vector? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So their sponsorship will be half a job, well it's consistent with their product. Devel and support I guess ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know why Garmin pro team is not using the vector? [TheGupster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha sorry re my grammar, I'm welsh and contractually obliged to vandalise the language.... ;)

Even the free second hand units don't pick up power data properly...
Oh and you still can't just use it as a regular watch in a low power mode i.e. no gps pick up.... (910xt here).
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know why Garmin pro team is not using the vector? [BCDon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought the had issue with clearance for the strain gauge on the drive side arm.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know why Garmin pro team is not using the vector? [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:
For those curious, official answer back from Garmin regarding the team not using real/complete Vector systems and instead using SRM systems (it was a two-part question):

"In regard to the pictures posted – as part of our partnership with Slipstream Sports, Garmin works with the athletes, mechanics and head of Sport Science to continue to develop our products, including Vector. By doing so, we are able to make improvements and enhancements before these products are made available to the general public. As such, it is not at all uncommon to see different combinations of Vector, pedals, and other power meters on team bikes. We are committed to the constant improvement of our products, including our Vector power meters."

Well a non-answer is just as good as the truth in this situation, I think. I don't really understand how Garmin can do hardware/software development on the Vector if the pedals are not being fitted with transmitter-battery pods.

I've looked at heaps of pictures of the TDF races bikes (S5's, R5's) fitted with race numbers and pictures of bikes on the team car without being able to find a bike where it appears that the battery-transmitter pods are fitted. Maybe I'm missing it.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know why Garmin pro team is not using the vector? [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pantelones wrote:
dcrainmaker wrote:

Well a non-answer is just as good as the truth in this situation, I think. I don't really understand how Garmin can do hardware/software development on the Vector if the pedals are not being fitted with transmitter-battery pods.

I've looked at heaps of pictures of the TDF races bikes (S5's, R5's) fitted with race numbers and pictures of bikes on the team car without being able to find a bike where it appears that the battery-transmitter pods are fitted. Maybe I'm missing it.

Found it for you:

Look closely and you can see the pods attached.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know why Garmin pro team is not using the vector? [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The picture after the one you uploaded:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pantelones wrote:

In my TdF post from Wednesday you can see them attached as well. http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...g-france-touque.html

In general you won't see PM's on bikes on team cars. There are occasional exceptions (actually, I think Team Sky does just mostly for appearance reasons). But because the extra bikes on team cars are adhoc things if a bike goes down, then it's tough to get everything re-paired logistically mid-race*, so teams don't bother.

*Note: It's actually quite easy technically to just write down an ANT+ ID number on the handlebars, but I can understand where that'd be the last thing a TdF riders wants to deal with mid-race post-crash

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know why Garmin pro team is not using the vector? [over9000!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure the first photo is not from the Tour as you can see the zip tied tag holder on the left fork. Tour bikes have the transponder on the rear chainstays.

As for the second photo... I agree it shows the pods installed but I don't understand why they would have the pods on some bikes and off others. I don't understand why they would have to remove the pods at all (unless for development reasons?). Were you able to find any action photos from tour stages which show pods attached... I've only found shots of bikes with no pods.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sky could just untwist the garmin head u it and twist it onto the replacement bike... But yeah...priorities...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or they could fix the 910xt and riders could have power data on he wrist..as back up..... Except froomey cos his are broken......
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know why Garmin pro team is not using the vector? [over9000!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
over9000! wrote:
Found it for you:

Look closely and you can see the pods attached.

I'm more interested in that jersey/skinsuit he's wearing. Past the elbows!

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply

Prev Next