Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Run drills- need to work my a**!
Quote | Reply
Hi Everyone-

I would like some feedback about running drills that 'activate the glutes.'

The Jane Fonda exercises are really boring and I haven't tried the Brazilian Butt Lift, but I would like to learn about glute exercises that are concomitantly a form of running (or closely related to running).

In particular the gluteus medius, but glute focused drills in general would be helpful.

Thanks!

Proud Representative of Slowtwitch Anti-Atheists Society.
Quote Reply
Re: Run drills- need to work my a**! [Iamironman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Google Myrtl routine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
walk sideways
do grapevines

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sprinting?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oh my. Who told you that you needed to activate your glutes & how did they determine that?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Run drills- need to work my a**! [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, while i douth he really need to train is glutes... it wasnt the question so you lost 5 points with your answer on the Jonnyo's scale...

the proper answer; treadmill...crank it 6-10% and run. You will get glutes and specificity! now, i m just not sure like you that the op really need this.

and i will avoid sharing my opinion on drills!!!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Run drills- need to work my a**! [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So your saying I have good looking glutes! Thanks for noticing all those years when you lived with me!!!!!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swim, bike, run........train, race, beer.....don't overthink it!

"I would definitely smell her seat after a century ride"
Rappstar wrote:
That might be the post of the year right there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
oh my. Who told you that you needed to activate your glutes & how did they determine that?

PT told me that. She said that my psoas is tight and inhibiting my glutes on my left side. The PT said that my glute inhibition is overtaxing my hamstrings which then is affecting my knee.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Glut activation" is a mythical concept made by unprofessional DPTs.
Quote Reply
Re: Run drills- need to work my a**! [Nick_Barkley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick_Barkley wrote:

Strange. I had this very diagnosis a while back and was given a set of exercises that for me, made a massive impact on both my ability to run, and my efficiency when running. So while you obviously have your opinion, mine is that this concept is in fact very real.

On the internet, you can be anything you want. It is a pity so many people choose to be stupid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iamironman wrote:
desert dude wrote:

PT told me that. She said that my psoas is tight and inhibiting my glutes on my left side. The PT said that my glute inhibition is overtaxing my hamstrings which then is affecting my knee.

Sounds like she is describing Janda's lower crossed syndrome. You should be discussing this with your PT, who, unlike anyone who will post here, has actually laid eyes on you and physically examined you in person. Training your glutes is almost never a bad thing.

Simplify, Train, Live
Quote Reply
Re: Run drills- need to work my a**! [chrisbint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisbint wrote:
Nick_Barkley wrote:

Strange. I had this very diagnosis a while back and was given a set of exercises that for me, made a massive impact on both my ability to run, and my efficiency when running. So while you obviously have your opinion, mine is that this concept is in fact very real.

Glute activation isn't a diagnosis.
How'd you measure your efficiency?
What studies can you point me to that suggest that training the glutes to activate improves performance ?

Strengthening the glutes is different than the BS concept of glute activation.
Last edited by: Nick_Barkley: May 24, 14 15:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick_Barkley wrote:

Funny that you say that b/c I feel that I'm in touch with my glutes- I can bounce each of them by twitching the muscle fibers. However, I think that movement uses only the gluteus maximus and I do not know whether it uses the medial or minimus muscles.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick_Barkley wrote:
chrisbint wrote:
Nick_Barkley wrote:

Glute activation isn't a diagnosis.
How'd you measure your efficiency?
What studies can you point me to that suggest that training the glutes to activate improves running economy or improves performance runners without a specific pathology?

Apologies. I must have misunderstood the meaning of the word, seemed applicable to me.

I have no studies, just my own opinion and measures. I had a problem, followed some guidance from my PT with regards to specific exercises and the problems went away and I am running better than ever. I can offer you no more than my N=1 experience.

Thanks

On the internet, you can be anything you want. It is a pity so many people choose to be stupid.
Quote Reply
Re: Run drills- need to work my a**! [Mike Prevost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Prevost wrote:
Iamironman wrote:
desert dude wrote:

Sounds like she is describing Janda's lower crossed syndrome. You should be discussing this with your PT, who, unlike anyone who will post here, has actually laid eyes on you and physically examined you in person. Training your glutes is almost never a bad thing.

PT immediately noticed that on the opposite side from my knee issue that my hip was 'higher' than the other side (with no significant leg length discrepancy).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iamironman wrote:
Mike Prevost wrote:
Iamironman wrote:
desert dude wrote:

PT immediately noticed that on the opposite side from my knee issue that my hip was 'higher' than the other side (with no significant leg length discrepancy).

Well....there you go. You have a specifically diagnosed condition by a PT who has actually laid hands on you. Listen to the PT.

Either that or just take random advice from anonymous posters on this forum who have no idea what is wrong with you and have never seen you in person.

Simplify, Train, Live
Quote Reply
Re: Run drills- need to work my a**! [chrisbint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The problem is whom ever told you got lucky, they threw a dart in the dark and hit the bulls eye.
In order to know if the glutes are or are not firing correctly you need to do an EMG, well 2 one before and one after intervention to see if the intervention actually changed the firing pattern.

Consider yourself lucky and maybe pick up a lottery ticket.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
The problem is whom ever told you got lucky, they threw a dart in the dark and hit the bulls eye.
In order to know if the glutes are or are not firing correctly you need to do an EMG, well 2 one before and one after intervention to see if the intervention actually changed the firing pattern.

Well....if you really know what you are looking for you can see it in the run gait. I also use some simple movement screening before looking at run gait so that what I see during the run makes more sense. Glute medius is typically more problematic specifically, but glute maximus works with the glute medius in stablizing the hip so you can almost make that assumption. It is not an EMG but in some cases it is a safe assumption. Of course, as you said EMG is the definitive answer but in some cases I go for glute medius and maximus strengthening because I can see that the hip is not adequately stabilized leading to a really dysfunctional gait. We have had some success at clearing up some gait issues with that approach. Does not always work though. Training the glutes is almost never a bad thing.

Simplify, Train, Live
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

Yeah, I don't know about how lucky she was.

It seems like that I need to do one of two things (or maybe a little of both): 1) lower the hip that is too high and 2) raise the hip that is lower.

None of this tells me what is causing the problem (yes, I spend a lot of time sitting and typing). The PT even asked me if I had been in a car wreck or if I had caught myself in a fall when she looked at my pelvis.

No car wrecks, thankfully, but I catch myself falling about once weekly b/c that is part of trail running (which is my main hobby).

Quote Reply
Re: Run drills- need to work my a**! [Mike Prevost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Prevost wrote:
Iamironman wrote:
Mike Prevost wrote:
Iamironman wrote:
desert dude wrote:

Well....there you go. You have a specifically diagnosed condition by a PT who has actually laid hands on you. Listen to the PT.

Either that or just take random advice from anonymous posters on this forum who have no idea what is wrong with you and have never seen you in person.

I would like not to take random advice from this forum. I am looking for ways to alleviate this condition through activities aside from the basic stretching and clamshells b/c those things do not seem to help and even if they were the specific remedy and I wake up one morning and remain symptom free, then I have no way of knowing whether it was the minor glute activation exercises or something else (such as getting a new car that has an automatic transmission).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't speak to theories and don't want to get into arguments but can give you my own recent experience.

In December I suffered a bad IT band injury. After several weeks of rest and a slow return to running the problem wouldn't fully go away. I saw an ortho and he did several physical tests and determined that I did indeed have an IT band issue which likely caused damage to the retinaculum (which made a popping sensation when I extended my knee). He thought the root cause was weakness in the glute med.

At his advice I saw a ART guy and a PT for a while. The ART guy had me do some movements and it was clear my hip and glute med were weak and causing my leg to basically cross over when I ran which caused a chain reaction. It was a mess.

Caveat - I had a hip replacement on that injured side in 2009. It was clearly my fault for ignoring it but I am more susceptible than people with their original parts.

The PT gave me a lot of the normal exercises such as clamshells, side lifts, squats, single leg balances, etc. the most useful thing she had me do was using a band around my ankles and doing side walks with my feet turned slightly inward to really work the glute med. Very similar to the monster walk that some people do.

After a while I really focused on the ankle/band walks and single leg balance drills. Those actually seemed to work and weren't as awful boring as clamshells.

Took a while but by late March I was back to full speed. Now I just have to remember to not ignore my hip strength.

------------------------
Loud pawls save lives
Last edited by: BionicMan: May 24, 14 18:09
Quote Reply
Re: Run drills- need to work my a**! [BionicMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BionicMan wrote:
I can't speak to theories and don't want to get into arguments but can give you my own recent experience.

In December I suffered a bad IT band injury. After several weeks of rest and a slow return to running the problem wouldn't fully go away. I saw an ortho and he did several physical tests and determined that I did indeed have an IT band issue which likely caused damage to the retinaculum (which made a popping sensation when I extended my knee). He thought the root cause was weakness in the glute med.

At his advice I saw a ART guy and a PT for a while. The ART guy had me do some movements and it was clear my hip and glute med were weak and causing my leg to basically cross over when I ran which caused a chain reaction. It was a mess.

Caveat - I had a hip replacement on that injured side in 2009. It was clearly my fault for ignoring it but I am more susceptible than people with their original parts.

The PT gave me a lot of the normal exercises such as clamshells, side lifts, squats, single leg balances, etc. the most useful thing she had me do was using a band around my ankles and doing side walks with my feet turned slightly inward to really work the glute med. Very similar to the monster walk that some people do.

After a while I really focused on the ankle/band walks and single leg balance drills. Those actually seemed to work and weren't as awful boring as clamshells.

Took a while but by late March I was back to full speed. Now I just have to remember to not ignore my hip strength.

Thank you. That gives me some encouragement to continue with the glute exercises.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're welcome and good luck. It may take a couple weeks before things start to click but hang in there. Clamshells be damned. Ha ha.

Eta: crap, sorry but I forgot one more. The pistol squat or any variant of it. Hard as hell to do well and seems to work everything in the hip and glutes.

------------------------
Loud pawls save lives
Last edited by: BionicMan: May 24, 14 18:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I didn't sleep much last night b/c of an aching back. I was up at 0430 and did a great deal of thinking about what could have injured the QL muscle in my back b/c the PT said that when injured that it can cause glut inhibition.

I could not think of a single sudden impact, traumatic injury, or even an incident where injury could have occurred from something like picking up a chair or couch, etc. - until I remembered getting brushed by a car that had swerved at me, HEAD ON. To avoid getting hit or run over, I turned so hard that I rolled my tire off the rim and the car's rear fender brushed my thigh. This happened while turning onto a side road; the driver was coming to a stop sign, but he/she accelerated about 50 yards from the stop and swerved into my lane- directly toward me. At the last possible second, the driver swerved very aggressively away from me, back into his/her lane and that is the only reason that I was not crushed.

I was angered, but also relieved that I wasn't hit, yet I distinctly recall that my back hurt for about two weeks. There is a fair chance that I pulled or strained some muscle in my back during that evasive maneuver.

I thought little of the back pain because I hadn't been hit and aches and pains are part of being an athlete, but that probably is where this all began.

The good news is that the PT said that my hip/glute problem is fixable.

Quote Reply

Prev Next