Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [BrianD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrianD wrote:
Crash Dog wrote:
+1 on the minivan. EVERYTHING fits INSIDE upright with room for gear AND people.

+2 on the minivan. Also, if you want to fit gear, kids and dog, the Suburban works too (although bikes are on hitch rack):

What a beautiful dog.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [cyclops] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclops wrote:
amagangan wrote:
I also had a $10K budget so I went for a P5 and will just ride it places I need to go.

yea but if you want di2 plus carbon wheels you'll need more than 10K for the P5.

that's true. I can get di2 within the $10K and then the zipps are what I would spend on fuel... I think
although I still have to buy cliff bars, that counts toward fuel budget

ok if I keep the P5 for 2 years then I can get the zipps
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [severinj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
severinj wrote:
Any thoughts on the 03 ford focus zx5?

I Have on 04 SVT Focus (zx3 platform is same as zx5 but with 2 doors not 4) and with the back seats down it can fit my bike (61cm) with only taking the front wheel off and still get bags inside. I've fit both my road and TT bike in there with both wheels off the frames and strategic blanket placement, but it doesn't leave much room for bags unless you fill up the front seat. The mileage is great though so you can make it work, plus the price of those is a steal now and you can do 90% of the maintenance if you are mechanically savvy.

----------------------------------------------
David
2007 Trek Madone 5.2 Discovery Channel
2011 Trek Speed Concept 9.5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hard to beat a chevy HHR: cheap with lots of room in the back, takes a rack well on top or rear and good mileage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
VW Jetta Sportwagon TDI (diesel). 50 mpg, room four 4 + bikes - case closed.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [bmcmaster11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!...we are fond of her. She has somehow associated the opening of the rear hatch with a permanent invitation to climb in.
Last edited by: BrianD: Mar 1, 12 12:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone use a BMW X3? I'm looking to get rid of my A4 and really don't want to get into wagons or vans quite yet. (I'm 25, I cant own a wagon)
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [nscott1463] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't recommend the X3 for bile hauling. The rear seat folds at a terrible angle which is a hassle for bike hauling. I can fit 2 tri bikes inside with minimal gear, but it took some master puzzle solving. Think the Element is ugly, but always envy my friends when they're loading after a ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [Newton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks newton! I figured it could handle one bike but I'll be carpooling a lot with one other person so its good to know it can't handle two. Any other suggestions for something similar but not so ugly I can't be seen in it (aka element)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would a subaru outback sport work? Its more of a hatchback then a wagon....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
severinj wrote:
That is amazing. Might have to expand my budget to get this hotel on wheels/pseudo-car, despite how bad it looks.

Yeah, pretty darn amazing...I have commented a million times how ugly that car is...I must say I have a newfound respect for that car. I guess I can do like in highschool and forego looks ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nscott1463 wrote:
Thanks newton! I figured it could handle one bike but I'll be carpooling a lot with one other person so its good to know it can't handle two. Any other suggestions for something similar but not so ugly I can't be seen in it (aka element)?

My buddy just went from the Focus ZX3 to the Element and he couldn't be happier. It's not *that* ugly. At least it is 100% practical, especially for the things we do. That being said, I wouldn't be caught dead owning one :)

Anyone use the new Cayenne? What about the new Jeep Grand Cherokee?
Last edited by: alexaqui: Mar 2, 12 12:06
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [T-TownRocks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-TownRocks wrote:
VW Jetta Sportwagon TDI (diesel). 50 mpg, room four 4 + bikes - case closed.

You got four people and their bikes inside a Jetta sportwagon? Pics or it didn't happen (don't show me one with bikes on the roof).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had my eye on the Land Rover LR3/LR4 because of the cargo height. Gas mileage is terrible and I think their repair record is still poor.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [ElGordo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That has to be with bikes on the roof/hitch for the Jetta wagon. You probably can't fit four bikes in a passat wagon especially with people and gear.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [chadm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chadm wrote:
I think I am the only one here who likes the mazda protege5.

No, you are not ;-)

Love mine.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [Newton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Newton wrote:
I've had my eye on the Land Rover LR3/LR4 because of the cargo height. Gas mileage is terrible and I think their repair record is still poor.
Buddy of mine has an '11 LR4 with at least 50K on it. No issues...at least none that weren't inflicted on it by the buddy's wife. Repair costs are pricey though- almost 1K for a new mirror (wife) and 800 for a new windshield. He, and more importantly, his wife love the thing. It is a good looking tank!
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [Crash Dog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Sienna is NO GOOD for hauling a bike! I had to remove the front wheel today to get it past the boxes of girlscout cookies, 6 pair of skis and extra clothes. I'm going to trade up to a Unimog or troop transport

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll throw in my new volt. I'm loving the fact that I'll need to stop for gas every other month. Holds my stuff inside or outside the car.
I can't fit anyone in the backseat with the bike in the car. I need the family cruiser for that.

Brian
“Eat and Drink, spin the legs and you’re going to effin push (today).” A Howe
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [TriBri00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The best car for a triathlete would be a reliable car because a unreliable car will steal your triathlon gear and race entry money in order to feed repairs and expensive maintnence. Toyota and Honda are super reliable and easy-cheap to service, so I would put those brands high on my list of potental cars to own.
European cars are expensive to service and can turn into money pits once the factory warranty runs out. VW, Audi can be very trouble prone and a pain to service. Mercedes, BMW, Land Rover, Jaguar, Porshche are very expensive to service and reliablity is a crap shoot with the odds staked up against you. Unless you have really deep pockets, I would avoid Euro cars, espesially used ones.
's
I own a 2001 SVT Mustang cobra convertible and while the reliability with American cars can be crap shoot, I've come out as a winner with this car. Plus, because it's a Ford, it's cheap and easy to service so it's been a good car and it can haul 2 bikes and related tri gear with ease.

Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [Bull_Winkle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bull_Winkle wrote:
The best car for a triathlete would be a reliable car because a unreliable car will steal your triathlon gear and race entry money in order to feed repairs and expensive maintnence. Toyota and Honda are super reliable and easy-cheap to service, so I would put those brands high on my list of potental cars to own.
European cars are expensive to service and can turn into money pits once the factory warranty runs out. VW, Audi can be very trouble prone and a pain to service. Mercedes, BMW, Land Rover, Jaguar, Porshche are very expensive to service and reliablity is a crap shoot with the odds staked up against you. Unless you have really deep pockets, I would avoid Euro cars, espesially used ones.
's
I own a 2001 SVT Mustang cobra convertible and while the reliability with American cars can be crap shoot, I've come out as a winner with this car. Plus, because it's a Ford, it's cheap and easy to service so it's been a good car and it can haul 2 bikes and related tri gear with ease.

FYI, my family has owned six VW's over past 12 years (3 drivers). Currently own a 2012 Passat, 2008 Passat, and 2009 Jetta. We keep buying because they are high-quality German engineering, are fun to drive, get great gas mileage and, unlike your comment, have been very reliable with virtually zero unusual costs except for routine maintenance. Over the last 10 years, VW has greatly improved their reliability....you may be thinking of their 1980's, early 90's products. The newer Passat TDI is a fantastic car for high mileage drivers. The Jetta and Passat wagons are great drivers and bike haulers. Again, just an fyi.

PS......nice "Stang"
Last edited by: gphin305: Apr 21, 14 11:37
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
Bull_Winkle wrote:
's

FYI, my family has owned six VW's over past 12 years (3 drivers). Currently own a 2012 Passat, 2008 Passat, and 2009 Jetta. We keep buying because they are high-quality German engineering, are fun to drive, get great gas mileage and, unlike your comment, have been very reliable with virtually zero unusual costs except for routine maintenance. Over the last 10 years, VW has greatly improved their reliability....you may be thinking of their 1980's, early 90's products. The newer Passat TDI is a fantastic car for high mileage drivers. The Jetta and Passat wagons are great drivers and bike haulers. Again, just an fyi.

PS......nice "Stang"

I heard that, so I bought an '07 GTI. In three years:

1) intake manifold flap motor died
2) ABS pump died
3) CD changer died

Yeah, I got rid of it before the warranty expired.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:

PS......nice "Stang"

Congratulations on winning the German reliability lottery with your VW's. Your good luck with VW reliably is the exception rather than the rule. In my experience as automotive technician, VW's and Audi were some of the most trouble prone and annoying cars to repair with Land Rover and Mini following close behind. In my view, I see that the Germans over engineer their products for no good reason. I would never buy a used VW or Audi

The Japanese cars are a different story, For example all a Toyota really needs is filters and fluid changes through it's life time compared to a VW or BMW that eats expensive parts such as ABS pumps, valve control parts or plastic cooling system parts that often require many hours of labor to replace.

If you are buying new, the Euro cars are very stylish and come a warranty so you could take a chance with one. However, if you are buying used, no question that Asian cars deserve serious consideration due to their solid reliability that lasts long after the warranty runs out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a few years older than you are and i'm seriously looking at a vovlo v60 wagon for when i get two more promotions, hopefully within 3 years

It's not as large as other wagons out there, but with the seats folded, you can fit two bikes without taking off the wheels. Saw one of them at a bike race and chatted up with the owner about it. Personally i'd prefer the fuel stingy V4 (never thought i'd say that), which puts out 240hp, but a 300 hp v6 is also available
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
Bull_Winkle wrote:
's

PS......nice "Stang"

As others have noted, congrats on winning the anecdotal German automobile engineering lottery. You don't want to hear about my experience with Audi and Mercedes over the last decade; never again. Anecdotally as well, my brother has the exact same car as you and as of two weeks ago he was on the verge of trading it in because of constant little electrical problems (runs great though).
Quote Reply

Prev Next