Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Drinking flat coke in races
Quote | Reply
Trying to figure out what I want to do during the run for IMLT. But in talking to some folks, some say they bring nothing with them but drink flat coke during the entire marathon and have done well.
Any thoughts from folks who use flat coke as part or all of their nutrition plan during the run?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Drinking flat coke in races [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have done 8 IMs, and at each one I have had only coke/soda (whatever they offer) during the marathon; except my first where I tried a gel and a Red Bull (major energy crash problem). For me, after 5 hours on the bike, I really lose the taste for gels/perform and find the sweetness of cola to be just right, and it seems to really absorb easily when my stomach is fatigued, which is why I think most people rely on it. I never drink soda outside of the marathon, so I am not sure how that impacts my use/taste for it during the race, but it works!

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
problem is that 80% of the coke on course will not be flat. bless the volunteers who are out there, but many simply don't know to de-gas it.

its hard to do you know (make flat coke), takes a special kind of knowledge to do it right.

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Last edited by: karma: Jul 18, 13 16:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When Coke was first introduced into IM feed-stations - many peeps advocated only starting it for the second have of the run - However, I and all my clients start at the first aid station and continue throughout the run --none have had any GI issues - the caffeine really seems to help.

I think the key is once you start you have to keep consuming it for the caffeine.

Hope this helps

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never trained with it once. I don't even drink soda... but damn that stuff is awesome! I couldn't get my speed up to my goal pace because I was getting tired the second 13.1 & flat coke was like a turbo botton for me (relatively speaking). The chicken broth is awesome too, but it made me burp a little bit.

Just realize that your stomach will be "somewhat weird" and eating lots of different things to try to fix it is a bad idea.

Stay away from the cookies, no matter how good they look & avoid the post race chocolate milks. That post race chocolate milk messed me up!!! That was my biggest regret to the entire day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds gross but I know a good number of folks who supplement their coke consumption with chicken broth and find the two rather tasty. Most likely the chicken broth provides sodium for those craving it.

YMMV,

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Drinking flat coke in races [karma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
karma wrote:
problem is that 80% of the coke on course will not be flat. bless the volunteers who are out there, but many simply don't know to de-gas it.

its hard to do you know (make flat coke), takes a special kind of knowledge to do it right.

Okay I will ask the stupid question, anything other than opening the bottle?

I will be seeing the IMLT RD in a week at Donner, so this might be something I ask him about.

I sure understand the comments about the gel after the bike. I was SO sick of them.

This time I am going to try some solid food with PBJ sandwiches. On a long training day today, I had 2 at the 2 hour point on my 4 hour bike, then had 2 before my 2 hour run. Seemed to settle okay.
Just would like to not carry anything on the run so taking coke, and I hear good things about the chicken broth. Was also thinking of 2 more PBJ sandwiches around the half way point on the run.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Drinking flat coke in races [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMOZ served up hot chicken broth on a hot day during the run leg. It tasted great. They also had jelly beans. I passed on them but lots of others consumed a lot of them.
Quote Reply
Re: Drinking flat coke in races [feman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At IMF the cola started flowing at the bike aid stations and continued for the rest of the race. I saw only two people with stomach issues -- I'm sure there were more -- but what was left on the road contained more than just cola.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coke every aid station.

salt tab every other aid station.

water when thirsty.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Okay I will ask the stupid question, anything other than opening the bottle? .

c'mon dude, you've been around here long enough to know better

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Drinking flat coke in races [djmsbr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
djmsbr wrote:
IMOZ served up hot chicken broth on a hot day during the run leg. It tasted great. They also had jelly beans. I passed on them but lots of others consumed a lot of them.

There is another.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Drinking flat coke in races [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know I am an engineer and always looking for others thoughts. No matter how simple or dumb a question might be, I always learn something from others.

The comment about will the race "do" it right is what has me thinking. If I ask the RD about it, I want to make sure I ask the right question. :o)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apparently freezing Coke will also make it flat.

But does it really need to be flat to calm the stomach?

Graham Barron Design: Custom west coast house design http://www.grahambarron.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Drinking flat coke in races [rhet0ric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhet0ric wrote:
Apparently freezing Coke will also make it flat.

But does it really need to be flat to calm the stomach?

No first hand experience, yet, which is why I am asking.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bloat from carbonation

I really don't get why they don't just pour a few dozen bottles into five gallon coolers the night before. THen it would all be good to go by race time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

This time I am going to try some solid food with PBJ sandwiches. On a long training day today, I had 2 at the 2 hour point on my 4 hour bike, then had 2 before my 2 hour run. Seemed to settle okay.
Just would like to not carry anything on the run so taking coke, and I hear good things about the chicken broth. Was also thinking of 2 more PBJ sandwiches around the half way point on the run.

Dave,

Peanut butter is fine food for easy training ,levels but if you intend to actually race this IM I'd steer away from consuming it during the race. It slows gastric emptying, is tough to digest and provides nothing that your body doesn't already have on hand in surplus (fat and a tiny amount of protein). That said, a very small peanut butter treat of some sort might really hit the spot midway on the bike but I'd certainly not build it in as a main component of your nutritional plan. Jelly or jam sandwiches would certainly be very similar to gels and would work if you prefer them.

YMMV,

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great points. I have a long course race mid August that rather than "racing", I was going to try some of the nutrition ideas. I agree I have never tried at race pace so I think your inputs might be right on. :o(

Any others have experience with some solid foods during the race like PBJ? I just bonked so bad on my first, and got sick of Gel's, I need a better game plan.

Quote Reply
Re: Drinking flat coke in races [TheBeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheBeek wrote:
bloat from carbonation

Isn't that what burping is for? (Seriously)

Graham Barron Design: Custom west coast house design http://www.grahambarron.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Drinking flat coke in races [TheBeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheBeek wrote:
bloat from carbonation

I really don't get why they don't just pour a few dozen bottles into five gallon coolers the night before. THen it would all be good to go by race time.

Well technically....they could just take a large drink dispenser(like those big orange gatorade dispensers with the spigot on bottom and screw on lid) fill it with ice and pour the coke in. Leave the top ajar and it'll fizzle out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah burping is good.
waiting a mile or two to get a good one to clear things up can be rough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
It sounds gross but I know a good number of folks who supplement their coke consumption with chicken broth and find the two rather tasty. Most likely the chicken broth provides sodium for those craving it.

YMMV,

Hugh

Yeah that does sound gross, when I'm doing coke I really don't want any food at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's the magic juice! I still remember Mark Allen on the IMH coverage in the early 90s. "I need Coke......!"

It is better in Europe where there is no corn syrup.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did only coke at IMCDA last year for the entire marathon. It was magic.

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply
Re: Drinking flat coke in races [karma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's sooooo easy to defizz coke.

Fill a big esky/cooler with ice. Leave the drain hole open. Dump in coke so you get some proper foam. Drain into a second esky/cooler, also full of ice. Use the drain hole in the lower esky to fill cups.

This works really easy with a picnic table. Upper esky goes on the table, lower esky goes on the seat, and it drains off the end of the seat. this means each aid station and have 4 coke stations on one picnic table, with the space in the middle for cups, mixing the replacement drink or whatever. Ice gets stored under the table, in the shade, so it doesn't melt too fast.

If you're a RD, don't substitute sugar free or caffeine free coke. I know this sounds like common sense, but as common sense come free with every package of hen's teeth, I think it needs mentioning. Especially since I've been in races where both of these mistakes have been made!

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply

Prev Next