Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Doval non-round ring's [joroshiba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There just aren't enough positions to dial it in correctly. This is something rotor has figured out, not sure why other companies aren't doing the same (in terms of mounting positions). I've put about 800 miles on my Prototype 2.0 modified osy-like shape (below) with multiple mounting positions. So far I have the mounting positions narrowed to two depending on the type of riding (hilly riding more upright or flat in the drops/sitting further forward).

Planning on setting up my test rig after new years when I finish my new prototype (fixes some FD clearing issues and will be black to match). Btw this is just a hobby and more of an experiment, nothing is for sale (got a few PMs last time). These would not be ideal for most people as wrenching is a bit tricky and can sometimes require a dremel...but I have yet to drop a chain!

Quote Reply
Re: Doval non-round ring's [Mrcooper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I'm wishing it had a couple more positions about now! Is the setup it is currently in your flats or hilly chainring position?

Very interested in seeing how your testing works out. I'm very much considering scrapping the rings since I will be dealing with inflation factor if I put them on the Quarq I will be purchasing in about a month, and have seen no real improvements yet. (not saying they aren't there, could be a small advantage) Plus the issue with different positions. I'm thinking that if you were fixated in a TT position they might be good, but for road cycling and racing circular seems to be the best compromise for all situations. I'll give them another month though.

---------------------
Jordan Oroshiba --- Roadie invading Triathlete space for knowledge access
Last edited by: joroshiba: Dec 20, 12 10:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right now it's in a normal riding position configuration. It's great for riding on the hoods. On a TT bike or a flat road race, Id rotate one position counterclockwise. I'll start posting power data when I fix my powertap...
Quote Reply
Re: Doval non-round ring's [Mrcooper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting: I didn't like the position similar to that one right there at all. Felt like I had a lot more push time left before it moved towards the "deadspot" section, and felt as though the onset of force was far too soon. I natrually can only make large adjustments but I've now got it setup so that the minor axis is vertical when the crank arm is inline with the seat tube and that feels pretty good so far. Based on feel I'm trying to optimize the location of the easy section not the power section because that seems to make the biggest difference.

---------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any updates on the feel and perceived gains from the rings? Worthwhile trying out or should I save a little more for some rotor's?

Thanks
Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: Doval non-round ring's [Dad2twins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I perceived some gain upon putting the smallest section directly under the crankarm, as well as the default position. I am not using them any more though, this is more a non circular chainring issue though. When setup optimally for standing, they felt terrible when seated when set up optimally for being seated they felt terrible standing. Being a roadie and a mountain goat I do a fair bit of both, I decided a circular chainring offered me the best of all worlds.

---------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interestingly there are now new chainrings from Doval which, like Rotor, have more OCP settings. I tried q rings on my tri bike and o symetrics on my road bike. The os seem to give me more power and also a slightly lower cadence. Since I have a retul move fit bike with a computrainer on it I see worse spinscan values then with round rings. And not only for myself, but with almost any other fit client. However, when I rotated the os into a non advised position I scored great spinscan values. This puzzled me at that time and I stopped testing to clarify this with Rotor and Osymetric. No answer yet, but reading the rotor website you expect better spinscan values with non round rings.
But on the retul move fit bike changing the seat angle from road to tri with an os doesn't seem to influence the spinscan values. So that questions the use of the OCP settings. But I must admit that on the real road on my tri bike I prefer OCP 4 over 3 on the rotor.
I just received the QXL. The weather improved at my place so Incan start riding outdoors again. I will order a new Doval as well.

Anyone an idea why spinscan values seem to be lower with the qr or the os in adviced position?

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Doval non-round ring's [tri-run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Tri-run,

Pay no attention to spin scan values. They are unrelated to performance, perhaps counter-related if anything.

The only way to score well is to reduce your power until your down stroke is as weak as your up stroke. But to go fast you must push hard on the down stroke. QED.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Post deleted by JanSnorway [ In reply to ]
Re: Doval non-round ring's [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hi all, is this chaining installed correctly?

https://plus.google.com/...02492928415224030904
Quote Reply

Prev Next