Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Doval non-round ring's [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
If placebo didn't work, they wouldn't have to control for it in studies, right? :-)

It's funny...the guy who I'm borrowing the Osymetric ring from told me straight out that he doesn't care if it inflates the power on his Quarq and/or if it actually helps his power...he's sticking with them just because he likes how they feel.
I only notice a real difference in feel when climbing out of the saddle. Other than that it feels quite normal. Except for muscle use which I noticably used my hamstrings and glutes more. For now I'm sticking with them because my Rival rings suck (don't shift) and I paid money for these :P. When I do purchase my Quarq (which this molasses rate of saving will be around January) I may have to re-evaluate or I can just remember to take 4% off my power numbers when comparing to others or I could intimidate the competition.

---------------------
Jordan Oroshiba --- Roadie invading Triathlete space for knowledge access
Quote Reply
Re: Doval non-round ring's [joroshiba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
joroshiba wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

If placebo didn't work, they wouldn't have to control for it in studies, right? :-)

It's funny...the guy who I'm borrowing the Osymetric ring from told me straight out that he doesn't care if it inflates the power on his Quarq and/or if it actually helps his power...he's sticking with them just because he likes how they feel.

I only notice a real difference in feel when climbing out of the saddle. Other than that it feels quite normal. Except for muscle use which I noticably used my hamstrings and glutes more. For now I'm sticking with them because my Rival rings suck (don't shift) and I paid money for these :P. When I do purchase my Quarq (which this molasses rate of saving will be around January) I may have to re-evaluate or I can just remember to take 4% off my power numbers when comparing to others or I could intimidate the competition.

Or, just buy a powertap...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Or, just buy a powertap...
I would if I didn't have training wheels + 2.5 wheelsets I use for different events. ( 303s for mountains, old HED wheels for everything else, and then my old Disc for TT's, paid a grand total of $100 for all of those wheels).

---------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depending on how things work with my experiment with them on the TT rig, I may end up using them there for the same reason. However, that then brings in the difficulty of having the inflated power values...unless I go back to running my PT wheel with a cover again. But, I'm also going to compare the effects the Osy ring in the "optimum" position vs. shorter cranks on a "feel" basis. My suspicion is that the "feel" will

Tom if you plan to use them for TT's and round rings for the road bike won't you constantly be working against the muscular adaptation developed on the Osymetric rings? It took me a couple of weeks to feel completely comfortable "adapted" to the Osymetric rings on my TT bike. Consequently I switched to Osymetric rings on the road bike as well to keep from "readapting" to round rings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom

Could you speculate why the quark values are inflated?

What do you think is going on?

My understanding is that power is power, wondering your thoughts, why do you think the values split?
Quote Reply
Re: Doval non-round ring's [valdlaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
valdlaw wrote:
Tom if you plan to use them for TT's and round rings for the road bike won't you constantly be working against the muscular adaptation developed on the Osymetric rings? It took me a couple of weeks to feel completely comfortable "adapted" to the Osymetric rings on my TT bike. Consequently I switched to Osymetric rings on the road bike as well to keep from "readapting" to round rings.

In a word...no. I actually found when riding the Osymetric big ring combined with a round small ring that it only took a minute or two of riding to "get used" to the different feel when going from one ring to the other...the funny thing being that it didn't matter if I was going round -> non-round, or non-round -> to round, after the transition my pedaling felt "jerky". That shows me that (at least for me) any "adaptation" occurs fairly quickly.

BTW, after talking a bit about this subject with a guy much smarter than me (Hi Jim!) there's something about that "adaptation" thing which would tend to imply that non-round rings won't really "work". Here's why: the use of non-round rings is built on the assumption that one can change the joint angle velocities (and thus muscle shortening speeds) in the upper portions of the leg (i.e. the hip and knee joints) as compared to when the legs are attached to a crank with round rings. The "problem" is though, that there are redundant degrees of freedom in the leg structure (i.e. the ankle joint..and even foot flexure) that may prevent this. Here's the kicker though...one can potentially vary those joint angle velocities around the pedal stroke by a much greater margin than any non-round ring could accomplish, just by changing ankle flexure.

The body is an amazing thing...and typically "left to it's own devices" will find the preferred joint angular velocities and muscle shortening speeds. So, what may actually be happening during those "adaptation" phases is your body re-learning how to pedal so that your preferred joint velocities are accomplished. Make sense? This is most likely the reason why, despite some analytical findings to the contrary, little to no power change between round and non-round rings is found through the vast majority of the scientific literature.

So...to get back to your question...I'm not that worried about having different rings on the road bike and TT bike, since my only reason for thinking they may "feel" better for me on the TT bike is probably more of a fit question, and something that I may be able to accomplish anyway with some shorter cranks I have coming my soon ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It doesn't take me any time to adapt to mine I just get on and off go. I feels different for only as long as I think about it. I am switching between a fixed gear and these quite frequently right now and if anything the Doval rings feel smoother to me.

---------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
valdlaw wrote:

In a word...no. I actually found when riding the Osymetric big ring combined with a round small ring that it only took a minute or two of riding to "get used" to the different feel when going from one ring to the other...the funny thing being that it didn't matter if I was going round -> non-round, or non-round -> to round, after the transition my pedaling felt "jerky". That shows me that (at least for me) any "adaptation" occurs fairly quickly.

BTW, after talking a bit about this subject with a guy much smarter than me (Hi Jim!) there's something about that "adaptation" thing which would tend to imply that non-round rings won't really "work". Here's why: the use of non-round rings is built on the assumption that one can change the joint angle velocities (and thus muscle shortening speeds) in the upper portions of the leg (i.e. the hip and knee joints) as compared to when the legs are attached to a crank with round rings. The "problem" is though, that there are redundant degrees of freedom in the leg structure (i.e. the ankle joint..and even foot flexure) that may prevent this. Here's the kicker though...one can potentially vary those joint angle velocities around the pedal stroke by a much greater margin than any non-round ring could accomplish, just by changing ankle flexure.

The body is an amazing thing...and typically "left to it's own devices" will find the preferred joint angular velocities and muscle shortening speeds. So, what may actually be happening during those "adaptation" phases is your body re-learning how to pedal so that your preferred joint velocities are accomplished. Make sense? This is most likely the reason why, despite some analytical findings to the contrary, little to no power change between round and non-round rings is found through the vast majority of the scientific literature.

So...to get back to your question...I'm not that worried about having different rings on the road bike and TT bike, since my only reason for thinking they may "feel" better for me on the TT bike is probably more of a fit question, and something that I may be able to accomplish anyway with some shorter cranks I have coming my soon ;-)

Interesting. In my case I definitely felt that I was working different parts of my muscles and was sore for at least a week after I started the rings. So is the jury still out for you whether you plan to use the rings? Have you come to a definitive conclusion?
Quote Reply
Re: Doval non-round ring's [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Tom

Could you speculate why the quark values are inflated?

What do you think is going on?

My understanding is that power is power, wondering your thoughts, why do you think the values split?

No speculation necessary, just simple physics. Quarq (and SRM) power meters only calculate crank rotational velocity once per revolution, and the assumption made is that the rotational velocity is constant within a pedal revolution. This assumption works really well for the vast majority of situations on a bike and with round rings due to the high inertial mass of a bike+rider system.

However, non-round rings are designed to "work" by VARYING the crank rotational velocity and slowing down the crank during the highest torque phases of the pedal stroke. But, since Power is the product of torque x angular velocity, because the angular velocity during the high torque phases is naturally LESS than the average angular velocity assumed by the PM, this means that when summed over a single pedal revolution, the power will naturally be over-reported (even though the velocity is faster than average during other portions of the pedal cycle, the torques are significantly lower during those periods and thus the power doesn't "even out"). Dan Connelly covered this a bit more mathematically here: http://djconnel.blogspot.com/...uniform-cadence.html

The possibility of this "inflation" was speculated about first using simple math and physics. My testing was just to confirm those calculations...and it did.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
valdlaw wrote:
So is the jury still out for you whether you plan to use the rings? Have you come to a definitive conclusion?

Well...let's just say that knowing what I know now, I'm not expecting any magical power increases from them ;-)

And, if I can get the same "feel" I'm looking for on a TT bike with a shorter crank arm, I know which way I'll be going (and it most likely won't involve buying over-priced chainrings)...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
valdlaw wrote:
So is the jury still out for you whether you plan to use the rings? Have you come to a definitive conclusion?

Well...let's just say that knowing what I know now, I'm not expecting any magical power increases from them ;-)

And, if I can get the same "feel" I'm looking for on a TT bike with a shorter crank arm, I know which way I'll be going (and it most likely won't involve buying over-priced chainrings)...

Ahh... so there is something you like about the "feel" of the chainrings? ;)
Please let us know what you determine I'm very curious to see where you land on this. For me I'm planning to go back to round rings for a couple of weeks to see how that "feels".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A wrote:

To expand on the concept above...I was told that there was a test done that showed no change in knee or hip flexure angles for a 6cm reduction in seat height.

That indicates 2 things to me: First, the body "desires" to operate in a particular condition, and if it can it will do so...and secondly, there's a lot of "slop" that can be taken up with the ankle joint!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
valdlaw wrote:

Ahh... so there is something you like about the "feel" of the chainrings? ;)

Only in that with the Osymetric ring in the speculated "optimum" position (i.e. major axis retarded w.r.t. the pedal by 36 degrees) I tended to like the "feel" of the harder resistance "coming on later" in the downstroke...or, with my leg further extended...when in an aero position.

Which is why I said I think I could probably get the same "feel" from just using shorter cranks ;-)

That's it really...I actually DID NOT like the feel of the Osymetric ring when riding in a bunch at speed...just felt too "jerky" without going up a gear, at which point it made it harder to accelerate to match surges.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another observation. My cadence is much lower with these chainrings, when I'm really mashing a big gear it feels smooth and doesn't feel like I'm going to rip off my knees like it normally does. I usually run a pretty high cadence averaging about 90-95 rpms with a mode of 99. On today's 4.5 hour ride I averaged 84 with a mode of 87. Unless I am mistaken... this could be an advantage as slower cadence utilize more slow twitch fibers which would mean that I'm not fatiguing as much over the course of the ride at a naturally selected cadence.

---------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
joroshiba wrote:
Another observation. My cadence is much lower with these chainrings, when I'm really mashing a big gear it feels smooth and doesn't feel like I'm going to rip off my knees like it normally does. I usually run a pretty high cadence averaging about 90-95 rpms with a mode of 99. On today's 4.5 hour ride I averaged 84 with a mode of 87. Unless I am mistaken... this could be an advantage as slower cadence utilize more slow twitch fibers which would mean that I'm not fatiguing as much over the course of the ride at a naturally selected cadence.

IIRC, fiber type utilization is basically driven by force level with ST fibers recruited first, followed by FT as the force level rises...so, for the same power but grinding at a lower cadence, you're actually going to be recruiting more fast-twitch fibers than you would be otherwise since the average pedal force would need to rise to keep the power constant. Maximum muscle shortening speeds of both types of fibers are way faster than either of those cadences anyway...

In any case, I put the Osymetric ring on my S5 today with it in the Belgian study determined "optimum" position (i.e. retarded by 36 deg from stock). It felt pretty good, and after just a minute or two my legs accommodated and the pedal stroke was fairly smooth.

Then, I went back to my garage and immediately put on a set of 165mm cranks (my normal length is 170mm) with round rings, and raised my saddle and bars by 5mm and moved the saddle/bars back 5mm so that the relationship between my foot in the powerstroke and the other touchpoints was held consistent. I then went out and tried it.

Guess what? As I suspected, the "feel" was almost identical...FWIW...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I'm back at a computer I will look up the studies I had seen which led me to believe otherwise because what you stated was my understanding for a long time as well.

Doval chainrings are cheaper than a new crank set. Or most other chainrings that actually shift for that matter

---------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
joroshiba wrote:
When I'm back at a computer I will look up the studies I had seen which led me to believe otherwise because what you stated was my understanding for a long time as well.

Doval chainrings are cheaper than a new crank set. Or most other chainrings that actually shift for that matter

My biggest issue with non-round rings so far is that they artificially inflate the power reading of most crank-based power meters. That's a non-starter for me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Understood on the power #'s issues.

Coming back with studies about Cadence, basically since cycling isn't force limited slow twitch fibers are plenty strong. But they also have longer contraction times and are therefore more efficient at low cadences, whereas the fast twitch fire quickly so prefer a higher cadence. http://www.umass.edu/locomotion/pdfs/job-2006.pdf http://www.edb.utexas.edu/...)%20152-157,1994.pdf

I know one of the claims Rotor and Osymmetric has made is longer endurance and a slower increase in lactic acid. My observations here could show why that might be, if it is at all. I haven't seen any studies actually look at this effect they have all looked at the power numbers.

---------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
joroshiba wrote:
Understood on the power #'s issues.

Coming back with studies about Cadence, basically since cycling isn't force limited slow twitch fibers are plenty strong. But they also have longer contraction times and are therefore more efficient at low cadences, whereas the fast twitch fire quickly so prefer a higher cadence. http://www.umass.edu/locomotion/pdfs/job-2006.pdf http://www.edb.utexas.edu/...)%20152-157,1994.pdf

I know one of the claims Rotor and Osymmetric has made is longer endurance and a slower increase in lactic acid. My observations here could show why that might be, if it is at all. I haven't seen any studies actually look at this effect they have all looked at the power numbers.

Hmmm...that first study is a mathematical model, and uses as a basis a model (Neptune, et al) that hasn't been shown to be accurate "in the field" (as far as I know) since it ass-u-me-s a constant ankle trajectory (which it's not). To quote Jim Martin "All the theory and modeling in the world will not suppress the way people actually pedal." ;-)

....and the second study just states that if you've got more type 1 fibers, then you're going to be better at endurance sports. I guess I'm not seeing how that second one applies.

I don't think you're understanding what I was getting at previously. Due to the redundant degrees of freedom in the leg mechanism, you have a MUCH greater ability to modify your upper leg muscle shortening speeds and angular joint velocities (the mechanism by which non-round rings are speculated to "work") just by flexing your ankle joint slightly differently than you could possibly do with any reasonable ring ovality. So, if a different joint velocity was more efficient (or even just "preferred"), wouldn't your body have figured out how to move that way already? In other words, that's what the "getting used to" part of switching up the rings entails...it's your body "figuring out" how to keep those upper leg joint velocities at your preferred level by changing up the lower leg movement. This is why one can lower a rider's seat by up to 6cm with no change in the maximum hip and knee angles (per Jim Martin). All of the slop is taken up in the ankle joint.

Basically, if that is true, then going to non-round rings is self-defeating. It's amazing how our bodies can figure out the "best way" when left to their own devices ;-)

Last edited by: Tom A.: Nov 19, 12 9:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:

Basically, if that is true, then going to non-round rings is self-defeating. It's amazing how our bodies can figure out the "best way" when left to their own devices ;-) Or, to quote Jim Martin "All the theory and modeling in the world will not suppress the way people actually pedal." ;-)

Those were the studies that were shown to me and I didn't have enough knowledge to say that my understanding was right and the studies weren't.

The knee and ankle angles stuff makes sense to me, and I wouldn't call it self defeating. It still intimidates, every group ride I've been on since I've got them despite not being any faster: "Man those oval rings really make a difference don't they? You're really cooking it today." If the competition thinks you are faster then they definitely won't be able to keep up, it's all mental!

---------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
joroshiba wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

Basically, if that is true, then going to non-round rings is self-defeating. It's amazing how our bodies can figure out the "best way" when left to their own devices ;-) Or, to quote Jim Martin "All the theory and modeling in the world will not suppress the way people actually pedal." ;-)

Those were the studies that were shown to me and I didn't have enough knowledge to say that my understanding was right and the studies weren't.

The knee and ankle angles stuff makes sense to me, and I wouldn't call it self defeating. It still intimidates, every group ride I've been on since I've got them despite not being any faster: "Man those oval rings really make a difference don't they? You're really cooking it today." If the competition thinks you are faster then they definitely won't be able to keep up, it's all mental!

I found this on the subject at hand today which appears to confirm that non-round rings don't change the activation of the "driving" muscles:

Adaptation of muscle coordination to altered task
mechanics during steady-state cycling

http://www.me.utexas.edu/...Papers/job33(2b).pdf

"It is also interesting to note that all the muscle
coordination adaptation occurred in the transition
muscles, and not the power muscles. These results suggest
that the transition muscles play an important role in
adapting to changing pedaling conditions and "fine-tuning
muscle coordination while the functional role of the
power producing muscles is more elementary and governed
by the task mechanics."

I also found it interesting they observed that the adaptation, even with a fairly large ovality ring, occurred quickly (within 10-20 pedal strokes), which matches what I've felt when riding around and switching back and forth between a round and non-round ring.

I'm gradually coming to the conclusion that a better name for these things would be "Placebo Rings"... :-/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
joroshiba wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

I found this on the subject at hand today which appears to confirm that non-round rings don't change the activation of the "driving" muscles:

Adaptation of muscle coordination to altered task
mechanics during steady-state cycling

http://www.me.utexas.edu/...Papers/job33(2b).pdf

"It is also interesting to note that all the muscle
coordination adaptation occurred in the transition
muscles, and not the power muscles. These results suggest
that the transition muscles play an important role in
adapting to changing pedaling conditions and "fine-tuning
muscle coordination while the functional role of the
power producing muscles is more elementary and governed
by the task mechanics."

I also found it interesting they observed that the adaptation, even with a fairly large ovality ring, occurred quickly (within 10-20 pedal strokes), which matches what I've felt when riding around and switching back and forth between a round and non-round ring.

I'm gradually coming to the conclusion that a better name for these things would be "Placebo Rings"... :-/

Nice find. I note that they also show decreased power applied at the dead spot , and increased at 90 degrees though. (Figure 3) It appears to be in equal proportions which makes sense, essentially it is still a 53t chainring turning at a certain number of rpm. However if the power you can apply at the "dead spot" that was a limiter (as might be the case in lower inertial states such as riding a trainer or climbing a mountain?), then I could see how overall power could go up. Based on this figure it certainly does one thing they claim it does, increase power in the "power phase" and decrease it in the "dead spot." From my understanding of the analysis they are examining to offset and onset of muscle use to see if the total area of use is changed, not how much force is applied in that spot. Given the very nature of the motion of the leg still being the same I cannot see how anyone would really expect this to change very much. I could be mistaken as I really don't know much about biomechanics and my limited understanding of it comes from trying to interpret articles such as these, and having more knowledgeable people correct me.

---------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting topic,

I purchased q-rings in the summer but due to a busy race season and testing season I did not have achance to test them properly.

Having said that I have the following n=2 observations from myself and my gf.

Annectotally they appear to work better for mashers (more peaks and valleys throughout the pedalstroke) like me an my gf.

Love em out of the saddle!

If there are power measurement issues regarding quark etc due to infered as opposed to direct measurement then I would say that you have to look for the best measurement which in this case should be tested as far away from the crank as possible.

Ideally in an erg setting measuring both mechanical out put and metabolic power.
Quote Reply
Re: Doval non-round ring's [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
If there are power measurement issues regarding quark etc due to infered as opposed to direct measurement then I would say that you have to look for the best measurement which in this case should be tested as far away from the crank as possible.

The issue with the Quarq along with the SRM is that they both use a power calculation algorithm that assumes constant angular velocity throughout a pedal stroke, which the non-round rings change. Basically, the torque is being multiplied against a rotational velocity (the average) that is higher than the actual crank velocity while the torque is being applied. Thus, they over-read.

mauricemaher wrote:
Ideally in an erg setting measuring both mechanical out put and metabolic power.

Been there...done that, both indoors as compared to a LeMond PowerPilot and out of doors in comparison to a PT. The inflation is real.
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ic%20lemond;#4201113

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...rch_string=;#4274299

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
mauricemaher wrote:

The issue with the Quarq along with the SRM is that they both use a power calculation algorithm that assumes constant angular velocity throughout a pedal stroke, which the non-round rings change. Basically, the torque is being multiplied against a rotational velocity (the average) that is higher than the actual crank velocity while the torque is being applied. Thus, they over-read.

mauricemaher wrote:

Been there...done that, both indoors as compared to a LeMond PowerPilot and out of doors in comparison to a PT. The inflation is real.
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ic%20lemond;#4201113

Not discounting what you did in erg mode, my point is that analysis of inputs i.e: metabolic power formation (ie: RER, VE, HR FE02 etc..)

is critical to analyzing the benefit of these rings vs standard, I am still on the fence regarding these rings my only opinion is that as a natural "masher" and out of the saddle climber I like 'em!

Will likely do my own analysis to back up my feeling.

One thing I would find interesting is if anyone actually has any data as to how much pedal speed varies throughout the pedal stroke, re round vs non round?

Data in M/S at angles?

Any data? I am interested because not only is this important to our discussion, but is important to other topics re cadence/force/crank length etc.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...rch_string=;#4274299
Quote Reply

Prev Next