Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Finally, Limbaugh screws himself [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barry, why do you need a rating system here? Both are awful things to call a woman. Why can't you just say that?

Re: Finally, Limbaugh screws himself [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tim, I'm only engaging you on this because of my choices, you are the most reasonable.

Keep in mind, Maher caught a lot of flak for calling Palin a cunt, and Maher has been fired before for some of the stuff he has said on his show. So it's not like he just gets a free pass and Limbaugh doesn't.

Consider if a radio/tv personality calls Bush an inbred dumb redneck.
Now consider if one calls him an inbred dumb redneck because he's from Teaxs and drives a pickup truck.

Both are clearly using deragtory inappropriate language to describe Bush, but can you see how one might be considered more offensive to pickup driving Teaxans than the other?

Sphere hints at this as well in his posts. Is one "worse" than the other? Maybe not. But can you not see how one would generate a much larger reaction than the other. As I said, I really don't think the left has *that* much control over who advertises on Limbaugh's show. What Limbaugh said was stupid and it pissed off a lot of people.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Finally, Limbaugh screws himself [theforge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agreed - and I also think Catholic Hospitals should also clearly position themselves as Catholic - and not just in name, but also meaning they do not provide patients with healthcare that meets established medical standards
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't read everything, I've been on the beach, but for the life of me I cannot think of any reason for him to call her what he did and his apology says "I'm sorry but it's all the left's fault". How many people would accept that as an apology if their kids said that to them?

If he didn't have advertisers jumping ship he wouldn't have backed down. Seems like he's the prostitute now.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Finally, Limbaugh screws himself [xtremrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtremrun wrote:
theforge wrote:
But in the end, this is a non-issue serving as a distraction driven by liberals who cannot defend a single thing this failure of a president has done.

http://www.politifact.com/...ulings/promise-kept/

Here is a little short list but don't let facts get in the way of your partisan talking point. You might not like what he has accomplished but he has accomplished quite a bit.

I'm sorry, I don't make the habit of confusing more spending or liberal utopian policies that have done little to pull us out of this mess we are in with success. And if you want to start quoting politifact, how about you include both sides of the coin.

http://www.politifact.com/...ings/promise-broken/

But here are a few of my own that I guage presidential success with.

1. That he would end the recession, are you better off than you were when he was elected.
2. Unemployment went up under his watch and went passed the benchmark he promised it wouldn't.
3. Most jobs created under his watch were gov't ones.
4. Wouldn't have lobbyist working in his admin.

I can keep going. But your look a little to bloodied to continue.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Finally, Limbaugh screws himself [Mojozenmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mojozenmaster wrote:
agreed - and I also think Catholic Hospitals should also clearly position themselves as Catholic - and not just in name, but also meaning they do not provide patients with healthcare that meets established medical standards

I hope you were trying to be funny (fail). Because that wasn't what I meant and you know it. When I said a STANDARD level of care, I meant that anybody who goes to the hospital that cannot pay would received a standard level of basic care and shouldn't be harrassed the rest of their life for getting that service. There is no doubt the system needs fixing, I just think the liberal utopian vision is an amputation when a little good medicine is all that is needed.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a friend who works for a very large Catholic hospital and their insurance covers her birth control.

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Finally, Limbaugh screws himself [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JenSw wrote:
I haven't read everything, I've been on the beach, but for the life of me I cannot think of any reason for him to call her what he did and his apology says "I'm sorry but it's all the left's fault". How many people would accept that as an apology if their kids said that to them?

If he didn't have advertisers jumping ship he wouldn't have backed down. Seems like he's the prostitute now.

But aren't we all of the price is right?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe I am a male whore as I had a vasectomy that my insurance covered. I did this for birth control and have had sex mutiple times so I am a male slut, I am so ashamed!

It's not how you start, it's how you finish
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not trying to be funny - but if a hospital decides to provide or not provide medical procedures and products not based on medical science and accepted practices - but on their beliefs - - - then they need to advertise and position themselves as such.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I listened to the whole thing and he did not say "but it's all the left's fault."

Quote | Reply
"I don't expect -- and I know you don't, either -- morality or intellectual honesty from the left. They've demonstrated over and over a willingness to say or do anything to advance their agenda. It's what they do. It's what we fight against here every day. But this is the mistake I made. In fighting them on this issue last week, I became like them.

Against my own instincts, against my own knowledge, against everything I know to be right and wrong I descended to their level when I used those two words to describe Sandra Fluke."

To me that says "Mom, I'm really sorry I hit my sister. I didn't mean to. But she started it! She's a meany"

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He framed this debate by labeling her a leftist activist, then when he got himself in trouble he "apologized" by saying he let himself stoop to the level of leftists. So his apology was really nothing more than him saying he's sorry he stooped to her level.

But what did you expect, really. It's Rush Limbaugh we're talking about here. He'll suffer from this like Joe Wilson suffered from calling the president a liar during the SOTU address. Which is to say, not at all. That sort of mentality will always find an audience that at a minimum tolerates it, and at worse encourages it.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Finally, Limbaugh screws himself [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He has a lot of advertisers jumping ship right now. Not sure how much impact it will have but he is groveling as much as he knows how right now. Can afford to lose that advertising revenue!

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JenSw wrote:

I don't care who you are, that's a good line. lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
He framed this debate by labeling her a leftist activist, then when he got himself in trouble he "apologized" by saying he let himself stoop to the level of leftists. So his apology was really nothing more than him saying he's sorry he stooped to her level.

But what did you expect, really. It's Rush Limbaugh we're talking about here. He'll suffer from this like Joe Wilson suffered from calling the president a liar during the SOTU address. Which is to say, not at all. That sort of mentality will always find an audience that at a minimum tolerates it, and at worse encourages it.

I a curious which mentality you are referring to with Wilson? The mentality of truth or just that he spoke out at an inconvenient time?

~
"You lie!" The Prophet Joe Wilson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is quite a bit different than what you said.

Quote | Reply
Ha! Our biases are showing.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Covered it in the last post. Both bad?.....eh, I don't really care about words as much as the intention, which is why I imagine the bigger analogy that the "the world is black or white" righties didn't seem to get. If women don't like it, then fine.

Did you get my explanation as to why advertisers ( not me .... Not the left, but advertisers) pulled from one but not the other? Or are you going to stick to your guns? Bad words are bad words and slut should be treated the same as jerk, regardless of (get this) context.

EDIT: Personally I don't really care that he called her a slut and a whore. It only does harm to himself.........as evidenced by the advertisements that have been pulled. I know you like his show, but it really is partisan hackery.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Last edited by: BarryP: Mar 5, 12 20:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
he's married, so his wife may have an influence in this episode.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:
I don't suppport that kind of language and he is eating appropriate crap for it.

Interesting on how that whole hearing went down though, right?

Was the thing with Ms. Fluke a formal hearing of the House or Representatives or a news conference?

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Re: Finally, Limbaugh screws himself [Rodred] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wilson spoke the truth as he perceived it--which is to say, he voiced an opinion--in a way that is unbefitting a member of Congress and disrespectful to the office of the presidency. If that is to be viewed as an acceptable action, as you seem to suggest, we'd have similar outbursts by numerous Congressmen at every SOTU address.

I can't imagine you'd be supportive of that level of decorum under a Republican president.

Quote Reply
Re: Finally, Limbaugh screws himself [CruseVegas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The minority party can't hold official Congressional hearings. I believe they're called forums, or something to that effect, when conducted by the minority.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.thedailybeast.com/...-to-follow-suit.html

"I really wish you would post more often. You always have some good stuff to say. I copied it below just in case someone missed it." BarryP to Chainpin on 10/21/06

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mojozenmaster wrote:
. . . and Catholic Hospitals should then stop receiving funds from State and Federal governments - and end their participation with programs such as Medicare and Medicaid - - - then that argument would hold water.

Probably they'll end their participation or they'll end up being sold -- if possible, though the nature of the income and outgo of most Catholic hospitals doesn't make them attractive for sales -- to a group that doesn't have a moral issue of conscience with the whole contraception scheme. Unfortunately, many people mistakenly believe the American bishops and, by extension, the Catholic Church in America, are fooling around or "bluffing."

They're really not, and if anybody pushing for this whole mandatory contraception scheme of the Obama administration would take a few minutes to read Loyola and what he says about the saving of souls versus the saving of the corpus they'd see that, above all else, the salvation of the soul comes way before the salvation of the body to those fellows (the bishops). I'd say that the possible loss to the public in America of a $98 billion Catholic healthcare system matters very little to them if it's a question of choosing between salvation and the frankly trivial work done to address the health of a person's body. Equally unfortunately, all the 'smart folks' around here can't see that the bishops look at this contraception thing as participating in an intrinsic, and possibly mortal, sin.

Now, I don't happen to agree with that viewpoint but it is what it is and the Church as an institution has been around for 2,000 years so who am I to presume to dictate to it what it should and should not believe as regards matters of the human soul, if such a thing indeed exists? What matters in all this is just what steps the Church will take to not have to participate in what it deems a sin, and that may mean not only the loss of Catholic hospitals, healthcare systems (and, if necessary, Sr. Carol Keehan -- head of the Catholic Health Association -- will be brought to heel and will submit to Church authority or she'll find herself no longer head of much of anything), a myriad of Catholic charities and even Catholic universities and schools around the country could close over this mandate, that's how serious the leaders of the Church are taking things.

Also, I'm still struggling to understand just how the government has the power to mandate any sort of health care coverage, or most anything else, for that matter? That one's a mystery to me.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Last edited by: big kahuna: Mar 5, 12 16:55
Quote Reply

Prev Next