Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [jjabr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Range Rover" that's so funny, there are probably people on this thread whose houses cost less than a new range rover.

jjabr wrote:
Range Rover or LR4. I have the LR4 but my buddy has the RR. All the seats fold flat in the back flush against the ground, or you can get tow-hitch-mounted bike racks for the back. The interior is large enough that you can toss your bike back there and not worry about it being easily stolen.

I prefer the LR4 personally because of the clamshell rear hatch. You have the top 2/3 of the hatch open upwards and the bottom opens like the tailgate on a pickup truck. Makes for an extremely convenient place to sit down and put on your cycling shoes and gear up for a good ride. Or to change to running shoes while you're stashing your bike in the back for a brick.

If you're into hiking and outdoorsy stuff aside from tri, plenty of space for all your gear in the back and the off road capabilities of either truck are completely unmatched. Great for horrible weather. In fact, last year during the snowstorms I was the only one able to get into the office for work while everyone else had to stay home.

And they seat 7.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [puffsail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
'All road' my ass, this is for poseurs

puffsail wrote:
2013 Audi Allroad. They just started remaking them...

http://models.audiusa.com/allroad
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [JChapATX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So bentleys and aston martins are shit?

JChapATX wrote:
Japanese cars dont need repairs. British cars are shit. German new cars have repairs paid for. Old ones are dice.

American cars have aaa for a reason.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [Quinner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah? Let me guess you drive a prius with like 5 different mdot magnets plastered all over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally agree-I got a Sienna too and I just roll my bike into the back, a quick bungee cord around the headrest and toptube to keep it upright and you are done. I know its a minivan but you can't argue the convenience.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [Saundo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mazda MPV maybe? Or VW Jetta wagon.

http://www.squidoo.com/cheap-road-bikes2
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [beanmj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2012 Toyota Sienna SE mini van. Easily fit 3 bikes upright and with all 3 doors being powered and XM radio and blue tooth for easy talk and drive or playing your music from any Bluetooth device is sweet. Not to mention the sleek aero look it has, love mine!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on your perspective. The OPer was asking about maintenance costs and he wanted a used car for under 10k that's good for triathletes. So, for this thread, those vehicles don't really fit. Likewise, jags and Land rovers have a reputation for being maintenance intensive. Hence my comment. Sorry if you disagree.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Hilly Flats Racing

Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Minivan is the most practical. When buying a utility vehicle, if you dont need AWD, anything else is a sacrifice. My 2007 Honda gets 27mpg on the fwy and i put family of four in it and my bike rides upright. If i take lots of stuff, i put on my Thule hitchrack, and Yakima roofrack, Rocketbox, surfrack, and can load up a huge cooler and a ton of stuff, and my big greyhound/mastiff dog, and enjoy max comfort. But, it's too big to commute in.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
puffsail wrote:
Oh yeah? Let me guess you drive a prius with like 5 different mdot magnets plastered all over it.

The back of a prius is all plastic. You will need to apply the magnets to the side, and this lowers gas mileage and the number of eyes looking at your 140.6 magnet.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [JChapATX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JChapATX wrote:
Honda Element. Perfect for bikes. Roll right in without taking wheels off. The only bike that can't fit standing up with the wheel off is my 29er. Road and tri bikes are perfect fits. Don't need to worr about it getting dirty and if you live in the mountains or where it snows and you need 4x4, it's got it.
+1
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [apexendurance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have to go with a Ford Fusion. I have a 2006 fully loaded and have had NO problems with it. Now that I've said that it may change. Back seats come down and fits a bike, wetsuit and tennis shoes very easily!
Last edited by: ffmedck: Feb 24, 12 14:30
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [beanmj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't the best car for a triathlete be a broken one?
That way you would have to ride your bike everywhere
Just sayin :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isn't the average triathlete's salary like $125k+ or something? I think I read that somewhere. It's an expensive sport. I assumed if people were spending $10k+ on a bike and wheels (and coaches, gym memberships, IM entry fees, etc.), they were fairly well off.

Though I did see someone packing a new Speed Concept 9.9 with Firecrest Zipps into the trunk of their mid-90s Taurus the other day...

Quinner wrote:
"Range Rover" that's so funny, there are probably people on this thread whose houses cost less than a new range rover.

jjabr wrote:
Range Rover or LR4. I have the LR4 but my buddy has the RR. All the seats fold flat in the back flush against the ground, or you can get tow-hitch-mounted bike racks for the back. The interior is large enough that you can toss your bike back there and not worry about it being easily stolen.

I prefer the LR4 personally because of the clamshell rear hatch. You have the top 2/3 of the hatch open upwards and the bottom opens like the tailgate on a pickup truck. Makes for an extremely convenient place to sit down and put on your cycling shoes and gear up for a good ride. Or to change to running shoes while you're stashing your bike in the back for a brick.

If you're into hiking and outdoorsy stuff aside from tri, plenty of space for all your gear in the back and the off road capabilities of either truck are completely unmatched. Great for horrible weather. In fact, last year during the snowstorms I was the only one able to get into the office for work while everyone else had to stay home.

And they seat 7.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [sak35] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1

BUY AMERICAN.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [severinj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I am the only one here who likes the mazda protege5.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree...I have an 09 Outback, it's got 65k miles already and has been flawless. I fold the seats down and can fit two full bike in laying down without taking the wheels off.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [jjabr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you earn 125k then your whole net annual income is close to the cost of a landrover. I could afford one if I really wanted to, I just thought it amusing to recommend one for chucking a bike in the back.

jjabr wrote:
Isn't the average triathlete's salary like $125k+ or something? I think I read that somewhere. It's an expensive sport. I assumed if people were spending $10k+ on a bike and wheels (and coaches, gym memberships, IM entry fees, etc.), they were fairly well off.

Though I did see someone packing a new Speed Concept 9.9 with Firecrest Zipps into the trunk of their mid-90s Taurus the other day...

Quinner wrote:

jjabr wrote:

And they seat 7.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
puffsail wrote:

No I have a basic Audi a4 and an older Subaru outback. I like the old all road because it's the old Audi design, the new Audi designs are too poseur with all the chrome and grills on them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Honda Element isn't pretty but it's hard to beat: 5 bikes upright inside, no need to lower bike seats or remove wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [jsivvy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jsivvy wrote:
My current model (B8) Audi S4 Avant with roof racks. Fast, reasonable gas consumption, and heaps of room. Unfortunately you can't buy it in the US!

Yeah major crime they don't offer the avant as broadly across their line as they used to. Frankly I want a s4 avant with Quattro and tdi and I refuse to give VAG any more of my money until they make one for me :)

By the looks of it subaru may have a diesel all wheel drive wagon before Audi does.

Btw jetta sport wagen tdis can be had cheaper than 25,000 used. Ours was less than that brand new with the roof and heated seats....just have to talk to a dealer where they are not as popular. Our local guy said he'd throw in floor mats but would budge on full sticker for the car :(
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [MarvinTPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love mine. They stopped producing them after the 2011 model. It might be possible to pick up a new one still but if you find one it will be expensive. Used ones don't depreciate in value as quickly as other cars. I'd still buy another one though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [Insidious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I considered the 3.0 TDI A4 avant, but was won over by the engine in the S4. Bit sad you have such crap options in the US.

We also have a golf TDI, it's an incredible car. Would definitely recommend it. I don't think it actually uses fuel!

Quote | Reply
Quinner wrote:
So bentleys and aston martins are shit?

JChapATX wrote:
Japanese cars dont need repairs. British cars are shit. German new cars have repairs paid for. Old ones are dice.

American cars have aaa for a reason.

The bentley is German (VW underpinnings and engine), Aston is owned by Indian's. Neither is British at its heart.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [Insidious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
???

Why do you want an S4 if you also "want" a diesel? 'Kinda defeats the purpose of the S4!

Not the car for me by a mile, but I do own one (for the Mrs.) ;-) Audi wagons are great!

Prev Next