Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [severinj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doh i didn't see you post this before i went off about my sportwagen

look for a used audi wagon like an early 00's A6...i see a bunch on ebay motors for about $7k that look to be in pretty good condition tons of room reliable german cars
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [CapnMols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about the repair costs of the foreign cars? Is it a big risk?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Japanese cars dont need repairs. British cars are shit. German new cars have repairs paid for. Old ones are dice.

American cars have aaa for a reason.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Hilly Flats Racing

Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [JChapATX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beautiful summary.

Any thoughts on a 2002 VW golf?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope. Sorry.

Hilly Flats Racing

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JChapATX wrote:
Japanese cars dont need repairs. British cars are shit. German new cars have repairs paid for. Old ones are dice.

Really with this? Shall we go into people's perceptions of attorneys then?

Quote | Reply
Subaru Outback. Comfortable ride, good storage space and the AWD is awesome.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JChapATX wrote:

And your two-to-five-word summary of Korean cars, perchance?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't care about looks, the Ford Transit offers a huge cargo area and you could easily transport your bikes upright.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure. Please specify stereotypes of attorneys by practice area and geographics.

Hilly Flats Racing

Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [aftereffector] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If its a Subaru - hard to beat. But not under 10k probably.

Hilly Flats Racing

Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just get a used Dodge Grand Caravan....cheap,reliable and with the seats folded down....enough space for all your gear, and room to sleep also.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [AnthonyS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought this was a continuation of an old thread hehe...

+1 on Subie. I have the Tribeca. Plenty of room, and a beast in all conditions. Subie's AWD is awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 for the Honda Element. Had mine for 8 years - not a single problem w/almost 100K. Roll two bikes in with only one back bike seat up. Don't have to remove wheels. Throw your wetsuit or sweaty gear in the back w/o worry of getting carpet wet. Seats are comfortable and clean easy. A Triathletes DREAM!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
everymantri.com does regular puff pieces about what car is best. If you want to find out that everything is the best car, read their stroke jobs, errr, reviews.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find that my Ferrari F430 works out really well and matches perfectly with my carbon frame and wheels decals. I even had a custom carbon/titanium bike mount made for it. Not to mention its perfect for those on a tight budget.

Truly,

"Fred"

@GrizzlyBaird | Strava | Website
My Supporters: QT2 Systems | The Olympic Club | First Endurance | Rudy Project | BlueSeventy | NormaTec
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Yellow Dodge Caliber
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Without any doubt, Mercedes GL450
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [GrizzlyBaird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SUPER Helpful! Miss you out here, buddy. You rolling in it from your investment banking gig ;) ?
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [bibendum752] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love my Ford Edge. Good cargo room, reasonably priced, roof rack for my Thule...and the new ones (2011 and up) are really awesome. They sound great, drive great etc. I bought mine coming out of a Mercedes ML320 and I've got to say it made me feel stupid for being willing to spend so much more on a Mercedes or BMW. It's worth a look. For the record, a test drove the X5, the ML, the Honda Crosstour, the Toyota Venza, the VW line. In the end, the Ford UNEXPECTEDLY grabbed my attention. Also nice to be able to buy American - never really cared but now....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I am thinking hard about VW. Any experiences with high mileage VW's? Expensive repairs or standard old car maintenance?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sold my truck and bought a used 2001 Camry 5 years ago.

Pros: Very practical, good gas mileage, nice ride especially on long trips, reliable, cops ignore me, big trunk if i remove my wheels my expensive bike fits easily in the trunk. I no longer worry about leaving my bike in my vehicle. This is huge for me because I do brick workouts leaving my car parked at trail heads (notorious place for break ins), .

Cons: Cool factor is very low, not very sporty, horrible if you have to drive off road
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
severinj wrote:
Beautiful summary.

Any thoughts on a 2002 VW golf?

Yes, should work very well for a tri car. I've got a 2001 GTI, and with the seats down have no problems fitting 2+ bikes in the back. If they've got roof racks, even more space in the back for gear.

Hoka One One - Field Service Rep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can get over any potential pride issues, I think one of these (Toyota Sienna) in AWD is tough to beat. Waaay more versatile and useful than any "SUV" on the market:

I have an Element and love it. They have been discontinued, but I'm sure you could get a good one used. I still get lots of comments (positive) about that car. Whenever I'm at the velodrome and I load or unload my bike someone makes a jealous comment. (I'm over 6'4" and I can just roll my bike in the back without taking off wheels or messing with the saddle and the bike rides upright.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We've had great luck with all our VW's/ Audi's (03 Golf 122K, 03 Passat 135K, 01 A4 133K). All since gone for newer and better but they were super reliable. We had to change the oil pump in the golf but other than that just terrific. Would recommend to anyone. Yes repairs for certain parts can be more than Japanese or American cars but from our experience this happened so few and far between. A Golf would be a perfect choice.
Quote Reply

Prev Next