Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can I use 650c road wheels on my Mtn/Commuter bike?
Quote | Reply
I would like to lighten up my mtn/commuter bike by using road 650c wheels with V-brakes,will it work?

Connie/
Quote Reply
Re: Can I use 650c road wheels on my Mtn/Commuter bike? [Constantine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mountainbike wheels and 650 wheels are different diameters. If you brakes have enough adjustment to hit the rims their is no reason not too.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Can I use 650c road wheels on my Mtn/Commuter bike? [Constantine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes,

Done it, and it does on my bike.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
I used a Specialized Rockhopper 26" with mountain wheels, 26"commuter wheels, 650C cross wheels, mavic cxp 33 road wheels and zipp 404s as a time trialer. Just move your pads up and down. Should be no problem. Brakes have been shorty 4s and el cheapos.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I use 650c road wheels on my Mtn/Commuter bike? [MEVSCLCK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your brakes have enough travel to hit the track on 700C wheels? What brand/model are they?

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Can I use 650c road wheels on my Mtn/Commuter bike? [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
   He's probably talking all 650c stuff. Paul Components makes one that works well for 26" to 700c, the Moto BMX. Onza made a brake at one time (H.O.?) that has the adjustment, but is prone to cracking. I set up the girlfriend's 26" MTB with those two so that she could run 700c for cyclocross. Two sets of Paul's would be preferred, but at >100 bucks, we stayed with something I had in a drawer as much as possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I use 650c road wheels on my Mtn/Commuter bike? [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bet you're right when I read road wheels I think 700 C.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timely question, just this morning on my commute to work was thinking of converting my old Diamond Back to a cross bike. This could be a fun exercise in collecting random bits and pieces from the classifieds...
Quote Reply
Re: Can I use 650c road wheels on my Mtn/Commuter bike? [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's my 700c GT Zaskar commuter bike from a few years ago. I used all spare parts from the garage and had to make extenders for the rear brake:

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Can I use 650c road wheels on my Mtn/Commuter bike? [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
axle width a issue? Mtn vs. Road?

Connie/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, yes all 650C or 26".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I have a 130mm hub, I just squeeze it. Not as much of an issue on a cro-mo or Aluminum. Have not tried it on carbon, but don't think it would be a problem. Built some pretty light, but expensive 650C wheels w/Mavic CXP33s laced to XTR hubs to fit the 135mm spacing that work awesome. Best 20K TT on the rockhopper with those wheels was 24.2mph.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I use 650c road wheels on my Mtn/Commuter bike? [MEVSCLCK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MEVSCLCK wrote:
Best 20K TT on the rockhopper with those wheels was 24.2mph.

ouch! I don't think that's an ST approved set-up. Expect Jackmott led abuse to ensue...
Quote Reply
Re: Can I use 650c road wheels on my Mtn/Commuter bike? [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah yes. That setup proved to me that it is the legs not the hardware that ultimately get it done. I have not been able to muster a huge improvement on my tri bike, but I am not spending the time in the saddle that I used to since the transition from TT to triathlon.
Quote Reply