New Joule with GPS
Quote | Reply
Ventura just posted this pic of the new Joule with GPS

http://yfrog.com/h3qd4sjj
Quote Reply
Re: New Joule with GPS [running2far] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool.

Look at the wheel he posted just on top of that.

Nice!

Eli Curt

I'm Professionally Amateur. Are you? Become an ambassador today!
Chimps in Training!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want!

Any word on release date?

Edit: As much as I want simply because I'm a nerd, maybe they should consider fixing the first one before moving on to the second version. I still have issues with mine, as much as I love it, and just last night was trying to download workout files and for whatever reason decided it didnt want to "talk" to my computer. Incredibly frustrating. Nevermind how I'm still using a beta version of poweragent right now since they dont have official support for manual zeroing a quarq yet.

"One Line Robert"
Last edited by: wsrobert: Jun 14, 11 13:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Follow Ray Maker (of Ray's mailbag/DCRainmaker)---he tweeted price of $169 non-GPS and $260 GPS unit and wireless pro hub from $799.... Seems he's out for a ride with them right now......very interested to read what he has to say!
Quote Reply
Re: New Joule with GPS [Skippy74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. This will make the current Joule 2.0 all but worthless in terms of resale value! Great news though.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: New Joule with GPS [Skippy74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How would the current Joule be $400+ yet the new one with GPS be $260?

Ride Scoozy Electric Bicycles
http://www.RideScoozy.com
Quote Reply
Re: New Joule with GPS [msuguy512] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
msuguy512 wrote:

It probably has less features/memory. Wanna bet it's darned close feature-wise to a Garmin Edge 500?

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New Joule with GPS [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow glad that i bought the joule when it came out, oh well, I really wish they would finish updating and correcting mine first also

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Re: New Joule with GPS [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
velonews image:

Ride Scoozy Electric Bicycles
http://www.RideScoozy.com
Quote Reply
Re: New Joule with GPS [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wsrobert wrote:
maybe they should consider fixing the first one before moving on to the second version. I still have issues with mine.

x2 My Joule 2.0 still returns distances that are way off.
Quote Reply
Re: New Joule with GPS [Eileen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
are you using a separate speed sensor or the speed data from the hub? The hub data always seems to be 2% high...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
msuguy512 wrote:

bundled prices are a lot lower. Now i know why saris was looking to slash prices on Joule 2.0 and powertap ANT+ hubs
Quote Reply
Re: New Joule with GPS [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My JOULE is a complete POS! All kinds of incorrect data! SARIS has not been helpful! All you have to do is a search and find the ongoing problems with JOULE that still have not been resolved. IMO WAIT for this to be out a while before you buy. Just saying.

Tim,
Quote Reply
Re: New Joule with GPS [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Separate speed sensor, purchased from CycleOps at the same time I purchased the Joule. Not using the PowerTap hub. I've got it paired with an SRM. It reads about 3% high, but it's not always consistently 3%. Sometimes closer to 5%. Changing the wheel circumference does no good. I've got updated firmware. Am not the only one with this problem (there are other posts on ST about the same issue), but as far as I know, they're not working on a fix, or if they are, it's taking them an awfully long time to develop one. Oddly, the speed reading seems correct.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They save money by beta testing on customers. And sometimes they don't even deliver a final, working product before retiring it.
Quote Reply
Re: New Joule with GPS [Eileen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eileen wrote:
Separate speed sensor, purchased from CycleOps at the same time I purchased the Joule. Not using the PowerTap hub. I've got it paired with an SRM. It reads about 3% high, but it's not always consistently 3%. Sometimes closer to 5%. Changing the wheel circumference does no good. I've got updated firmware. Am not the only one with this problem (there are other posts on ST about the same issue), but as far as I know, they're not working on a fix, or if they are, it's taking them an awfully long time to develop one. Oddly, the speed reading seems correct.

yikes, that really sucks.

I don't think i've noticed any issues with mine, but i've probably just cursed myself. FWIW, i bought mine for the equivalent of $160 new, so i really can't complain that much. Though the joystick is a pain to use while riding...
Quote Reply
Re: New Joule with GPS [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
msuguy512 wrote:

It probably has less features/memory. Wanna bet it's darned close feature-wise to a Garmin Edge 500?

It's the same feature-wise as the previous Joule based on what I got yesterday (as always, the devil is in the itty-bitty-tiny-details that folks like you and I care about - but I didn't get to take home the unit).

The price is just the blunt realization that at $400 it's simply not competitive to other devices. And yeah, they are absolutely knowingly targetting the Edge 500.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: New Joule with GPS [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:
It's the same feature-wise as the previous Joule based on what I got yesterday (as always, the devil is in the itty-bitty-tiny-details that folks like you and I care about - but I didn't get to take home the unit).

Downloading will also be by USB ?

Ale Martinez
www.amtriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: New Joule with GPS [Ale Martinez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ale Martinez wrote:
dcrainmaker wrote:

Downloading will also be by USB ?

Correct, micro USB (used to be Mini-USB). The change was made primraily because the 'industry standards' say that mobile devices should be micro vs mini (phones, the like). Additionally, a very small part was that it it was a smaller form factor.

A year ago I would have said micro was a pain, but I'm seeing more and more devices using it now that I've got plenty of both cable types lying around.

-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is there any decent mapping?
Quote Reply
Re: New Joule with GPS [Zulu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zulu wrote:
is there any decent mapping?

On the device it's simply breadcrumb - just like the Edge 500.

On the web it's using the MapMyRide backend engine, with much of that being outsourced to them for display of routes/etc...

-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thank you - so for the slower members of slowtwitch (like me) the primary difference at this point between the original and new is touch screen and bread crumb?...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:

The price is just the blunt realization that at $400 it's simply not competitive to other devices. And yeah, they are absolutely knowingly targetting the Edge 500.

Ray,
One of the things I've come to like about my Joule 2.0 display is that for each of the data fields in the main display (Watts, for example) there are 2 additional related detail fields down below (avg and max watts, in my case). Use the joystick to switch focus to a different field in the main display and the detail fields change as well. As a way of both maintaining display context while also getting additional detail on an area of interest, I've come to prefer this approach over the 'separate pages of fields' approach that Garmin used on the 705 (and I assume they still do that on the 500 and 800). What I have been less a fan of is the joystick on the Joule - getting the force and direction exactly right on the first try has been a bit problematic; using touch to directly select the main field I want more detail on would make this interaction quicker and more accurate. Do the new Joule displays retain this sort of 'main + detail' fields approach?

Thanks,
Chris
Quote Reply
Re: New Joule with GPS [Zulu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zulu wrote:
thank you - so for the slower members of slowtwitch (like me) the primary difference at this point between the original and new is touch screen and bread crumb?...

It's not a touch screen unit.

The primary difference would be the smaller unit size, and the fact that it doesn't look ugly. ;)

Technically speaking, yes, GPS would be the major difference here.

-
Quote Reply
Re: New Joule with GPS [chrisesposito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisesposito wrote:
dcrainmaker wrote:

Do the new Joule displays retain this sort of 'main + detail' fields approach?

Thanks,
Chris

Yes, the new units retain the main + detail approach.

-
Quote Reply

Prev Next