Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 10K equivalent of a 60:00 40K TT? [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Here's a little help for you guys:
29:05 - 10k US masters record, set by 42-year old former Olympian
47:35 - 40k US masters record
47:35 wasn't at sea level. It was set at 1900 m.
Quote Reply
Re: 10K equivalent of a 60:00 40K TT? [bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bonesbrigade wrote:
Yeah, I think in general, too many people dismiss the 60min. 40k as being easy.
I don't remember anyone in that other thread who dismissed 40K in an hour as being easy. My argument (and the arguments of others) was that it didn't take a superman to do it -- that it was attainable by normal athletes with a modicum of talent and anal retentive attention to details.
Quote Reply
Re: 10K equivalent of a 60:00 40K TT? [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking the other day that breaking 1 hour for 15K was about the same "effort" as breaking 1-hour for 40K TT. For me at least.

Dave in VA
Quote Reply
Re: 10K equivalent of a 60:00 40K TT? [bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bonesbrigade wrote:
jackmott wrote:
drastically different story on a road bike!

bonesbrigade wrote:

I'd be interested to know how many people think they can do it on a road bike - this may weed out a lot of folks.

I envy your position ML!

Yeah, this has got me thinking lately about road vs. TT bike, and how I used to take for granted 40km/h speed. I'm only road racing this year, so I've been doing threshold workouts once or twice per week on a closed 2km road loop with average pavement. Yesterday on my 2x20 minute workout, I could only manage approx. 39km/h for each set. Of course I know there is a major difference between positions and bikes, but it just looks strange to see that number for the amount of effort put out!

I did a Merckx-position training ride yesterday on my fixie, probably averaged around 22-23 mph with some big hills for 16 miles. So painful! On my tt bike I was able to average 28 mph over 8 miles without fancy wheels/helmet over the same section, but I was in better shape.

A good low aero position is good for a few mph, though I think if you ride in the most aero position on the road bike (hands narrow together on the tops) you can almost get there assuming you have a long and low road position. Once I figure out the issue with my shifters I'll take my new road bike out and try the same course with just the standard bar + then with ITU shorty bars. Granted I don't have a powermeter so all I can do is time and HR, but it might say something.
Quote Reply
Re: 10K equivalent of a 60:00 40K TT? [gatovolador] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gatovolador wrote:
though I think if you ride in the most aero position on the road bike (hands narrow together on the tops) you can almost get there assuming you have a long and low road position.

Imma keep repeating this for months:

Chris boardman on an eddy merckx bike, in an optimal position - FIVE MPH SLOWER than a TT bike

of course part of that was wheel and frame as well. so if your road bike is an S3 and you run aero wheels, you might trim it down to 2 or 3 MPH difference =)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: 10K equivalent of a 60:00 40K TT? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This strikes me as unlikely. I can run a 42 10k in a triathlon, and I'm a stronger cyclist than a runner judging by where my splits rank.
Quote Reply
Re: 10K equivalent of a 60:00 40K TT? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
gatovolador wrote:

though I think if you ride in the most aero position on the road bike (hands narrow together on the tops) you can almost get there assuming you have a long and low road position.

Imma keep repeating this for months:

Chris boardman on an eddy merckx bike, in an optimal position - FIVE MPH SLOWER than a TT bike

of course part of that was wheel and frame as well. so if your road bike is an S3 and you run aero wheels, you might trim it down to 2 or 3 MPH difference =)
Didn't he break the Merckx record (on a Merckx bike) going 7km/h slower, rather than 5mph? Not a huge, huge difference, but still significant.
Quote Reply
Re: 10K equivalent of a 60:00 40K TT? [Quantum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: 10K equivalent of a 60:00 40K TT? [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DC Pattie wrote:
I was thinking the other day that breaking 1 hour for 15K was about the same "effort" as breaking 1-hour for 40K TT. For me at least.

Dave in VA

x2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
I think one of us is just rounding differently
Fair enough... my memory's probably spotty anyways. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree, but the merckx position in the drops is less aero than hands on the tops or wrist resting on the tops, which is basically like shorty aerobars.
Quote Reply
Re: 10K equivalent of a 60:00 40K TT? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would have to be well at least under 33 minutes for men. I mean 35 minutes is not a fast time. It would not even score points at any level for cross country in college not even D3 sorry but true. i ran at a small D1 school and even back in the 70's you needed to be in 31-32 minute range to be among the scoring. There was a thread here is a 3 hour marathon comparable to the 1 hour TT. Now having run much faster than 35 even in tris and only broken 1 hour a few times it is hard for me to say but I think the run is just easier at 35 minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: 10K equivalent of a 60:00 40K TT? [Scot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and 1 hour TT doesn't even get you on the podium in a Cat 5 40k tt

Scot wrote:
It would have to be well at least under 33 minutes for men. I mean 35 minutes is not a fast time. It would not even score points at any level for cross country in college not even D3 sorry but true. i ran at a small D1 school and even back in the 70's you needed to be in 31-32 minute range to be among the scoring. There was a thread here is a 3 hour marathon comparable to the 1 hour TT. Now having run much faster than 35 even in tris and only broken 1 hour a few times it is hard for me to say but I think the run is just easier at 35 minutes.

Quote Reply
Re: 10K equivalent of a 60:00 40K TT? [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
female or male ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
and 1 hour TT doesn't even get you on the podium in a Cat 5 40k tt

Scot wrote:

I got 2nd in a Cat 5 TT last year with a 1:01:4x (smaller event, hot and windy August day in Arizona)....then about a month later finished 9th at state champs with a 1:00:53 on the same course (Cat 5 winner went 54:xx...fml).

So it is possible to podium with times around 1:00. I'm hoping to get a little faster than that this year though. With a complete focus on bike racing, I'm shooting to hit 57-58 by AZ state champs this year in September, which will still probably put me off the podium.
Quote Reply
Re: 10K equivalent of a 60:00 40K TT? [Landyachtz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, as a cat 5

the snobbery level in the 33 minute runner guys posts is probably going to take you straight to cat2 for comparison

Landyachtz wrote:
So it is possible to podium with times around 1:00. I'm hoping to get a little faster than that this year though. With a complete focus on bike racing, I'm shooting to hit 57-58 by AZ state champs this year in September, which will still probably put me off the podium.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scot wrote:

What years were you running? For most of the 70's ncaa's was 6 miles, not 6.2.

That said, if you're running 'much faster than 35 in tris' you must be legit! With even a 60 min bike and a modest 20-21 min swim, you're flirting with sub 1:55, which would make you one of the best amateurs in the country?

Quote | Reply
Even 35:00 is far harder than a one hour 40K.

I did my first 40K last year on the Record Challenge course in Moriarty. I averaged ca. 235 watts to post a 57:21. I don't run as often as I ride, but my best 10K time is either 42 or 45 minutes. I don't see myself getting that below 40 without a lot of work, but think I could take another minute off the 40K, a little more with some lucky weather.
Quote Reply
Re: 10K equivalent of a 60:00 40K TT? [Tom Fort] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm the complete opposite. On 3 hours of running a week I can hit sub 35 pretty easily. On 3 hours of biking I doubt I could break an hour (Merckx style). Maybe if the 3 bike workouts are all on the turbotrainer, maybe then....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that age and % body fat (usually highly correlated with increase in age) figure a lot into this equation, probably why I can take a fast runner and make him a fast cyclist a lot more readily than I can take a fast cyclist and make him a fast runner. If he is a fast runner, it is almost a given that he is already down to single digit % body fat.

Granted if I was coming out of highschool, where I weighed 138lbs at the same height I am today. A 35 min 10K wasn't that big of a chore. Of course, in my mind I would probably discount the fact that I ran for four years, 5 days a week most of the year and did a fair amount of speedwork (at a time when I had some resemblance of speed). Now, even if I drive my fat % down to the same level by running 2 times the weekly mileage I can't come close to that (38 minutes off of sadly 70-80 mpw). Because of working construction during the summers during college, I picked up a significant amount of body mass. There is nothing I can do to touch a 35 (oh have I tried). Weight is king in running. I can take my son, who can run the 35 minute 10K today without a lot of trouble -He would think that the sub 60 min 40K TT is so much harder (although one year of consistent work would readily get him there)! Depends a lot on your body type and what perspective you come from.

There is only one way to answer this question objectively, through the math of RChung!

I go with his 37:30 10K equivalent to sub 60 40K.
Quote Reply
Re: 10K equivalent of a 60:00 40K TT? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd say around 36. I'm knocking on a 1 hour 40k and a 36. Hard to really compare though. Cycling will be aero dependant and ability to generate sustained power. With running, there a little more bio-mechanics that determine your efficiency.

Also keep in mind that power to weight ratio is more critical to running. I could show you some 180lb cyclists that can hammer out a 1 hour 40k, but can barely run under 42.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: 10K equivalent of a 60:00 40K TT? [Greggor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was a mid-distance swimmer and hover between 150-165lbs at 5'10"! It'd be fun (though probably meaningless in terms of generating useful data) to get everybody here's 40k times in a tri along with 10k runs (open or not) along with original sport (or what they specialize in) and height/weight/age.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6'3"
175lbs
40k TT = 1:00:30 with full on aero gear and position, p3 aluminum bike

10k PB ~45 min (probably an overestimate as it was my 10k split in a 10 mile race)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Wasn't that 5 kph? Also, a highly illegal bike and position... by today's standards.

On my road bike and kit with clip-ons, I lose ~1 mph compared to having all the aero stuff.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6'2 205 lbs

40K - 1:00:53 (P2C - PBK skinsuit - Castelli Shoe Covers- Giro A2 w/LG visor - Hed Jet 60/90 nonC2 - Vittoria Evo CX 20mm w/ Michelin latex tubes)

10K PR - 48:13 (End of an Oly tri)
Open 5K PR - 19:45
Quote Reply

Prev Next