Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: flying with a bike - what's the latest? (or other options) [seebritri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seebritri wrote:
Here's an option...

Nice. Not going to beat the convenience of that mode of transport - well save for a bigger/faster aircraft - say like a Pilatus PC-12. Of course if you are owning/flying a PC-12, then you probably don't care what the airlines charge. Just out of curiosity, ever researched the 'legality' of securing the bikes with bungee cords as opposed to canvas cargo straps with ratcheting type tie down straps? I am thinking that getting ramp checked in that configuration may not go over well with the FAA if the inspector is having one of those days.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: flying with a bike - what's the latest? (or other options) [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have ratchet tie-downs, too. Never had a problem, though I generally fly out of tiny podunk fields.

Brian Grasky
Grasky Endurance: World Championship Triathlon Coaching; Professional Training Camps
RETUL fitter, Biomechanist, USAT Level 3 Coach, USAC Level 2 Coach
Quote Reply
Re: flying with a bike - what's the latest? (or other options) [Spinmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tomorrow I will be flying to Rome with American/Alitalia with a Ruster Sports "Hen House" case. I will follow up with pricing and how it went. Hopefully saving a load of $$$$

Patrick Davis | Rüster Sports | Production Manager

Phone: 319-610-2480
E-Mail: patrick@rustersports.com
Quote Reply
Re: flying with a bike - what's the latest? (or other options) [Spinmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Compared to when I was based in England, we really get slammed for travelling with a bike in North America. I always flew with British Airways and never paid for my bike box not once.

These ridiculous charges are one of the reasons I am looking at getting a Naked bike with S & S couplings.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
British Airways flies bikes for free. If the box is over 50lbs there is an overweight charge, but no charge if it's less than 50lbs.
I used the Aerus Biospeed soft-sided bag, came in under 40lbs even with a wetsuit and bike shoes in the bag.
Theoretically you might be able to sneak this through the other airlines without admitting it's a bike, as it's a relatively small bag, but haven't tried it yet..
Quote Reply
Re: flying with a bike - what's the latest? (or other options) [pdavis10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interested in a 'hen house' travel report and review. Did you pay any fees? Did the case protect your bike? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just booked with Westjet for YVR to LAX, I believe it's $50 each way for my bike box. Can anyone confirm this ?

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: flying with a bike - what's the latest? (or other options) [John M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Living in Hawaii the shipping companies are out because they charge too much since they have to fly it also. The best I have going is being active duty military. Continental charges $100.00, but they don't charge me or my family anything for all of our additional bags. Active duty gets up to three free bags for themselves and family. So in the long run the bike is only 50-75 since I don't pay anything else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a good blog about traveling with your bike from a fellow ST'er.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...el-with-my-bike.html

When running on the street, if your gum accidentally flies out of your mouth, it's no big deal. But if you lose your gum while running on a treadmill, you're gonna have to dodge that thing like 1800 more times, depending on how many more miles you have to go. Trust me on this one.
Quote Reply
Re: flying with a bike - what's the latest? (or other options) [John M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for reminding me to follow up. Totally forgot about this thread.

I flew American Airlines out of Omaha to Chicago and then Alitalia to Fiumicino. I had one suitcase and the two Hen House cases with me. Since the frame case is so light I was able to put all of my training clothes, shoes, nutrition, a full size pump and some other stuff into that bag and have it weigh around 40lbs. I just had the wheels in the wheel bag in hopes of them letting me take them on the plane.

They did not charge me at all on American for the frame or wheel bag with having to check goth of them.

At Chicago I told them that the two bags were "together" and they only charged me for one extra bag on Alitalia. A grand total of $55 for 3 checked bags on an international flight. TOTALLY BLEW MY MIND.

Disassembly. It takes a little while and you need a little bike know-how to do it but it is totally worth it. It took me about 45 min to get mine taken apart and put into the bag the first time but that is because I had to cut all the foam to fit and figure everything out.

Carrying it is not a problem since it is pretty light. I ended up having to carry it about 2 miles since I got lost right away in Rome, but if you are just going from the airport to your car or something you will be fine.

Nothing on the bike got bent, scratched or broken even with all the extra stuff I packed into it.

I am very happy with the $$$$ I saved traveling and how well it was protected even on an international flight. I would definitely recommend it.
Quote Reply
Re: flying with a bike - what's the latest? (or other options) [pdavis10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Currently sitting waiting to board my China Airlines flight from Vancouver to Sydney via Taipei and for the gazillionth time have not been charged for my bike( packaged in a cardboard box that I got from the dumpster at the Bike Barn in Penticton last week)

Air Canada charged $50 to get it here from Penticton!!!

Quote Reply
Re: flying with a bike - what's the latest? (or other options) [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what are the shipping companies (UPS/FEDX) getting to move bikes? I've got a long weekend camp coming up in tucson, and I need to get 3-4 bikes out there(the group needs to) from boston
Quote Reply
Re: flying with a bike - what's the latest? (or other options) [thuddddddd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my experience, $70-ish depending on how far it is going (when shipped in a normal cardboard bike box). If you have a corporate account, I believe it will be less.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is my experience I have given up flying wit the bike...I ship it via fed-ex/UPS. Given training schedule you may not even miss a day in the saddle. It is about the same price but no hassle lugging a bike through airport or getting it there, it shows up at your destination. Depending on where you ship from (Fed Ex depot UPS store), it might even be considerably cheaper; several times coming back from DC Fed ex charged $35 for 2 day service. Just my 2 cents
Quote Reply
Re: flying with a bike - what's the latest? (or other options) [tri_rhody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: flying with a bike - what's the latest? (or other options) [tri_rhody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL, except if you are going a long way... I had quotes for shipping our bikes back to Vancouver from Auckland post-IMNZ, UPS and FedEx were close to $1200, and NZPost was $650. No thanks. AirNZ has never charged me for a bike, I'm going to get dinged on the hop to/from YVR to LAX, oh well, should be $150 per. But agreed - if staying in NA, shipping is the easiest.

I am very keen on this hen house case!

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ship it via fed-ex/UPS.

Not an option if you are crossing an "International" border - like Canada/US. Both US and Canada Customs seem to want take there little share of this and the price goes through the roof. They always think that you are up to something and trying to pull a fast one on them so nothing that crosses the border is "owned goods". They always think there is some form of transaction involved - so you get hit with all kinds of extraordinary charges, brokerage fees, duties and taxes. Or stuff get's held up in customs for days . . on a express shipment, for some minor reason or another.

I love the way the politicians go on and on about the Canada/US border that it's this border between two great friends and that it's the longest undefended border on the planet. Well it's all friendship and fun, until you try and ship something across it!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Feb 13, 11 8:31
Quote Reply
Re: flying with a bike - what's the latest? (or other options) [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UPS consistently charges the highest customs fees. USPS to a border town is always cheaper. UPS will charge $50-$100 for the customs; if I do it myself, it's often $5.

Edit: if you do ship across the border, because you physically can't cross the border (say you live in Penticton or Calgary) ship to an airport (port of entry) and clear customs yourself - again way cheaper.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Last edited by: AndyPants: Feb 13, 11 9:14
Quote Reply
Re: flying with a bike - what's the latest? (or other options) [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point...i have never tried to get the ride out of the US...

Here is what I don't understand, last time i checked a thule case was rather flat and symmetrical making it easy to fit in the cargo hold and place other things around/on top of...golf clubs not so much, they weigh about the same but the clubs are more awkard to pack around...why no fee for clubs?
Quote Reply
Re: flying with a bike - what's the latest? (or other options) [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
perhaps it is time we hardened up and ride our bikes to out destination?

Wait you don't already do that? I do, except for the quick turn around trips...doesn't everyone?
Quote Reply
Re: flying with a bike - what's the latest? (or other options) [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ms6073 wrote:
seebritri wrote:
Here's an option...

Just out of curiosity, ever researched the 'legality' of securing the bikes with bungee cords as opposed to canvas cargo straps with ratcheting type tie down straps? I am thinking that getting ramp checked in that configuration may not go over well with the FAA if the inspector is having one of those days.

You can secure your bikes with whatever you want. You could use duct tape or string if you felt like it. The FAR's don't specify what you have to use for part 91 flights. It just has to be "secured" Tell the fed to take a hike if he doesn't like it. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is what I don't understand, last time i checked a thule case was rather flat and symmetrical making it easy to fit in the cargo hold and place other things around/on top of...golf clubs not so much, they weigh about the same but the clubs are more awkard to pack around...why no fee for clubs?

Great point.

I get it that a bike case may be a bit more awkward than some normal piece of luggage, so I don't mind paying a bit of a fee - say $50. No problem. But is it $100 - $150 more awkward?

Ditto with the golf clubs - I think that some airlines have started to charge for clubs, but I am guessing that it's often waived because they don't want a stink raised and competition being what it is in the airline business these days, and the many people that do travel with clubs, the airlines would want to retain that business. People traveling with bikes, is actually a very small number.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just flew on US Airways from Vancouver, BC to Costa Rica with the big Performance Bike hard-shell case. When I bought my ticket a month ago, US Airways's site said $150 per bike case. Now it says $200 !?! I believe they changed their fees in the beginning of February.
If they had tried to charge me $200, I was ready to argue that when I bought the ticket the fee was just $150, but they actually charged me only $100. I guess I got lucky! ... I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the flight back home ... :o)
Last edited by: Old_Rambler: Feb 13, 11 20:26
Quote Reply
Re: flying with a bike - what's the latest? (or other options) [Old_Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm about to start making my 3rd custom bike case...pretty excited. I'm gonna get it under 62" this time. bwahaha

:: I came, I saw, I conquered. then I ran out of money, crashed into a car during an Ironman, and now work a bad-ass job making prosthetic legs for wounded warriors. ::

the blog: My So-Called Civilian Life :: theWongstar.com :: follow me @theWongstar
Quote Reply
Re: flying with a bike - what's the latest? (or other options) [Wongstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wongstar wrote:
I'm about to start making my 3rd custom bike case...pretty excited. I'm gonna get it under 62" this time. bwahaha

Where are the DIY instructions?!
Quote Reply

Prev Next