Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Rappstar's 2010 IMAZ Nutrition Report (8:16:45/4th o'all)
Quote | Reply
PBN Team Member (Jordan Rapp), just recorded what is arguably one of the greatest comebacks in our sport. I don’t want to dwell on the negative, because as Jordan has said: "I was involved in a hit & run. I was hit. And now I'M the one running!". With that, this was Jordan on March 23, 2010….

& this is Jordan nearly 8-months to the day later…

Photo courtesy of Timothy Carlson

To say this is remarkable would be a gross understatement & it’s been absolutely amazing watching this unfold. HUGE accolades to Jordan & Jill & cheers to what’s going to be a truly meaningful Thanksgiving for them, their families & friends.

Now, onto the reason you opened this thread….the nitty-gritty on another meticulously executed race & nutritional plan. As we noted w/ Jordan’s IMAZ Nutrition Report 2009, he has a strategy which works for him & as such, very little adjustment need to be made assuming the conditions are relatively similar. As such, you’ll notice his intake strategy is nearly the same, with just some slight differences which can partially be attributed to the change from the on-course drink moving from Gatorade Endurance to PowerBar Perform.

Please drop a reply if you have any questions & we’ll aim to get back to you ASAP. Enjoy…

Ironman Arizona Triathlon – November 21, 2010
Race Totals: 8:16:45
Swim: 51:57
Bike: 4:22:38 (25.59 mph)
Run: 2:58:02 (6:47 per mile)
4th place professional male

Complete race results posted here.

BREAKFAST:

PRE-SWIM: (1) bottle w/ (2) EFS + (1) scoop PreRace & (1) SaltStick

SWIM TOTALS: 51:57 (25th o'all)

Bike Nutrition:

Photo courtesy of of Kerry Yndestad

Bike Nutrition Totals:

• Calories: 1757 (403 per hour)
  • CHO: 434g (100 per hour)
  • Sugar: 217g (50 per hour)
  • Sodium: 5932mg (1361 per hour)
  • Potassium: 1981mg (454 per hour)
  • Magnesium: 910mg (209 per hour)
  • Caffeine: 140mg (32 per hour)
*For reference, Jordan raced at ~155LBS (Hourly Caloric Intake (Bike): 2.74 calories /LB per hour)

BIKE TOTALS: 4:22:38 - 25.59 mph

Run Nutrition:

Photo courtesy of of Kerry Yndestad

Run Nutrition Totals:

• Calories: 1165* (394 per hour)
  • CHO: 297g (100 per hour)
  • Sugar: 216g (73 per hour)
  • Sodium: 5712mg (1930 per hour)
  • Potassium: 1604mg (542 per hour)
  • Magnesium: 383mg (129 per hour)
  • Caffeine: 103mg (35 per hour)
*The run was assuming ~1.5oz of PowerBar Perform & ~1.5oz of Coke consumed at each of (24) aid stations (~36oz total of each)

RUN TOTALS: 2:58:02 - 6:47 per mile

If you would like to schedule a 1/2 or Ironman specific Nutritional Evaluation, please e-mail Brian Shea today for availability & additional information (Brian@PersonalBestNutrition.com).

---

Brian Shea
http://www.PersonalBestNutrition.com
Open-Water/Masters Swimming at the Jersey Shore:
Monmouth County NJ Ocean Swim/Masters Workouts
Last edited by: BrianPBN: May 28, 12 20:47
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar's 2010 IMAZ Nutrition Report (8:16:45/4th o'all) [BrianPBN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry Brian but I'm a bit confused. Did you post this for Jordan? Is this what you came up with for him or is this what he actually did (or both)?
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar's 2010 IMAZ Nutrition Report (8:16:45/4th o'all) [ToKnowMore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm sorry Brian but I'm a bit confused. Did you post this for Jordan? Is this what you came up with for him or is this what he actually did (or both)?

Jordan & I have been working together on his nutrition for MANY years. With that, we've now gotten to a point where very few edits are needed in each race as we've found a recipe that works for him (as you'll notice if you review the last few IM nutrition reports of his which we've posted). Think of it like you going to a local chef to come up w/ a very special Thanksgiving dish. You go back/forth w/ that chef a # of times & when you get that recipe perfected, you put a stamp of approval on it & break it out every year on Thanksgiving.....no need to reinvent the recipe every year.

That's essentially what we're doing.

What's outlined above is that plan/recipe w/ his race-day modifications (ie only consuming 1/2 the Virtue bottle) of what he ACTUALLY consumed.

---

Brian Shea
http://www.PersonalBestNutrition.com
Open-Water/Masters Swimming at the Jersey Shore:
Monmouth County NJ Ocean Swim/Masters Workouts
Last edited by: BrianPBN: Nov 24, 10 12:20
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar's 2010 IMAZ Nutrition Report (8:16:45/4th o'all) [BrianPBN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pardon my ignorance but why is so much sugar and salt needed?
Last edited by: ToKnowMore: Nov 24, 10 12:42
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar's 2010 IMAZ Nutrition Report (8:16:45/4th o'all) [ToKnowMore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is one of the greatest comebacks in any sport ever.

That seems like an incredible amount of sodium and a small overall volume of liquid but it sure worked. I can't imagine how much sodium and liquid he would need at a hot race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brian,

I didn't read any mention of Rapp's water intake during the race. Does he drink it? If so, any idea how much/often the rate is?

Thanks,
Jon
Last edited by: JBell: Nov 24, 10 13:28
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar's 2010 IMAZ Nutrition Report (8:16:45/4th o'all) [JBell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Brain,

I didn't read any mention of Rapp's water intake during the race. Does he drink it? If so, any idea how much/often the rate is?

Thanks,
Jon

No water. Water makes me cramp.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Pardon my ignorance but why is so much sugar and salt needed?

The sugar answer is easy. Ironman racing takes a LOT of calories. From a caloric standpoint, the total expenditure is not too much different regardless of time. I.e., whether you finish in 10hrs or 8hrs, the total calories are *approximately* the same. So the faster you go, the more calories you need ASAP. And sugar is really the only way to get those calories quickly and in a form that is easily and rapidly digestible. If I was doing equivalent training, I'd shift my focus to fat & protein. But that's just not realistic during an Ironman. You don't get to stop and eat lunch. Well, except for that guy with a 50+ minute T2.

As for sodium, it's just what I need based on trial-and-error testing to keep from cramping. Generally, though, folks have a skewed perspective about what "normal" is. I lose a fair bit of sodium, but I know folks that need 2x as much sodium as I take in. THAT is a lot.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar's 2010 IMAZ Nutrition Report (8:16:45/4th o'all) [ninesixfour] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It is one of the greatest comebacks in any sport ever.

That seems like an incredible amount of sodium and a small overall volume of liquid but it sure worked. I can't imagine how much sodium and liquid he would need at a hot race.

Not really that much more sodium. More fluid. Probably I'd have done another 2 bottles of Perform on the bike.

In general, I tend to lose a lot of electrolytes when I sweat, but not a ton of fluid. This based off weighing myself before/after (not a big drop) and observing the salt on my skin/clothes after training in hot weather.

Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar's 2010 IMAZ Nutrition Report (8:16:45/4th o'all) [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's very interesting to me, I assumed water would be necessary to aid in the absorption of other fuel, but you obviously don't have that issue? Can you explain the type of cramping you experienced from water? Was it sharp abdominal pain or other? I am asking, because I am trouble shooting a stomach issue I recently had at IMFL, and I was thinking it could have been brought on from a lack of water, I never even considered the opposite.

Oh, can explain how/why water would make you/someone cramp? Do you not drink straight water in training either?

Thanks,
Jon

PS - As many have stated, fantastic job on the weekend, it was awesome to watch you make your come back!
Last edited by: JBell: Nov 24, 10 13:36
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar's 2010 IMAZ Nutrition Report (8:16:45/4th o'all) [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the post, very informative.
Not sure how anyone can drink that orange/mango drink on the run. The flavor is just awful (to me). The Power Bar Perform drink (any flavor) seems to work ok, no abdominal distress, but if the flavor is bad, I ended up drinking a lot of cola.
How do you carry you salt tablets on the run?
Karl from Simi

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar's 2010 IMAZ Nutrition Report (8:16:45/4th o'all) [JBell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
That's very interesting to me, I assumed water would be necessary to aid in the absorption of other fuel, but you obviously don't have that issue? Can you explain the type of cramping you experienced from water? Was it sharp abdominal pain or other? I am asking, because I am trouble shooting a stomach issue I recently had at IMFL, and I was thinking it could have been brought on from a lack of water, I never even considered the opposite.

Oh, can explain how/why water would make you/someone cramp? Do you not drink straight water in training either?

Thanks,
Jon

PS - As many have stated, fantastic job on the weekend, it was awesome to watch you make your come back!

Water upsets my stomach. Makes me get a side-stitch type feeling. So yeah, "sharp abdominal pain." No idea why. I guess I never bothered to care. It just seems to happen, so I don't drink water. Don't drink it in training either.

Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar's 2010 IMAZ Nutrition Report (8:16:45/4th o'all) [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Thanks for the post, very informative.
Not sure how anyone can drink that orange/mango drink on the run. The flavor is just awful (to me). The Power Bar Perform drink (any flavor) seems to work ok, no abdominal distress, but if the flavor is bad, I ended up drinking a lot of cola.
How do you carry you salt tablets on the run?
Karl from Simi

I thought the PowerBar stuff was going to be awful after hearing the reports. But I *really* liked it. Much preferred it to Gatorade. My ONLY complaint is that the sport tops were crap. I had one that wouldn't close. And several others that as soon as you loosened them a bit the top would start to unscrew.

I carry my salt tablets in small vials. Two of them. I actually found the first ever Hammer product I like!

http://www.hammernutrition.com/...upplement-organizers

Ironically, I know the company that makes them. My dad did VC work for them.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's the calorie estimate of the one cup Perform and coke per aid station?

The amount of cals during the run is just amazing to me as it's almost the same as when you're on the bike...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem with the screw tops on the bike. One was loose and leaking all over me/bike. Good thing we had the rain to clean it all up ;)

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Jordan (or Brian if you can answer), I see you have a pretty constant 100g CHO / hour. Are you looking to hit similar totals during long (> 3hr) training sessions? Or do you dial it back a bit? Also could we get an ~ breakdown of the (Calories / CHO etc.) for breakfast as well? Cheers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rapp-
You are a very lucky man. I am happy for you, and I know you worked your ass off to regain your form after the accident.

Congratulations!

Considered publishing your experience(s)?
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar's 2010 IMAZ Nutrition Report (8:16:45/4th o'all) [SMB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hi Jordan (or Brian if you can answer), I see you have a pretty constant 100g CHO / hour. Are you looking to hit similar totals during long (> 3hr) training sessions? Or do you dial it back a bit? Also could we get an ~ breakdown of the (Calories / CHO etc.) for breakfast as well? Cheers.

I take in WAY less CHO during training. What do you think all that bacon is for?! On race day, the vast majority of my calories come from CHO. During training, my diet is roughly 40% protein, 30% CHO, 30% fat.

The breakfast has WAY more fat calories. I'd say that probably 50% of the breakfast calories are fat.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With only that aero bottle on the bike, where did all the other drinks come from?
At the races that I have completed, the volunteers hand me a bottle and I usually have no idea what's in it.

Do pros have special handlers for nutrition?
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar's 2010 IMAZ Nutrition Report (8:16:45/4th o'all) [justfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a bottle cage between my bars.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
On race day, the vast majority of my calories come from CHO.

Do you actually get hungry during the race or do you just take in the predetermined calories/hr regardless?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did your supernatural ability to process calories (especially on the run, 400kcal/hr, sweet $DIETY, that's amazing) come through training, or have you always been able to do it?

Congratulations and respect for the huge effort and hours involved in the recovery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan,

I must say you're a super nice guy and very patient man. More than half of these questions have already been posed to you before on this thread from last year: IMAZ 2009 Nutrition Report. Again, hat's off to you for that and more.

http://www.facebook.com/ReconFoundationTeam
http://www.facebook.com/MarineReconFoundation
http://www.reconfoundation.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good stuff. Thanks for posting. And again, great job Jordan!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting this great information and great job Jordan.

It certainly makes me stop and think about my nutrition, especially my pathetic calorie intake during racing. More trial & error required on my part.
Quote Reply

Prev Next