Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Side Stitches...
Quote | Reply
What causes side stitches during the run? I've heard a variety of reasons, from nutrition, to bike position, to going anaerobic, but always anecdotal. I got a nasty side stitch during my race on Saturday, and I really need to resolve the problem before my 1/2 IM on the 29th.

Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Side Stitches... [Dave in WI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure if this is scientific fact or fiction but...

I was told 'side stiches' are caused by air permeating the lung and creating a small air bubble in the chest cavity between the lung and the plura (sack surrounding the lungs).

They dissipate as they are re-absorbed. Training improves the lungs' elasticity and its ability to prevent permeation somewhat but my supposition is any increase in pressure great enough can overcome the lungs ability to prevent permeation.

Analagous to that, if you do get them, raising your hands above your head to expand the chest cavity & breathe freely and easily. This should help your body deal with the air bubble even though it's counter intuitive to what your body is telling you to do, double over in pain.
Quote Reply
Re: Side Stitches... [Dave in WI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a bit of reading on the subject. This site is Australian, so the English isn't the best. http://www.ais.org.au/nutrition/FactCramp.htm
Quote Reply
Re: Side Stitches... [canneberra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having airbubbles forming in your chest does not feel anything like the stitches I have had. Air bubbles from the lungs are just uncomfortable, but not painful in anyway. So I would doubt it is airbubbles causing the pain.

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

"If you have a body, you are an athlete." -Bill Bowerman
Quote Reply
Re: Side Stitches... [Styk33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The cure to side stiches that has worked for me is finding a rhythm to your breathing. Coming from a military background, I've always felt that was one of the reasons, amoung others, why the Army and Marines always sang while running in formation. It has worked over the years for me to get ride of side stiches. When I feel a stitch coming on or if I'm going anaerobic I find a line from a song that seems to fit the rhythm of the pace and I keep repeating it over and over again under my breath. After a short while you've established a breathing pattern that matches your pace and oxygen needs, and for whatever reason the side stitch goes away. This method has seen me through numerous track sessions and hard finishes to races. I've never tried it on a bike. I think in the water that stroke forces you into a breathing rhythm automaticly.

eric

---------------------------------------------
Everything changes, everything is connected; pay attention. -- Buddhism in 7 words
Quote Reply
Re: Side Stitches... [canneberra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spontaneous pneumothorax / idiopathic pneumothoraz is what you are describing and is much more serious than a simple side stich...

These are commonly seen in patients with marfinoid features (tall and lanky)
Quote Reply