Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Official Airline Bike Fee Thread [dnowak2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Aerus made it to Kona and back with no problems.

Air Canada to Seattle $50

Seattle to Hon. - no charge, just $15 for 1st checked bag which is a standard bag charge

Hon to Kona $25 - although she felt bad but said they had a meeting about that since so many bikes were not getting charged

Kona to Maui - don't recall since I was still on a high, but I think I paid the $25

Maui to Seattle via Hon - no charge and he checked my bags all the way through even though we changed from Hawaiin to Alaska Air.

Avoided the $25 Hawaiin charge and ALL Alaska charges saving me about $75.

Air Canada from Seattle to Winnipeg (through partner airline United) no charge. He wanted to but already had our boarding passes and bag tags printed so he let it slide!

I was crapping when I realized it wasn't an Air Canada flight from Seattle to Vancouver since United can get expensive!!! I'm confident Aerus and its discreet bag saved me lots of $$$. Add extra protection if needed but all my "stuff" arrived safely on both ends and it was handled a lot with all our flight changes!!!
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Airline Bike Fee Thread [pmcdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice, i know some people flew other airlines down there and i would hate to see the bike charge for that.

The lady at the quantas counter on the way back was super nice also i was over weight and i told her it is what it is i just don't want to deal with them anymore. She ended up not charging me and checking them all the way through so i didn't have to pay midwest either to get back to K.C.

My ticket was only 1300 i think and thats just because i had a narrow range of dates i could leave and come back on. If you take into account bike fees i think it was only 300-400 more than flying to L.A. for sprint nationals lol.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Airline Bike Fee Thread [draketriathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boy am I jealous of all your nice happy stories.

Flew 'Go' from Honolulu to Kona and the extra charge was $50usd.

On the return flight with 'Go', it was just $35usd but my luggage didn't arrive. That was the 12th October and I am still waiting for my bike and backpack.

Am told they will arrive in my local airport of Queenstown tomorow but not holding my breath as was told that the day before also.

AirNZ picked up the cots of getting it back to NZ since there were 8 of us affected including 2 bikes of Terenzo Bozzone. AirNZ have said they are just doing us a favour getting them back to us at no extra cost so 'hats off to them'.

Can't say I recommend flying 'Go' though.

G.
www.TriathlonShots.com

http://www.TriathlonShots.com
Full event coverage of triathlon/ironman in photos.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Airline Bike Fee Thread [pmcdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got this:
2nd Bag Fee
Air France will introduce a fee for passengers checking in a second bag. The fee will be $50 for all flights departing from the USA
and 50 euros for all flights departing from Europe.
Some exemptions apply.

That is not good.

Sebastian
SLS3
http://slstri.blogspot.com/

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Airline Bike Fee Thread [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you know where/how you can get a Mexican Athletic Federation membership?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No charges to or from Maui with the Aerus case on American Airlines. Flying out of LAX, I was going to check it in at the curb and tip the guy $20-40 because AA charges a $100 for bikes. As I'm waiting in line, a supervisor walks up and asks if that's a bike. I laugh and say, "It probably isn't". To which he responds, "You need to take it inside and check it in at the counter." Defeated, I walked to the counter resigned to the fact I'm going to be paying $120 for my luggage. The counter agent looks at the bike case and asks for $20. I showed him my other piece of luggage and tells me it'll be $50. Sweet! I hand him my credit card as quickly as possible and head to the gate.

Leaving Maui, where there is no curbside check-in and hundreds of athletes all flying home with bikes, I was again resigned to paying the $100. I figured $100 r/t wasn't bad. I'm not sure who the ticket agent was, but he wasn't the least bit interested in charging me, thus making more work for him, the extra $100 for the bike. However, when I arrived that night in LA, no bike. It showed up the next morning and was delivered to my house in perfect condition before noon.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Last edited by: ShawnF: Nov 1, 09 17:13
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Airline Bike Fee Thread [sls3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hardly a surprise to see one of the worst European airlines to be the first doing this, even on international flights...I avoid Air France as much as possible .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This falls into the category "I should have read this thread before making a reservation."

A few weeks ago I flew Delta to Milan to watch the Giro di Lombardia. Delta hit me for $300 at check-in for one bike in a Trico Ironcase. Weather delays getting into Atlanta to make the connection to Milan meant I made the flight but the bike didn't. The bike reached Milan one day after I left Milan and arrived home one day after I did. At least Delta didn't get to nick me for 300 Euros to bring it back. On the other hand, the derailer hanger is bent.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Airline Bike Fee Thread [dschoonmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few weeks ago I flew Delta to Milan to watch the Giro di Lombardia. Delta hit me for $300 at check-in for one bike in a Trico Ironcase. Weather delays getting into Atlanta to make the connection to Milan meant I made the flight but the bike didn't. The bike reached Milan one day after I left Milan and arrived home one day after I did. At least Delta didn't get to nick me for 300 Euros to bring it back. On the other hand, the derailleur hanger is bent.

Sorry to hear that.

If you had read this thread, you would not have flown Delta. When it comes to bikes they are one of the worst airlines out there. Triathletes and cyclists need to start to shop for plane tickets by rewarding the airlines that are reasonable and good about this - Delta is NOT that way. No triathlete/cyclist in their right mind, should choose Delta or any of the other big carriers who gouge and discriminate in this way.

As for the derailleur - always take the rear derailleur off the bike when shipping it. It's an easy one bolt thing to do. This greatly reduces the chances of derailleur and derailleur hanger damage when the bike is being shipped.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Airline Bike Fee Thread [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
don't remind me - this thread came 5 months to late for my ticket purchase for IMFL.

i've learned my lesson :)
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Airline Bike Fee Thread [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
don't remind me - this thread came 5 months to late for my ticket purchase for IMFL.

The problem as I see it is that may use Expedia, Hotwire and similar sites to get tickets. They think they have a great deal on the ticket - and perhaps they do. But what they have failed to do is before booking the ticket, check the small-print on that airlines bike policy.

What I do now is scroll down the Expedia and Hotwire ticket price lists and find an airline that is more bike friendly. Yes I realize that their are route and connection restrictions. And yes you may end up paying a bit more, but say you had paid more $100 more for an airline that had a fixed, for sure, $50 bike fee - you would have broken even or better Vs Delta or other airlines that are insane about this.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you're making me want to shoot myself! STOP!

:)
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Airline Bike Fee Thread [Flaco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A heads up to all those going to COZUMEL...

I took Flaco's advice and am now a card carrying member of the Mexican Athletic Federation ($40). My bike will fly free on Mexicana. I would suggest calling Mexicana directly as many flights are labeled Mexicana but are actually on American Airlines and therefore subject to AA's baggage policy. I paid a bit more for the ticket on Mexicana but will fly direct to Cancun and shouldn't have any surprises when I get to the airport.

Also, there is a travel director in Cozumel that is offering transportation from the Cancun airport to Playa del Carmen, the ferry ride to Cozumel, and then transportation to your hotel in Cozumel. Round trip for this service is $79. His email is roberto@grupointermar.com.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Airline Bike Fee Thread [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Just back from a round trip on United and got the $175 in both directions. At least the guy in Denver coming back was nice and let me move some stuff around as the bike case had the gear and tool bag in it and was 10 pounds over and he didn't want to charge me the additional $125. Between the bike charge and off-airport parking and a share of the rental car, I could have driven for the same price or less.

clm
Don't know how I missed REMEMBERING your post, but I nearly paid dearly for it coming out to IMAZ.

I got lucky with the ticket agent in Kansas City who took pity on me and charged me last year's fee of $85.

The bike is going home via FEDEX ground. Dragging luggage that weighs more than you is just that-a drag.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Airline Bike Fee Thread [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
. Dragging luggage that weighs more than you is just that-a drag.

Hopefully that is not that case. I am guessing the reason that many of the airlines had clamped down on this in the first place and started charging so much more, is that in typical triathlete fashion, it had got totally out of hand, and people were checking in bike cases the size and weight of a Hummer! I once was flying home from IMC a few years ago, and it took three strong men to pick up this one womans bike case and put in on the belt. Had to have weighed well over 100 lbs. Crazy.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am getting out of the sport because of how crazy it has gotten with fees, it takes the fun out of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frontier was good to me, they only ever charged me 50 percent of the time. And even checked my bike 10 min before the flight takeoff various times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wouldn't the proper response to over-weight bike cases be to simply raise the fees for excess weight?

run well, run happy
george
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Trico hard-shell case had 1 extra small-size Kuota K-Factor and wheels. Nothing more; not even a bike pump. 14 lb bike and a 30 lb case, plus a duffel bag carrying my helmet, clothes, etc. makes for a heavy load when you're barely 5 feet tall, 50 years old, and slightly over 100 lbs.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Airline Bike Fee Thread [Flaco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
This is the Website. Federacion Mexicana de Triatlon. I am linking you straight to the affiliation section and at the very bottom before the end is the link to the above link. Just in case.

http://www.triatlon.com.mx/afiliaciones.php

Let me know if you have any problems or need some translation.

I registered on October 14th and I received "Inscripción al evento AFILIACION FMTRI 2009" email on the 15th, but I have yet to receive the "hologram" or any physical mailing alluded to in the web address above.

I fly out on Thursday for IM Cozumel. Should I just print out the welcome email and Mexicana will accept that?

Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A great and informative thread.

Based on my foreign and domestic travel, a few quick observations:

1. Air France should be listed at the bottom. I flew them via continental and was initially charged 100 dollars going and then they charged me 100 euros (yes euros) when leaving Italy. I had French company staff quoting one thing and the Italian staff quoting another.
2. Demanding to watch TSA inspect bike cases will not always work. In some airports they inspect in enclosed areas not available to the public. Push come to shove, they win, security trumps your perceived needs to watch them work.
3. Remember that airlines staff and TSA staff perhaps see bike cases less then 5 percent of the time. Make things easy to inspect and lock all things down as best you can will make life easier on both sides of the fence. If your bag is crammed with clothes and other items, you are setting yourself up for frustration to receive your bag with things in the wrong place. I used to put clothes in the large zip lock bags. I do not do this any more. The less in the case, the better. Aside from the bike, I have a pump, helmet, bike shoes, and a small plastic case for tools,etc. Everthing is easy to see and visually inspect.
4. I use a tri all three hard case and wheel case. I zip tie every thing so nothing moves (long zip ties available at home depot) - this dissuades TSA from taking things out of the case. Make sure you have sufficient zip ties for the round trip. The seat is in a plastic bag, zip ties to the inside of the case.
5. Use pipe insulation cut to conform to your frame, wheel brackets etc, this will protect your frame (again home depot or your favorite home improvement store). I zip tie the pedal wrench, enclosed in pipe insulation to the real wheel stay, I zip tie a silca track pump, enclosed in pipe insulation to my top tube that is also covered with pipe insulation.
6. Put all loose tools etc in a small clear plastic cover locking container - TSA can then look at the contents without opening and things are not moving around, potentially getting lost. I have actually bolted a small plastic container to the bottom of my bike case so TSA can not take it out of the box.
7. If you can, try to avoid flying through Newark before leaving the country or entering the country, which is often times hard if flying oversees. The Newark airlines crew managing baggage and the TSA staff that work there are, relative to other airports, brutal with bike cases. I have gotten a new tri-all three from continental due to the damage received flying through Newark.
8. If you travel with products such as Hammer Heed etc., purchase the individual packages rather than put the product in plastic containers. Otherwise, you will have dogs and other folks checking your case out.

Doing Du's since 1987.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, some of the information on this thread may not be accurate.

Swiss Airlines: Bikes fly free (as do skis and other "sports equipment")

JetBlue: have had multiple different fees--$50 each way, $100 each way, $100 plus $50 overweight fee one way then $50 return trip, $25 plus $20 overweight fee, or no charge either way.

Bottom line is check with airline before you buy ticket or at least before you arrive at the airport. Get regulation number to quote to ticketing clerk as frequently he/she or his/her supervisor does not know. Sometimes I think they just make this stuff up.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Airline Bike Fee Thread [tribike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spirit charged me $75 on the flight out of Detroit as long as the case was under 50 pounds on the way back the curbside guy in myrtle beach only charged us $25.

TSA did take a look in my case thankfully they got everything back in okay.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Airline Bike Fee Thread [SwimNowRunLater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

I took Flaco's advice and am now a card carrying member of the Mexican Athletic Federation ($40).

How long did it take to get your card once you registered?

It has been 5 weeks and I still have not received anything but a welcome email.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Airline Bike Fee Thread [terre firma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do you have any pictures of your setup you could share? best post I've read on this...
Quote Reply

Prev Next