Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Official Airline Bike Fee Thread [Iron Dukie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AND, to top this all off, they are refusing to refund me the $300 I had to pay to fly with the bike.

That's actually the most galling part about this. Yes, it's a bit of a hassle t for the baggage handlers to handle the bike. We know that. We've had to do a bit of extra work to get the bike to the check-in counter, but it's not that much($300) of extra work. On the contrary, if you are paying that much extra one would think that the bike would get some form of extra special treatment, but the bikes cases get beat up, man-handled or lost just like any other piece of luggage.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Airline Bike Fee Thread [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Opening a "No airplaine fees for bikes" group at Facebook could be a start.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Airline Bike Fee Thread [mullinsm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's the post on this thread. You didn't follow the link in the post.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...rum.cgi?post=2401370
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Letters, emails, whining, complaining and harassing at check in do nothing.

I disagree with the letter writing. As you said, the guy with the golf clubs and huge suitcase pays nothing but this is because the golf guys wouldn't let them get away with it. We do. I write letters and whine on many of my airline and rental cars and get decent results. It is BS that they don't want our business and BS that companies don't listen to complaints. As you said, a bike box does not cost them $300 or even $50. They charge us because they can. If every STer wrote a complaint leter, it might help.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Airline Bike Fee Thread [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I regularly write/email about these sorts of things. I am not trying to be that sort of customer, but when I feel I have been given a raw deal, I take the time to write a proper letter to whoever, and see what can be done. I find that if you are not an ass about this, they often will go the extra mile to help you out.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just got charged $200 USD on United flying international from Korea to the US. This is the first time I've EVER been charged for my bike in Asia, where they usually go by weight.

My box was not overweight (25kg)... they just charged me $200 on general principal because the contents of my box was a bike. Again, first time I've seen this in three years and many races in Asia.

Ticket says the charge is all the way to my destination. Let's hope I don't get a big dose of American airport hospitality from the TSA and the counter people when I transfer!

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Airline Bike Fee Thread [ericM35-39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Were you flying US carriers on your previous intra-Asia trips? My general experience (*not* bike-specific) is that foreign carriers (KAL, Asiana, etc) are much more reasonable than the major US carriers. Delta is especially bad.

Dan
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Airline Bike Fee Thread [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking at Kona air transport for IMH. Any one have any experience with US Airways and the WTC Free Bike Voucher? How do you implement this? Does this apply to someone not travelling to do the race - say the spouse of someone doing the race? Can we both get/use the vouchers?

Thanks.

Last edited by: Fleck: Jul 30, 09 20:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Continental to Lake Placid...$80 buckes each way which was not bad considering I expected to pay $100 each way! Paacking a bike box sucks ass BTW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My apologies. A selfish bump for my question above.

Anyone? Bueller? :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's an old hold over from the IMNA days. Doesn't apply to Kona??? I've never heard of US Air vouchers to get it out there.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Airline Bike Fee Thread [ericM35-39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they just charged me $200 on general principal because the contents of my box was a bike.

That's the thing that fucking pisses me off more than ANYTHING! Once i was asked if it was a bike. No, I said, it's various parts. Not a bike, he says. No... parts. Do they happen to be bike parts? How's this... my case (i had actually sinched the size of it "under the limit" *thank you tape) is of normal size... it weighs 29 lbs, why are you still asking questions.

If you get up in their face about the ridiculousness of the "simply b/c it's a bike" clause sometimes they'll let it slide then deal with an irate customer.

FWIW... i was in a really bad mood that day. The real evil-cynical-no-bull-shit-common-sense-me comes out on those days.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Airline Bike Fee Thread [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you get up in their face about the ridiculousness of the "simply b/c it's a bike" clause sometimes they'll let it slide then deal with an irate customer.

Mark,

Agreed. That is what I find most galling about this. Why do the airlines seem to have it out for anything that is a B-I-K-E?

My sense is that part of it has been people showing up with hard cases packed to the gills with a weight similar to a Hummer!

If you pack smart and light while traveling with a bike for race or training you should have a one checked bag with reasonable weight and the bike box - also of reasonable weight. Yes it's slightly over sized, but is it $150 - $200 worth of oversize? That's the question I keep asking?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a friend (when we were flying to our first ITU race back in 2003), that told them it was bike parts. They then opened it, and he challenged them "If you can build it, and ride it around the terminal, I will pay your fee!". It actually worked! I thought that was hillarious. I usually just call it "business equipment", which is not a lie at all when you are a pro.

We all know Delta sucks, why are some of you surprised and outraged by this?

One tip: Stop putting a bunch of triathlon and bike related stickers on your case!!!! This is quite the tipoff for the clever CSI check in workers.

I still say Hardcase when traveling domestically, soft when going international. I have had mine banged up so many times when in the US, I would not trust them to a soft case.

And I have a friend, sponsored by Blue, who had a 1 cm. hole punched in his disc, when using the soft case. So Damage does occur, and I think it is a pretty big risk to fly with, even if you get reduced bike fees.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you pack smart and light while traveling with a bike for race or training you should have a one checked bag with reasonable weight and the bike box - also of reasonable weight. Yes it's slightly over sized, but is it $150 - $200 worth of oversize? That's the question I keep asking?

That's the thing that i guess makes absolutely no sense. It's not like it's a graduated fee. It's $0 if you are just under on the size (and at 29lbs i'm always under on weight) but then jumps to dollar figures that rival two round trips on the same airlline.... WTF!?!?!?! Next argument I'm going to strike up with them. "I know it's your policy... but I want you to prove to me the financial sense in what you are asking of me. Ask yourself... does it really make sense?"

Like with much of life... the lack of common sense is all too present here.

Oh yeah... and please start charging more on the fat fucks that spill over the arm rest and into my seat.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Airline Bike Fee Thread [trimess] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I had a friend (when we were flying to our first ITU race back in 2003), that told them it was bike parts. They then opened it, and he challenged them "If you can build it, and ride it around the terminal, I will pay your fee!". It actually worked! I thought that was hillarious. I usually just call it "business equipment", which is not a lie at all when you are a pro.
Business equipment... i like that. Seeing as "mobile ergometer" and "convention display" haven't been working. That said... it's DIA... they know what it is. :-P

One tip: Stop putting a bunch of triathlon and bike related stickers on your case!!!! This is quite the tipoff for the clever CSI check in workers.
My soft case is unmarked... and i still get dinged... i even wear "normal" people clothing. :)

I still say Hardcase when traveling domestically, soft when going international. I have had mine banged up so many times when in the US, I would not trust them to a soft case.

And I have a friend, sponsored by Blue, who had a 1 cm. hole punched in his disc, when using the soft case. So Damage does occur, and I think it is a pretty big risk to fly with, even if you get reduced bike fees.
Insurance baby. :) that and an 808 or 1080 with disc cover in lieu of a real disc. I hate the honeycomb ride.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Next argument I'm going to strike up with them. "I know it's your policy... but I want you to prove to me the financial sense in what you are asking of me. Ask yourself... does it really make sense?"

Actually, you should ask Purse about the rationale behind airline pricing...

--------------------------

Team Timex 2014
@ajhodges
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Why do the airlines seem to have it out for anything that is a B-I-K-E?

Because domestic airlines also fly various forms of cargo and bikes or other oversized bits tend to reduce the available space for on demand air-freight. Also, I suspect that many who have suffered delays due to 'lost bikes' was actually a case of the bike being bumped in lieu of cargo/air freight. While we have not had any bad experiences with transporting the bikes, recently when the wife and I flew Southwest to Manchester, NH for a cycling vacation SWA charged $50 for each bike each way (bikes packed in Sunlite Hardcases) with an intermediate stop in Baltimore. Upon arrival in Baltimore, while waiting for the next bunch of passengers to board, I watched as the ground crew unloaded nothing but boxes of frozen seafood from the aft cargo hold of our 737-700. Now while I thought it ironic to fly frozen seafood from the gulf coast to the east coast, when I asked one of the cabin crew if that amount of cargo was common place, she said it would be uncommon and often noted that there was as much or more cargo than baggage.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Airline Bike Fee Thread [jasonmac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Update: back from trip (Auckland, SanFran, Boston, Orlando, Toronto, Halifax, Ottawa, Vancouver, Auckland). I had one ~35lb bag, plus hardcase bike case (the Team Bike Case from Performance) with Cervelo Soloist/Helmet/Trq Wrenches/Shoes/Water bottles

To re-cap, my first tickets would have been-
U:$200USD, D-$175, WJ:$50, U:$200USD.

Read this thread and changed tickets to become-
AirNZ:$0, JB:$50USD, WJ:$50USD,AC:$50CDN

Actual costs were:
AirNZ:$0, JB:July Tour deFrace promo:$0, WJ:$0 they let me repack to be <50lbs (I had added some nice bike gifts for wife), AC:$50CDN

Damage: nil and case in great nic.

Riding: Hamptons, NH and NSCC club ride Boston, MA, back roads central Nova Scotia - PRICELESS :-)

Amazingly, On the return flights from Halifax I had 30mins and 60mins stop overs. Bike made it to Auckland with me, but bag made it a day later. Not bad!

Slight OT - I am happy with this bike box after quite a few international/domestic flights. It fits in back seats of taxis (larger American or UK ones) should the boot be full of junk and the four wheels make airport/hoteling easy. Even managed a couple of Kms walk in Newburyport MA from the commuter train to inn without a problem.

again, great thread. Is there a sticky home for this yet?
cheers

Re: The Official Airline Bike Fee Thread [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right. I stand corrected.

mm
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Airline Bike Fee Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
US Air update:

Domestic - $100 USD each way
International - $100 USD each way.

TSA = Dumbfucks who have failed now 3 of my last 4 trips closing the case properly. Here is the link to TSA to file a claim from dumbfuck's damaging your stuff.

http://www.tsa.gov/...95_claim_package.pdf

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Air France: can check a bag and a bike for free (at least on international flights)

---

This even works on Delta flights (normally $300/bike) if marketed by Air France. But be careful, when you get to the Delta ticket counter the person will be clueless and will try to charge you.

I did this on my trip to IMUK (Air France marketed Delta flight purchased through Air France). I had the selling rep. put a comment on my record with the appropriate luggage rules. Even with the comment it took a bit of tenacity and 20 minutes for them to verify...but in the end got the bike on for free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AirFrance-KLM: In Europe they sometimes charge 40 Euro, sometimes 175 Euro. So far, every time they tried 175 and I said "Hey, it should be 40" they have changed it, so I am not sure what the scam is. It may have something to do whether it is an extra piece of luggage or part of the allowance.

AirFrance-KLM: Trans-atlantic: 250 Sfr (approx 200 USD), this is probably the equivalent of the 175 USD for NorthWest since they are related. And this is independent of the class you fly, your frequent flyer status, etc. I asked specifically if I was a Platinum member flying a full fare first class ticket and they said yep, we charge for the bike. Just one of the many reasons I don't fly first class :-).

HOWEVER, I have found they will not charge if the bike is not "complete". Any time I say "It's not a complete bike, there are no wheels in it" I don't have to pay. Of course, the wheels are not in the bike, then it won't fit in the bag, but the wheels are in the bag. I don't want to lie, but I do say things like "It's not like it's ready to ride away on".

All in all, pretty pathetic for KLM, airline of the cycling capital of the world, the Netherlands (there are always several bike-related articles in their in-flight magazine, every month. Crazy).

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
150 euros when flying with the German airline is the standard cost for taking a bike on board so i found out yesterday.
Lufthansa also starts charging more on top of that when the weight is over 32kgs(would have to recheck this bit).

The funny thing is that the ticket I bought was with AirNZ return from Queenstown/NZ to Frankfurt/Germany and on the way there I had no extra fee for the bike since it was checked right through with AirNZ.
AirNZ allows an extra 10kgs free for most sports gear and bikes so you can carry up to 30kgs with no extra baggage charges.

Anyway 150euros is alot and 'by chance' the girl at the Lufthansa pay desk made an error and only charged me 70euros.

G.
www.TriathlonShots.com

http://www.TriathlonShots.com
Full event coverage of triathlon/ironman in photos.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Airline Bike Fee Thread [triathlonshots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With Lufthansa...it is also the measurements of your bike box that is important. If you go over, it is actually roughly $500 one way, which is totally insane. BUT if you fly businessclass, it is a little different and they might not charge you extra, as you have a higher weight limit. Just FYI...
Quote Reply

Prev Next