Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Will a musky try to eat me?
Quote | Reply
I'm in Wiscansan and every time I cruise out for an open-water swim the fishermen tell me to watch out for muskies. It's Lake Wingra in Madison if anyone is familiar. I was like "whateva, I do what I wont," but see, now I'm starting to get a little freaked out. I'm not worried when I'm actually swimming, because I'm sure I make enough of a racket to scare them off. But whenever I stop to rest my little toes are dangling in a very appetizing way, and I'm wondering what kind of damage a fish could do if it tried to take a bite. Could I actually lose a finger or a toe? Can they grab me and pull me under water and get me in one of those "death rolls?" If I punch them will they let go, or are they crazy? How do these fish behave? I swim way out in the middle of the lake because I don't want any weeds getting in my business, but maybe I shouldn't be out there because the biggest fish live there. Any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Will a musky try to eat me? [skavoovie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Eww...you're swimming in Wingra? Damn...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Post deleted by MartinP [ In reply to ]
Re: Will a musky try to eat me? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Yeah, it's gross. But I live about 300 yards from the boat launch so it's real convenient. I run from my apartment in my wetsuit straight into the water. And then when I'm done I can run back to my apartment in my speedo and upset all the old ladies/families that are my neighbors. I move out this weekend and they all can't wait.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Will a musky try to eat me? [Sausagetail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just don't watch River Monsters before you compete! Fresh water fish can get BIG!

Rav Dighe
Coach & Director
w: http://www.alohatri.com
e: rav@alohatri.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

...I live about 300 yards from the boat launch so it's real convenient. I run from my apartment in my wetsuit ...

First entry into the new strange denizens of Open Water swimming thread... ;-)

Don't worry about the muskies. I would worry more about snapping turtles. And keep your nipples away from those pesky bluegills.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Musky is a hunter. It wants to eat things that move around. In the summer the guys actually use what is known as "topwater" baits. They skim things that look like mice or whatever across the top of the water.

You should really be more concerned about Tiger Muskies. They are bred to be killers.

Finally, I wouldn't be concerned about fish at all. My concern would be for the algae eating snakes the DNR has put into the Madison Lake system. Those things freak me out.

Good Luck,

chris

"You can quit, and no one will care if you do. But you will know."
~John Collins, Ironman founder

Member HED Mafia
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you seriously affraid of a musky? Those fishermen should be affraid. They have to remove hooks out of a mouth full of teeth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Musky are not vicious sea creatures. They like to cuddle. This one came out of the water I swim in. No it is not my fish. I wish it were though. Don't sweat it, just take off the toe rings.

Scott McNamee
Cranks Bicycle Shoppe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that you should stick to the adage, "train the way you race." It might be a good idea to become accustomed to swimming with vicious carnivorous creatures, depending upon which races are in your schedule.

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Come down here to South Georgia and go for an open water swim. We have these:
Quote Reply
Re: Will a musky try to eat me? [Robert Preston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You think that those things are dangerous? I have to swim with THESE:

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are essentially fresh water Barracudas...
Think about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should hope to be attacked by a musky! There would be interviews, appearances on the Today show, the Late Show, book deals, endorsement deals, the made for TV movie....

All that's to say that it would be like a lightning strike. Plus you'd survive and not really need any medical treatment to speak of (antiseptic and bandaids).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: JReed: May 27, 09 6:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Yeah, it's gross. But I live about 300 yards from the boat launch so it's real convenient. I run from my apartment in my wetsuit straight into the water. And then when I'm done I can run back to my apartment in my speedo and upset all the old ladies/families that are my neighbors. I move out this weekend and they all can't wait.

Ummm...that's sorta understandable...heck, I used to wind surf on Monona Bay, although I was less likely to be having my head in the water doing that than you...

Why? Because the house I was living in (the big yellow duplex on the corner of Drake and Shore drive) was right across the street from the bay :-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"whenever I stop to rest my little toes are dangling in a very appetizing way, and I'm wondering what kind of damage a fish could do if it tried to take a bite."

I would suggest NOT skinny dipping.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Remember, these are some of the same guys who sit out there on the ice all winter, getting hammered on Korbel and Miller Lite, trying to catch a fish through a hole. I would consider their sanity.

Quote | Reply
it's a fisherman's joke. The muskie is known as 'the fish of ten thousand casts' because they're so tough to catch; that is, not very aggressive. They are ambush predators, so extremely unlikely to attack in deep open water.
The Northern Pike is in the same family, there are stories in Europe of these things biting kids, dogs, etc, but those are mostly legends.
Quote Reply
Re: Will a musky try to eat me? [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Out trout fishing once in Denmark, a pike surfaced next to my boat. Startled the heck out of me. The thing was huge. I would not want to try to debunk that particular legend.

Quote | Reply
Will a musky try to eat me?

naaaa. you are more likely to get a strike dangling your toes in the water while sitting on a dock.

i've got these guys out swimming in small pods in the lake where i'm at.

every once in a while the gar will come up close enough to see for a few strokes and match pace before moving off. totally harmless save for the gulp of water or two when first encountering them.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: Will a musky try to eat me? [Jim Mishler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agreed..be more worried about the fish called snakeheads...freaky violent things
Quote Reply
Re: Will a musky try to eat me? [Kentiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FYI the "You should be more worried about this OTHER horrible creature that's also lurking in the water with you" advice isn't quite as comforting as you may think.
Quote Reply
Re: Will a musky try to eat me? [Bigkens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"mostly" is the operative word..
Once I was fishing for pike from a float tube. The smaller ones were fine, a 28" one was a bit much to handle, then a 36" swam by and I decided to get out of the water..
Quote Reply

Prev Next