Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Whistler riding partner? [cuds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like we may have to go to plan B after all ... just watching the news, they say the hwy may be closed until Tuesday ...

my support:

Pacific Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Whistler riding partner? [Alexia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just read cbc.ca and they said possibly five days of closure!! Surely they are looking at a worst case scenario. I will be monitoring this as the days go by. Crazy!!
Quote Reply
Re: Whistler riding partner? [diva] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The latest road updates can be found here: http://www.drivebc.ca/details.jsp?eventId=66107&district=Lower%20Mainland|Lower%20Mainland%20Sunshine%20Coast

I hope that they can get it cleared up in time...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Whistler riding partner? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that link. I am taking my kids back to Texas on Wed. Aug 06. I hope I don't have to drive around the long way via Lillooet. I'm starting to wonder if my bike box will fit in the helicopter that goes from Whistler to Vancouver. A six hour drive plus 12 hours of airline travel makes for a long day. We'll see...I'm so relieved no one got hurt in the rockslide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking they won't. I'm hoping, but I seriously doubt it. :-(

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A family of 4 taking the heli to Vancouver from Whistler costs just shy of $3000.

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Whistler riding partner? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I just checked the rates. It's going to be a long long drive for my kids and I, then 12 hours of air travel time. Nothing to be done about it. That will make me miss another day of training though, which is not optimal. Oh well....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well one bright spot: DFO will allow the clearing of rock into Howe Sound, as opposed to trucking it all out. That should have a lot of time. Still projecting 4 days tho.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard this morning Whistler Air (float plane) is doing specials for $200 each. They would also charge me for the bike box though. That would be $800 versus a possible 7-8 hour drive. Sitting on the fence on that one....

I had booked my daughter a lesson with dirt series coach for Monday and employed the driver/bike mechanic for Lillooet ride. I'm just wondering how long I wait before I cancel these. I don't want to be last minute and rude to these two professional cycling individuals. It won't be nearly as fun to ride to Lillooet by myself!! Again, personal inconvenience aside, I'm glad no one was hurt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
99.3 The Fox just reported (from CKNW) that the roads could be cleared and opened by Sunday if progress continues at the rate it is now!!!!

WOOOOHOOOO!

Quote | Reply
SWEET! I'll be keeping tabs on this all weekend...

(assuming I ever get home)

Not being able to ride would suck!

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GO GO GO!!!!!

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really need to hear that on several fronts. It's raining for the second day, just went down and noticed my bike has a flat, I ate a giant piece of strawberry rhubarb pie ala mode, and I've been worrying over getting to the Vancouver Airport next week. Now perhaps I can stop worrying and STOP EATING. I was going to cancel the driver/mechanic tonight but I will hold off until further word on the highway progress. Here's hoping it all works out....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure he knows what our story is, right? Just let him know where we stand maybe?
You should have no problem getting to the airport though. Sounds like things are coming together just fine.

mmm... pie!

Quote | Reply
CBC reporting late Sunday opening possibility with Monday looking almost certain: http://www.cbc.ca/...8/01/bc-highway.html

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Global news at 6 said almost for sure Monday. :-( We need plan B. My suggestions are (with NO sag wagon cuz I dunno who's gonna sag): 1) Drive to Ft. Langley and then ride from Ft. Langley to Chilliwack (Big Yellow Barn) and back. This is a fave randonneur ride See http://www.randonneurs.bc.ca/...outes/lm_canpop.html. 2) South Surrey along 0 avenue, meet at the pink hotel on 99, ride to Sumas (or slightly further) and back, maybe even cross at Aldergrove and ride thru Linden WA, then cross back at Sumas. 3) Vancouver-ish to Mission and back (about 120k).

Other suggestions????

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Darn. I feel I can stop worrying about my Wednesday flight, but I am bummed about this ride falling apart @ Whistler. If you all are thinking it's looking dim for up here, I'm going to cancel the driver/bike mechanic. I don't want to tie up his day and then again, I was compensating him and if we're not going, I want to avoid that as well. I don't feel too guilty because with 9 bikes here, I can give him some other work. I hope you all have a great ride. I'll be watching the posts in the next 24 hours to see what you all decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Told driver I would be definitve about plans by tomorrow evening. (Saturday) Hopefully, it will come together. He's a sweetheart and said "no worries either way."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This one is cool: http://www.roadbikerides.com/...iew/small_climb/1856
with the option of heading up towards Mt Baker

but I'm open to whatever ...

my support:

Pacific Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Global news at 6 said almost for sure Monday. :-( We need plan B. My suggestions are (with NO sag wagon cuz I dunno who's gonna sag): 1) Drive to Ft. Langley and then ride from Ft. Langley to Chilliwack (Big Yellow Barn) and back. This is a fave randonneur ride See http://www.randonneurs.bc.ca/...utes/lm_canpop.html. 2) South Surrey along 0 avenue, meet at the pink hotel on 99, ride to Sumas (or slightly further) and back, maybe even cross at Aldergrove and ride thru Linden WA, then cross back at Sumas. 3) Vancouver-ish to Mission and back (about 120k).

Other suggestions????

AP

I'm still holding out hope that we can make it to Whistler on Monday, but if we are forced to look to alternate routes I'd strongly recommend avoiding Zero Ave. I've been warned that that's a very popular road for street racers and kids who think they can drive a lot better than they actually can, and as a result there are a fair number of cars flying along right on the edge of control (or just beyond) and an inordinately high number of high-speed accidents along that road. It's too bad, too - it's a beautiful bit of road that would be perfect for riding...

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PEEPS! The news just said that they expect the highway to open TONIGHT! WOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!

In other news... my complaints about shortness of breath earlier in this thread look to be asthma. Fab.

Quote | Reply

District: Lower Mainland Route: Highway 99 Both Directions Type: Incident Cause: Rock Slide Last Updated On: Aug 02, 2008 05:33 PM
Description:

Closed in both directions at Porteau Cove between Lions Bay and Furry Creek Bridge (15.5 km) because of Rock Slide. Estimated time of opening: Saturday, August 2 at 11 pm. Next update: 11:00 pm, Saturday, August 2. Confidence level: high. Alternate Route: Highway 99 North of Squamish through Lillooet which connects with Cariboo Hwy 97. Motorists should allow extra time, exercise caution and obey traffic control personnel. Updated on Sat Aug 2 at 5:33 pm. (ID# 66107)

================

Looking good! :D

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah!!! Did my long run today so I will have some legs for Monday. The weather should be lovely. Can one of you bring a cooler? I was going to go buy one and all I could find were the cheapie, squeaky, plastic ones.
Khai, which day lot do you want to meet in? I think I am starting in Whistler with you all rather than Pemberton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Yeah!!! Did my long run today so I will have some legs for Monday.
Darn it. I tried, but my lungs gave out. I'm avec puffer now though so I'm going to try again tomorrow morning.

Alright, who can hook me up with a ride on Monday? Anyone? Bueller?

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Alright, who can hook me up with a ride on Monday? Anyone? Bueller?

I can! I have room for 2 more bikes & 2 passengers ... Where in Vancouver are you?

my support:

Pacific Multisport
Quote Reply

Prev Next