Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New article on Brick workouts [ericreid421] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't, for the life of me, figure out what kind of point you were trying to make.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: New article on Brick workouts [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that the best reason to do a brick w/o is to get your bike pace (power) dialed in so that you can run your race effectively. Otherwise, I find the transition is really only 5-10 minutes I could have spent running or riding more. Plus if I have to get back to house/car/track to run then I often have to cut my ride short and pick a less than ideal route. That all being said, riding my bike to the track at an easy pace instead of getting in my car is way cool.
Quote Reply
Re: New article on Brick workouts [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been doing "combo" workouts off and on for a while now. I loathe the word "brick" as it makes me think of a slow run after a slow bike.

The workouts go something like this..

warm up

10-15 min Z4+ effort on the bike, TT interval, faster than race pace, ending at the track or similar run path.

Transition to Run.

3-9 min run at faster than race pace get up to speed right away and hold it.

Followed by recovery of 5-10 min walk, hydrate, etc.

This is done 1-3 times

Cool down.

This was done quite a bit at the OTC, but is was on trainers at the track. The key is to do the set 2 or more times through to get the full benefit.

That being said, however, this is the only workout where I think it is a good idea to go right from bike to run.

If you want to work on your run and you need to "brick", then I think the run should be done first to keep good form, etc.

just my $.02 on the topic
Quote Reply
Re: New article on Brick workouts [siobhan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm training for a oly in september and a coach has a plan for me that has tempo runs (3 building to 8 miles) after my "long" bike ride (about 30 miles). Is that a good idea or is it too much considering I'm doing speed work during the week as well?

I'd take most of the good advice that others on the thread have given, basically

1) Its an effective means to add run mileage for time constrained non-elite athletes (i.e. 99% of us)
2) Its effective for building endurance if that's a weakness
3) Good for beginner triathletes who may benefit from experience of running on tired legs
4) Can benefit about anyone if the run is relatively short and done at faster than race pace
5) Should NOT be done if it tires you out too much to complete your regular quality runs

I'm no coach, but if your long bike is 30 miles, then you probably would benefit in terms of building endurance, but maybe should wean yourself once your long ride is 60+ miles. I did almost identical workouts the first couple years of triathlon, and for Olympic racing (most of what I train for) still do an occaissional 50mi bike followed by 5-6 mile tempo run, but my "main" composite workout is now the Z4 bike followed by interval run workout I posted above. Hope this helps.

------------------------------------------------------------
some days you're the windshield some days the bug
Quote Reply

Prev Next