Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Silverman race report - first IM (super long, lots of photos) [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome report! Thank you and it totally makes me want to do this race next year! Great job and well done!
Quote Reply
Re: Silverman race report - first IM (super long, lots of photos) [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Silverman is now at the top of my list for my first IM -- what a beautiful course. Thanks for the great RR!

--
"Rock and roll, dude." -- Dave Z., on winning TTs in all 3 Grand Tours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's awesome to read a race report from the race that I want to do as my 1st ironman, from a person who did it as their first ironman. I can't imagine what it feels like to have nobody in sight in front of you or behind you, and the view you get at the same time (while your'e racing!!!). Yeah I decided silverman would be my 1st ironman last year when I saw this kid I noticed in the results who had destroyed my age group at a couple of other races i'd been to (nathan muldoon, his 1st IM too I think). So yeah I hope to be there in '09!!

-------------------------
"I like to start out slow, and then taper off."

-Doug Thorne (TVHS XC)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wicked cool RR. And kick arse debut IM. Your write up and pictures almost make me miss living in Vegas. Almost.

About your extended New Zealand vacation. Now that sounds cool. How about a little Slowtwitch blog about your experiences? I would love to read that.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That bike course looks evil in terms of difficulty, but the quality of the road sure looks top-notch. Was it that way throughout?

---------------

Kicking butt and writing down people's names since 2001
Quote Reply
Re: Silverman race report - first IM (super long, lots of photos) [cooterbob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The pics really captured the course. Just beautiful. Many thanks.

And, your Dad and friends need to tell the official races photographers where to stand to take the pictures!
----------------------
My words exactly ! Tremendous pics and report , well done mate !

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" - Les Brown
"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment" - Jim Rohn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on a great race and thanks for the detailed rr.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! I think you should write a book "8 Weeks to a 12:3x Silverman Ironman". Wow!! You're going to totally rock at NZ!!! Congrats again and thanks for the great RR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great report! Thank you for the photos. I did the race and those photos make me tired just looking at them.
For those considering the race, good camping at Boulder Beach just up from the swim start.
Quote Reply
Re: Silverman race report - first IM (super long, lots of photos) [Sasquatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome race! and by far one of the best race reports posted to ST. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice report.

I think that race just made my "must do" list. I don't really like Vegas.. but this race... I might just go back.

What's the NZ adventure? I had the opportunity to train for 3 months in ChristChurch in 2004... fond memories...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wonderful reports and pics. Hopefully you can find some of the links as I see several red X boxes instead of those beautiful pictures!

Thanks,
Fred.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best race report I've read in a long time!

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lost my motivation to race after IM AZ earlier this year and Superfrog a couple of months ago, your report and the stunning pictures have brought it back. Congrats on your fine race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race report and even better photos. I rode part of the in-town course this weekend and kept thinking, "Dang...I wonder what this hill must have felt like after 90 miles of riding down by the lake. Ooooff."

The Outdoor Journey: latest article - Profile of SlowTwitcher: Dr. Jodi Thomson
Quote Reply
Re: Silverman race report - first IM (super long, lots of photos) [synchronicityII] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Nice report.

I think that race just made my "must do" list. I don't really like Vegas.. but this race... I might just go back.

What's the NZ adventure? I had the opportunity to train for 3 months in ChristChurch in 2004... fond memories...

Thanks!
The NZ adventure is 5-9 months of living, exploring, training, and working on the south island. Headquartered in Queenstown. Doesn't suck so far. Don't expect it to, either.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Silverman race report - first IM (super long, lots of photos) [Sidestroker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
That bike course looks evil in terms of difficulty, but the quality of the road sure looks top-notch. Was it that way throughout?

Rough road from mile 39-45 and then (same stretch of road) 57-63. The other 100 miles was billiard-table smooth and generally very clean.

Eliot
Quote Reply
Re: Silverman race report - first IM (super long, lots of photos) [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Congrats! I think you should write a book "8 Weeks to a 12:3x Silverman Ironman". Wow!! You're going to totally rock at NZ!!! Congrats again and thanks for the great RR.

Thanks! The book would be shorter than the race report!
"Build big base. Sign up for race. Do reckless and impulsive things to body in last 8 weeks. Put head in a good place. Race hard."

:)

Eliot
Quote Reply
Re: Silverman race report - first IM (super long, lots of photos) [jcurtis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

About your extended New Zealand vacation. Now that sounds cool. How about a little Slowtwitch blog about your experiences? I would love to read that.

One step ahead of ya. Not much there yet but will grow quickly as I put my camera through its paces. linky

Eliot
Quote Reply
Re: Silverman race report - first IM (super long, lots of photos) [Xterraguy15-19] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I can't imagine what it feels like to have nobody in sight in front of you or behind you, and the view you get at the same time (while your'e racing!!!).

I imagine it's similar to leading a race, but I wouldn't know anything about that.
I really hope you get to experience this race!

Eliot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice report and great photos. I am really struck by how alone you are out there on the bike course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You sure you did the right course???????????? where are all of the other runners and riders?????!!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Silverman race report - first IM (super long, lots of photos) [Jim @ LOTO, MO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"Congratulations" hardly seems sufficient for what you did, Eliot. I can't imagine making Silverman my first iron-distance triathlon AND marathon. And to finish it in 11:35? Well, that's just remarkable. As one of those in the back-of-the-pack at Silverman, I can't imagine what it took--physically and mentally--to do that.

Thanks so much for the report. And a special thanks to your dad for the photos. I must say, though, that no photographs could do justice to the beauty of that bike course. Coming from the Midwest and never having seen a desert/mountain landscape, I was overwhelmed by its beauty. It was truly stunning. I'm not exaggerating when I say it was among the most beautiful places I've ever seen.

Ditto to everything you said about Frank and Meghann Lowery. What they've done in creating and organizing this race is incredible. Long live Silverman!

Congratulations, again!

Jim
Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri

Thanks Jim! I bet you were overwhelmed by the scenery... The landscape, combined with the race production and camaraderie among those of us silly enough to sign up are what make that a memorable day. Over the years there will be a lot of races I will forget, but this is not one of them!
Congrats to you on your accomplishment.

Eliot
Quote Reply
Re: Silverman race report - first IM (super long, lots of photos) [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
That is one of the best race reports I've read on this forum with great photos too! Awesome! This actually does the race director of this event a huge service. Well done!

Thanks Tom! I don't mind stirring the pot for races that are so well-produced.

Eliot
Quote Reply
Re: Silverman race report - first IM (super long, lots of photos) [BottomFeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
They shoulda DQ'ed you for not shaving.

Ahhh; overrated. :)

Eliot
Quote Reply

Prev Next