Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How much $ do you spend?
Quote | Reply
How much money, time, etc. will you spend to race next season? Honestly: race fees, travel, coaching, equipment, nutrition? Is anyone in the over $25,000 category? What percentage of your income will you spend and is it to the detriment of other things in your life...

"ah-hem...the time is yours."
Quote Reply
Re: How much $ do you spend? [stevezelinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know man, but it is alot. Did Florida 70.3 this year, plus IMLP. Wife is doing LP and I am doing IM Moo. Plus, going to Clearwater next month for the 70.3 thing. She got a new road bike, I got a new road bike, plus I am looking at a new Tri bike. Coach is $100/mth, Pool/gym is $85/mth, I eat like a horse, I train 15 hrs a week....

Oh the horror....

But I love it. I feel great, she is happy, plus, what the hell else would we do?

--------------------------------------------------------
John Behme
Charlotte, NC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Next year I will spend in the $10K range. This includes a new bike, and IMFL. Some years are more than others.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I figure next year I will spend $2000 or so. No big races are planned, just local stuff, so that $2K will be for a new frameset (Cervelo P2K), my annual fee for the sports facility and masters program, and a new pair of running shoes in the spring.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've probably spent $10,000 on bikes and new equipment.

probably $2,000 on tires, chains, cassettes and other maintenance items.

probably $1,000 on race entry fees.

probably $2,000 on costs related to travel to races.

probably tens of thousands of dollars in cost of manhours lost lurking and posting on Slowtwitch.

But what it's returned to me is ... priceless. Worth every penny.

And I'm in a happy place now with my equipment, so next year should be easier on the wallet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't want to know.

----------
Fortitudine Vincimus
Quote Reply
Re: How much $ do you spend? [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Assuming no new bike frame...probably about $1000 for tires/chain/maintenance, nutrition, running shoes, running shirts/shorts, etc.

Mad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would NEVER want to add that up!! :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was just looking at that in Quicken yesterday.
  • Cycling $2,800
  • Nutrition $300
  • Race Travel $1,300
  • Race entries $2,200
  • Running $200
  • Shared Apparel $300
  • Swimming $350
  • Other(cross-training) $200

Total around $8,000 for the last 12 months

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm just converting to Quicken and decided this is one thing I need to track. I'm still inputting & sorting data from 2006, but it's not looking good. It really was a wake up call as to how much I spend. And 2006 included no HUGE expenses like an IM or a new bike, just the basics of racing, training, keeping up with equipment, gym fees, workout clothes, etc. Way less than $25,000 but way more than I realized.

----
Suffering on the the bike is always more fun than suffering on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And people wonder why the 18-24 age group is so small. Seriously. I'm a 22 year old student and have to do my tri's on a second hand steel frame. Even then, there are so many expenses associated just with training that make this sport inaccessable to many people my age.

even with hard core penny pinching, i probably made it though the season spending about $1500-$2000

Quote | Reply
want to race as much as you want next season, get a few bike trinkets too, but still save 80% of your costs? ask me how.

(answer: save some big bundles of cash by not doing any ironman-brand races.)

Where would you want to swim ?
Last edited by: Greg x: Oct 3, 06 10:13
Quote Reply
Re: How much $ do you spend? [mtlRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in the same position, stuff is expensive! Bikes especially, but I'm working on convincing my parents to help me buy one and call it my xmas gifts.
On the other hand, the benefit of being a college student is that I'm not paying for pool time or coaching (college coach coaches me, separately from his running teams). Pool time is expensive, apparently!

To answer the original question... I have nooo idea, and am not even sure how to go about estimating it.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How much $ do you spend? [Greg x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
want to race as much as you want next season, get a few bike trinkets too, but still save 80% of your costs?

No because the more you spend, the faster you are, right?

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"And people wonder why the 18-24 age group is so small. Seriously. I'm a 22 year old student and have to do my tri's on a second hand steel frame ... "

Conversely, they wonder why the 45, 50, 55 year old folks can be so strong. Many of them are at a place in life where the kids are gone, the job is settled, they have time to train and money for the best goodies. (Experience talking ... oh, except for the strong part.)

Bob C.

The "science" on any matter can never be settled until every possible variable is taken into account.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
after ice hockey.... triathlons really aren't that bad..

Grant

Grant
----------------------------------------------------
Proudly sponsored by Desoto Sports
Please Support CAF every little bit helps http://raceforareason.kintera.org/grantreuter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wife and her greyhounds: 250-400/mo

Matt and his triathlons: 3500/annual (Bought a new bike)

Wife and her triathlons: 75/mo

Matt Amman
Quote Reply
Re: How much $ do you spend? [cyclonehockey21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]after ice hockey.... triathlons really aren't that bad..

Grant[/reply]
I know nothing about ice hockey (although growing up in NY with a last name of Esposito, I was forever asked if I was related to Phil and Tony). What make it so expensive?
Quote Reply
Re: How much $ do you spend? [chrisesposito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ice time mostly.

My first travel season oct-march or so was 1200 just for ice time. then everyother weekend we had a two night hotel stay + travel expenses. so another 100-300 every other weekend depending on where we stayed just on hotels.

then i had spring league and summer league which were another 400 a piece.

So it starts adding up thats not even counting equipment and hockey sticks that i went through.

Grant

Grant
----------------------------------------------------
Proudly sponsored by Desoto Sports
Please Support CAF every little bit helps http://raceforareason.kintera.org/grantreuter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spend about $500 year on entry fees and ~$400 replacing equipment (running shoes, bike tires, chain). I've found penny pinching is very relative, and there will always be someone cheaper than me and much more frivolous than me in the exact same circumstances. But it's no wonder not many people sign up for IM's our age. I'm fortunate to work for a bike shop to offset some costs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot. But most of that is travel costs and I'd travel whether I raced or not. It's all what is important to you.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree. Its no wonder the 18-24 category is so small, how could I ever afford the IMNA entry fee? I am a grad student(I study the association between colon cancer and type 2 diabetes) with a pathetic stipend and I can barely afford to train. I was lucky that my parents bought me a new road bike this year as an undergrad graduation gift, but last month I had to halt my running training until I sold more of my used textbooks. Then I could buy shoes to train in!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"people wonder why the 18-24 age group is so small."

I was talking to Litespeed Smith about that a few days ago. He's 19 and has a Litespeed Blade and Blue Rc4. He also took the past year off to work before going to university so he could purchase these nice bikes.

LS was telling me the university that he wants to attend next year has a tri club with about 100 members and 90% are female. We concluded that young women are probably much more willing to show up on old clunker bikes that fit within their student budget than are the guys. The toys are more of a male ego thing and when young guys feel they can't afford the coolest bike, they stay out of the sport altogether in many cases.
Quote Reply
Re: How much $ do you spend? [McGillTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL. Last year at the end of undergrad I had to donate blood plasma a few times to get money to buy new running shoes so my feet would stop hurting me. I'm a grad student now, so I can't sell these textbooks like I could in undergrad!
Last edited by: sleepy: Oct 3, 06 9:13
Quote Reply
Re: How much $ do you spend? [linhardt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like your practice of tracking this in Quicken. I will probably set this up in Excel. In any case it is an excellent way of getting out of denial about how much we're spending. Thanks for the idea.
Quote Reply

Prev Next