Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
RACE DIRECTORS REASON FOR CANCELLING THE BOSTON TRIATHLON
Quote | Reply
Why did we cancel?

This past weekend, Josh Nemzer and I, along with our entire DMSE team, were faced with perhaps the most gut wrenching decision of DMSE’s 25-year history. It was the question of whether or not to cancel the 2006 Boston Triathlon given the severe weather forecast. Ultimately, it was cancelled and we want to explain to all of our athletes, sponsors and volunteers exactly what went into this difficult and most challenging decision.

In the week leading up to the race we watched the track of hurricane Ernesto and the path the storm would take. The forecast called for inclement conditions throughout race weekend. Our first concern was about the water quality due to heavy rain.

We monitored the weather forecast hour-by-hour and were in constant contact with a representative from the National Weather Service (NWS) who provided us with continuous updates.

All the information we were receiving indicated a 90% chance of high winds and significant rain fall. As it turned out, Saturday brought no rain but there was an 8-9 foot chop in the harbor and wind gusts up to 22 mph.

At 11am on Saturday, we convened a committee of 11 to discuss and determine our course of action. Those people included a representative from ITU, a representative from USA Triathlon and DMSE medical coordinator, swim coordinator, bike coordinator and other experienced DMSE consultants.

The general consensus at that time was to eliminate the swim segment due to the high chop, high winds, chilly temperatures (64 degrees) and the strong probability of water quality deterioration. The discussion turned to consideration of a run-bike-run event (Plan B). Although not ideal, we had already planned for such an occurrence and had designed a course and plan for both the age group participants as well as the elite/pros. However, we were informed by ITU that the first elite/pro run needed to be 10K in length while the second run would be 5K…we were hoping for the opposite based on our existing timeline. This format would throw our timeline off such that the bike segment of this event now would have extended another 30 minutes or so more than what we had permission to do so by State/Local authorities.

We informed all the athletes checking in on Saturday to check the race web site at 6pm Saturday for further details on the status of the event.

After both the elite/pro meeting and the age group meeting, a few of us convened once again to re-assess the situation, once again calling the NWS for an update. It became very apparent that two things would occur on Sunday – we would have a lot of rain and it would be very windy…these two would be a dangerous combination on this particular course.

At that time (around 5:45pm Saturday), Josh and I, along with the ITU and USAT representatives, met to make the final decision. We believed that both the swim and the bike course would be UNSAFE for the athletes and thus made the decision to CANCEL the event. We have managed over 700 events and never have cancelled an event before. This was not a quick decision. In fact, it was perhaps the most difficult decision I have ever had to make as a race director. We wanted to communicate it as quickly and to as many people as possible. That communication included:
  • A statement posted to the official race website.
  • An e-mail sent to all competitors who had previously supplied us with their e-mail address when they registered.
  • The race hotline phone message also reflected the cancellation. We called as many organizations and individuals involved in the race as possible to inform them of our decision.

Why did we decide to cancel on Saturday at 6pm versus wait until Sunday morning? We put trust in the weather reports we were receiving and felt cancellation was inevitable. Thus, we felt it would be unfair to “inconvenience” hundreds and hundreds of individuals by making them come into the World Trade Center only to find out that we were cancelling the event. As it turned out, it started raining at about 4am on Sunday and as such validated our decision to cancel given the rain and wind on this “urban” course.

What were the main reasons for this cancellation?
  1. Concern for the safety of ALL competitors.
  2. Unsafe swim course – chop, strong currents, low temperatures, deterioration of water quality, concern for lifeguards and boats in the water (note: cruise ships even cancelled their service due to unsafe conditions).
  3. We have time and time again emphasized the fact that this is an urban/metropolitan course. This is not a rural, countryside venue. This is the Big Dig, this is the asphalt jungle (no disrespect for the city). In a flash, roads, catch basins, sewer covers, steel grates, light poles and much more can come and go. We even had to deal with a tunnel collapse. We didn’t know from day to day what we were going to get BUT we were on top of it and we did make sure in one way or another it is safe for the competitors. Producing an urban triathlon is exciting, however, it does come with a number of risks. We continuously made everyone aware of that.
  4. With wind and rainy conditions the pot holes fill, oil coats the road, and road paint and steel bridges all become slick and hazardous, and the course simply becomes exponentially difficult to maintain.

Our pre-race position on safety is clearly stated in the application. We discuss cancellation of the event in order to assure the safety of our all our participants.

Post race comments such as the one below are reflective of the vast majority of communications received:

“With this e-mail, I would like to express my unequivocal support for your decision to cancel the 2006 Boston Triathlon. I know that it was difficult to call off an event that you had been planning all year, but I know you made the right choice. You placed the athletes' safety above everything else. I wish more race directors had the kind of courage and good judgment you showed yesterday evening. Thank you once again for your exemplary decision making process on Saturday. I support your decision without reservation.”

We are ALL very, very disappointed. Everyone – athletes, sponsors and management – invested a lot into this event. We must all be in this together. Our primary goal has always been the safety of all involved with the race.

A few of us drove out onto the bike course Sunday morning during the rain around the time the bike segment would have been happening. Without question, bike accidents would have occurred. Based on what we experienced and what we saw, we know the right decision was made. More importantly, we know that based on our decision, no one got hurt.

Regarding our next steps, it will take us a few weeks to sort out all the ramifications of cancelling the event. We want to make sure that we take the fairest course of action. There are a wide range of options being considered. We will continue to use this website as the primary mechanism for communicating our decisions as well as our action steps. Please be patient. We are working on this as quickly as we can. We will be back in touch.

We want express our appreciation to all those who support our decision and for everyone’s understanding.

Dave McGillivray
Josh Nemzer

We have managed over 700 events and never have cancelled an event before. This was not a quick decision.

and they have done a great job at all those 700 too, i might add. These guys are the elite of the RD world, they know what's right and knew how much heat the right decsion would bring them, but had to do what they had to do.
Quote Reply
Re: RACE DIRECTORS REASON FOR CANCELLING THE BOSTON TRIATHLON [Kiri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you imagine a scenario where they would have to cancel the Boston *Marathon*? That's essentially what it was like for them to cancel the Boston Triathlon. Both are run by Dave McGillivray, who's a great athlete and race director. He and his staff didn't make this decision lightly. He's gone through hoops to run this race, without a major sponsor (last year).

Believe it or not, there are folks in the city who want to make events like this as big as the Boston Marathon. In fact, there's a group at city hall that wants to bring some cycling races into the city.
Last edited by: makattack: Sep 7, 06 6:03
Quote Reply
Re: RACE DIRECTORS REASON FOR CANCELLING THE BOSTON TRIATHLON [makattack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think comparing canceling this event to the cancellation of the marathon is a little bit of an over reach.

First of all, running in the rain and wind is inherently safer than swimming or biking unless the conditions are really extreme. Second of all, despite our love of triathlon, at this point the marathon is a MUCH bigger deal to the rest of the world than the tri is. DMSE pissed off/disappointed a small closely-knit community by canceling this weekend's event. Canceling the marathon would have far wider repercussions.

In any case, to those folks who ended up getting screwed. I'm really sorry and I hope DMSE does the right thing and takes care of you in an appropriate manner.
Quote Reply
Re: RACE DIRECTORS REASON FOR CANCELLING THE BOSTON TRIATHLON [Trigirlpink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What were the main reasons for this cancellation?

"We did not plan a course that could be raced in inclement conditions".

Period.

Whether such a course could have been planned for such conditions is another issue. They should have been able to look at the course months prior to the event, realize the shortcomings, and said on their registration "In case of inclement weather, the race will be cancelled and no refunds will be provided." That would have been honest and responsible.
Quote Reply
Re: RACE DIRECTORS REASON FOR CANCELLING THE BOSTON TRIATHLON [Tri Fold] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One thing that people from out of town might not realize is that it doesn't take too much rainfall for the Harbor to become nasty. It was for this reason that I have never signed up for this race. The chances of going to a duathlon format are just too high and for the price I want to make sure I get a full race in. Oh..yeah, I should also mention that the roads in Boston are wicked shitty. The race has been lucky, unfortanetly, that luck ran out.

"I really wish you would post more often. You always have some good stuff to say. I copied it below just in case someone missed it." BarryP to Chainpin on 10/21/06

Quote Reply
Re: RACE DIRECTORS REASON FOR CANCELLING THE BOSTON TRIATHLON [etocaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally understand the poison filled, run off induced water ( you wouldnt catch me swimming in B. harbor)

Totally dont understand the "8-9 foot chop". Maybe at the Harbor mouth but as an avid surfer who follows water conditions, there is no way these people would have encountered 9 foot chop.
Quote Reply
Re: RACE DIRECTORS REASON FOR CANCELLING THE BOSTON TRIATHLON [Trigirlpink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This could be summed up as "We didn't really think this through as well as we should have, and this is our spin."

There is no way there was "8-9 foot chop" at the race site. There was an East wind, which means there was only a fetch of 1/2 mile.
To measure the waves at the mouth of the harbor several miles away is lame.

The current would not be appreciably affected by the weather, especially with only .25 inches of rainfall.

IMO, it is especially low for them to try and throw the blame on the Big Dig as if it caught them by surprise that there was construction going on downtown.

They may run excellent and well organized races, but not this past weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: RACE DIRECTORS REASON FOR CANCELLING THE BOSTON TRIATHLON [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was on the Cape, which was hit far worse than Boston, and there wasn't really anything resembling a 8-9 foot chop. Anyone who's from the Boston / MA / NE area knows that the cape surf is much more severe than Boston.

That's not to say that the water wasn't safe for swimming because it was rougher than usual, but 8-9 "chop" is tremendous hyperbole. If you know where the race site is, you'd know that only a serious storm could bring any sort of 8-9 foot wave action into the South Boston waterfront.

All that being said, I understand why they did cancel the race -- but Spicoli's correct, they should have had some sort of disclaimer or warning months in advance considering they knew what type of course they have.

----------------------------------------------------------
Existence precedes Essence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All of this is great, BUT, if they took money for registration on Sat, knowing what they knew based on this letter, then, what do you say? They did not touch on this issue.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: RACE DIRECTORS REASON FOR CANCELLING THE BOSTON TRIATHLON [Jeff Spicoli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sail a lot in Bostons inner harbor, out of Piers Park on 23' Sonar sloops.

I've hit some pretty waves on windy days, but I agree that 8-9' is a stretch. I've had more like 5' chop that break over the bow of a boat. Doesn't take much more than a big draft boat doing 10 knts down the channel to generate some crazy chop. Even though it's not making much of a wake, it gets reflected and bounced around in that harbor like crazy. They're not going to be able to stop boating traffic in such a busy harbor -- unless an LNG tanker is coming through!

People need to realize the cancellation wasn't just because of the swim conditions -- they had already canceled that portion and turned it into a Duathlon before canceling the entire race. The bike would have really been hazardous. I can't see how anyone can completely carpet the bridge going into Charlestown (in both directions!) -- it's a metal grated bridge. Look straight down, and you'll see the water of Boston Harbor passing under your wheels! Not to mention all the sharp, bumpy turns and water filled potholes.
Quote Reply
Re: RACE DIRECTORS REASON FOR CANCELLING THE BOSTON TRIATHLON [makattack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not just hold a 10k run, then, for those that want to do something?

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: RACE DIRECTORS REASON FOR CANCELLING THE BOSTON TRIATHLON [Jeff Spicoli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep i'm calling BS on the chop too, 5-6 is more likely, if that. I have seen the inner Harbor during the height of Nor'easters and there is no way the waves were approaching 10ft. Who knows maybe things were that bad that day, but the bottom line is this is a race that has always had a high probability of being shortened due to rain, thus, for the $ it just doesn't make a lot of sense.

"I really wish you would post more often. You always have some good stuff to say. I copied it below just in case someone missed it." BarryP to Chainpin on 10/21/06

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was the question of whether or not to cancel the 2006 Boston Triathlon given the severe weather forecast

Were those the same forecasts we all looked at on Saturday?

Understand the these RD's are likely the cream of the crop, but they made a mistake with this one, from planning to non-execution. End of story.
Quote Reply
Re: RACE DIRECTORS REASON FOR CANCELLING THE BOSTON TRIATHLON [Mike C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How many people do you think will actually take a chance and sign up for this next year when registration opens knowing they have not come up with Plan B if it rains next year?

[url]http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KBOS/2006/9/3/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA[/url]

That's what the weather actually was in boston on the 3rd.

I won't be signing up next year. I did it as my first triathlon last year, and it was fun to bike/run through Boston. But the swim was nasty, and they had to have people to pull you out of the water as there wasn't a ramp/beach/anything to walk out of the water with.

Plus, $100 is damn expensive for a sprint.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i know everybody means well, and i agree there are elements of this that appear to have not been executed as well as might've been the case. also, i wasn't there, and didn't see any of this occur. that said...

i'm calling for us to give dave mcgillivray and his team one free pass, and i'm saying this for a variety of reasons.

first, dave has earned at least one get out of jail free card for his service to triathlon over the past 20 years or so. yes, it's not volunteer work it's his business. you could say the same for soldiers or firemen, who also draw paychecks, so volunteerism alone can't be a prerequisite granting one accolades for performance above and beyond. our sport's premier race directors, of which dave is in a league you can count on one hand, do go above and beyond. putting on an urban triathlon is (what's the right phrase?) a monster challenge.

dave is not a wimp. apart from his RD accomplishments, he ran across the united states, 50 miles a day every day. he knows that triathlon is not a sport for wimps, and he is not the sort to dumb down his race to lowest common athletic denominator. if he thought the race needed to be called, i can rest assured it was not without an awful lot of hand wringing first.

as for the reasons the race was called, i think the question is not properly whether the chop was 3, 5, 7 or 9 feet. for me, the question is, was the chop in the same ballpark as the chop in lake utah when a tough judgment call was made in the other direction? what we do know is that nobody died in the boston race this past weekend. what we don't know is whether anybody would've. the RD is the only guy who can make this decision for the field of racers, and part of the $100 you pay is for him, not you, to have to make that call and accept the consequences of it.

i remember the second ever (i think it was) triathlon world championship in orlando, florida. what most people remember is karen smyers coming from nowhere on the run and upsetting a field that on paper was superior. or they remembered the men's race, or the bike and run through disney world. what they do not remember, and in fact did not know, was that dave mcgillivray took a huge financial bath in that race, with disney wanting what seemed to me unreasonable sums of money from dave, presenting him with a monstrous bill for services that were or were not properly rendered. it was dave against the disney corporation, and it was notable the speed with which everyone in the triathlon world who sidled up to dave prior to the race ran from dave after the bills were presented (they were his partners "in spirit"). it took years to sort it all through, and i remember asking dave from time to time how things were going, and listening to a train wreck of experiences. dave made good on all of it, got it all squared away, many months and some years after all the athletes ceased basking in the race's afterglow. that was 16 years ago.

RDs are like lawyers who work on contingencies. sometimes you work for months and months on a project, and you just plainly lose. some you win, some you lose. that's what race directing is like. where it's different than lawyering is that lawyers might make decisions about people who've already died. RDs get to make decisions that cause people to die. dave's decision this past weekend was one in dozens he's no doubt made over the past couple of decades where it's very possible a person dies because of your own mental coin flip. at least generals draw a sure paycheck when they send soldiers out in harm's way. RDs do it every weekend, and in many cases lose money for the privilege.

as sure as the sun comes up i'll get the holier-than-thou, righteously indignant response to what i've just written. it'll say, "how dare you compare war and soldiers to race directors and triathlon!" this will come from someone who has neither sent anyone to war, been sent to war, or has ever had to make that next-of-kin phone call because of a decision he made. i know several RDs who have had to make that phone call. i know at least one RD who's had to make it more than once. this is not how it's said, but here's how it feels when you say it: "i'm so sorry to tell you this, but your husband died today. he'd be alive and with you now were it not for my decision to hold a race in which he entered. he'd be alive and still engaged in husbanding and parenting were it not for my decision to hold a race in questionable conditions. i exercised my judgment, it turned out badly, your family is the casualty."

so after 20 or 25 years of wondering every race whether you're going to have to make that phone call today, i reckon dave gets the right to exercise his judgment on the side of safety. i think you'll probably see changes in next year's event that take into account what's learned this year. but as for contingency plans, RDs never make these up in advance because there's just not enough time, people or money in this game to consider the 6 or 9 most likely adverse scenarios and what the organization will do in each case. in race dirrecting, like war, you make your battle plan and then react to what happens.

you guys can continue to pick this apart if you want, but at some point we're just eating our young. within the last 12 hours it's variously been a wetsuit manufacturer, a multisport retailer, this race director, and a journalist writing swim technique articles ;-) who've come under the scrutiny of this forum's wiser commentarians. in the case of boston's race, you were all investors in dave's business project. several hundred times, your investments in dave have paid off. this time, it didn't, but it would have had the weather been more cooperative. of course it wasn't my $100 that got lost, but i wish you'd all just see it against the backdrop of historic performance when you make your judgments.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ultimately it is easier to explain (and take genuine responsibility for) a cancellation than a dead body.

Good move. The move they should have made at, what was it? Ironman Utah? One drowning is one too many (obviously).

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: RACE DIRECTORS REASON FOR CANCELLING THE BOSTON TRIATHLON [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan

Thank you for posting this. I agree with you completely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Why did we cancel?

given the severe weather forecast.
In the week leading up to the race we watched the track of hurricane Ernesto and the path the storm would take. As it turned out, Saturday brought no rain but there was an 8-9 foot chop in the harbor and wind gusts up to 22 mph.

high chop, high winds, chilly temperatures (64 degrees) We even had to deal with a tunnel collapse.

I feel like I am piling on, but this sounds like a load of bull (excuses, not real reasons and a lot of exagerration), the kind of stuff our own government likes to pass off.

I don't know how the forecast, even at it's worst was "severe". Is there a definition of "severe" weather (ie wind greater than x mph, more than x inches of rain)? If there is I do not think the Sunday forecast meets the definition, making the RDs description of the weather inaccurate.

Don't know why they felt the need to include the term "hurricane" in their description, since the storm headed for Boston was neither a hurricane, tropical depression, or a tropical storm when it was within a 1000 miles or so.

8-9 foot chop in the harbor? This sounds really high, can anyone confirm this is accurate?

22 mph gusts are not that much. Somehow they deal with wind gusts twice as high in Kona every year.

If you think 64 degreees is too cold for racing, no races hould ever be planned north of the Mason-Dixon line.

I would love to know what direct relation the tunnel collapse (not even an actual collapse, but some panels fell. I realize they were large panels and someone died, but I do not think this qualifies as a collpase in the first place) had on the race. I am sorry but listing this in an explanation of why the race was cancelled, is total baloney. This is the one that takes away all credibility from the RDs excuses.

As other said, there was essentially no contingency plan that could accomodate anything other than nearly perfect conditions. If you mess up admit. I wouldn't fault anyone for that.
Last edited by: Tri_yoda: Sep 7, 06 14:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...earch_string;#959411

Where to start? The above is a post I made Sunday morning with a screen scrape from a Web cam of Boston Harbor. 9 foot chop? There was no such thing going on...

I appreciate that it's easy to be a Monday morning QB, and second guess after the fact, but the explanation on the website is really unsatisfactory. I also appreciate the history of Dave and his years of excellent races. I don't doubt for a second this was a really tough call for him. And, I hope the Boston Triathlon will continue because I did it last year, and enjoyed it. I would have considered it for this year if I didn't have other plans come up for the long weekend. My only issue with these events is that we have at least one STer who handed money to DMSE (One for USAT fees on a comped entry) on mid-to late Saturday afternoon, and was not informed that the race may be cancelled. From my armchair perspective, it appears that they were accepting money for registration for a race that was about to be cancelled. You know, I may be wrong(and I hope I am), and may regret bringing this up, but I got a few confirmations from people who were there. Hopefully, they will make this all good, but right now it's a little unsettling to me. I'll stay tuned....
Quote Reply
Re: RACE DIRECTORS REASON FOR CANCELLING THE BOSTON TRIATHLON [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan, there is only one question the RD has not seemed to answer. Folks have said he was taking money during the afternoon for registration fees. Now, your piece did not touch on this key issue, IMO. Everything else seems fine, but if he was taking money, knowing it looked like he was going to cancel, or high probability he was, can you help me out, based on his background, a justification for doing this?

Now, if he told folks there was a chance he was going to cancel, and said he would return their money if he did, then no question, he gets a free pass. But so far he has not addressed this one key question that I have seen. I could live with everything else that happened, but this question, as you say, I am looking for the facts before making a judgment.

Dave

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: RACE DIRECTORS REASON FOR CANCELLING THE BOSTON TRIATHLON [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got a response to that very question finally after emailing Dave myself

I wrote: First Name: Elaine Middle Initial: Last Name: DeBitetto Address: Suite/Apt: City: State: Zip: Daytime Phone: Evening Phone: Comments: Hi-
I don't think it was a responsible decision as a race director to allow people throughout the day on Saturday to sign up and pay $100 without your staff at the registration table informing them that that race may well in fact be cancelled altogether. Even as I was returning my chip,(way after 2pm) and the pro meeting was over, and only hours remained before cancelling the race, you still took athletes money. UNEXCEPTABLE in my book.

... Elaine....at noontime we told our registration folks NOT to take any entries for the reasons you sight below. We totally agree with you and that is why we decided this. I believe only 2-3 people were mistakenly allowed to register as perhaps a few registration volunteers misunderstood. Either way, if you paid by check, we are returning it in full. If you paid by cash, I will write you a check for the full amount and mail it back. Can you let me know and give me your address? And I agree, doing this would have been UNACCEPTABLE. Dave

I can post how I responded if anyone cares to know.

Great, case closed, he gets a pass in my book.

Wow, that was kinda fun, let facts drive the issue, rather than beat the guy totally dead. :o)

Dave

Quote Reply

Prev Next