Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My first ride with Q-Rings...
Quote | Reply
I had my first ride on my new 53-41 135bcd Qrings yesterday morning. They look the part, seem to have all the goodies to make them shift right, and installed super easy. I used the recommended 3rd position for both rings.
To start off with, the pedaling motion with the oval rings is not nearly as extreme as what you’d think by looking at them spin on the stand. My first observation of the ride was that it appears that my wattage had gone up for the same speed in the warm up for the ride. HR seemed to be the same. I really think that the qrings trick my ergomo into calculating more power than what is being applied to the pedals (or pedal in ergomos case). I would quantify it as an additional 20w from a baseline of 220-240 up to 240-260 with the qrings during warm up. As I said before, speed and HR were exactly the same as the million other times I’ve done this loop. The middle of the ride is where it gets interesting. It honestly felt like I could hold a near maximum (cp60) effort for a longer amount of time than with normal rings. I went more on PE vs power, because unquatified Qring “offset” made it difficult to judge. This was “backed up” with a higher than normal average speed for the ride. The bottom line, I really liked the feel of the rings, however, it would be difficult at best in trying to quantify how they actually helped. I have already recommended them to another rider.

I'd like to hear what others think of Q-Rings?

Set up
Cervelo SLC, ergomo, and QRings

Before Qrings
FT = 295w (I had one FT outlier of Pav = 316 for 53 mins in a Team Time Trial, mega effort)

Sundays Ride with QRings
2:02 for 43miles, Pav = 289, Pnorm = 296, Best 60 min Pav = 302

One last thing, do you think mashers benefit for these rings more than spinners?
Quote Reply
Re: My first ride with Q-Rings... [ErnieK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i like them since i found the right position ( i use #-1)
Quote Reply
Re: My first ride with Q-Rings... [harm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What did you notice about improvements before after making the change?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That pretty much sums up my experience. I have have them on my SoloistC - I was expecting to "feel" more after watching them wobble around. I felt virtually nothing. I notice them most standing in the hills. More power and less "surging" - you would think the opposite would be true though. I'm still at position #3 for both road and tri applications - going to try #4 this fall for tri

Quote | Reply
well i only use a qring on my trainings bike. i use a mdt 55t oval ring on my race/tri bike, but the mdt is about the same as the qring in position -#1.

i think i've become faster on the bike and i run faster after the bike (don't know if it has anything to with the rings). i was able to have a bikesplit of <4.40 last weekend [using only 55x11 :) ], my previous PR was 5.02. (although i must admit that i didn't make it to the finish, but that had nothing to do with my biking).

I also had my fastest run splits this year eventhough I haven't done a lot of speed training.
Quote Reply
Re: My first ride with Q-Rings... [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
  • For road bikes, use the default setting as recommended in the user guide (OCP #3)
  • For forward positioned TT and tri bikes, start with the outer Q-Ring OCP #3 setting for two weeks, then try the #4 setting and see how it feels. Each rider has different needs and preferences ... one of the best features of Q-Rings is that the OCP system (multi-position bolt holes) are designed to suit your individual riding habits, body geometry, strength and position on the bike.

As each cyclist has a different pedaling style, the point at which they reach their max force potential is different.
Quote Reply