Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Old Habits Die Hard - A Review of Doug Stern's Level 1 Swim Clinic
Quote | Reply
This can be paired with Doug's thread. I'm the one that didn't 'get it'. I come from a swimming background of being self taught and 1:50 ish/ 100 over a mile or so.

Doug runs a clinic for beginning swimmers or those looking to fix or improve their stroke. Six 1 1/2 hour sessions. Here's my impressions, good and bad mixed together:

Am I faster? Top end (a 25 yd sprint), yes. A ten minute distance trial? NO. Actually, I'm slower. And am exerting more to achieve the same speeds. And that's what I went there to change.
  1. The class has people from quite a spread of experience, which probably makes it very challenging to teach. People learning as adults to people that swim a mile a day. I'm somewhere in the middle of that.
  2. Doug is a 'squeaky wheel gets the grease' coach. This is a big problem if your crappy stoke is good enough to make you one of the fastest two in the class. When 3/4 of the class is struggling to make it down the lane before clutching the other side of the pool, that's where attention gets focused. This leads to...
  3. I discovered in the final swim video, taken in the last 10 min of 540 min of class, that I start pulling way too early - I hurry my stroke. Had this error ever been addressed, I could have/would have worked on it. Maybe that's the key that'll set it all in motion - no way to know.
  4. I (like most here) am a type A information junkie. Why? How? and Show me. I can't learn if I don't see it, hear it, and do it.
  5. There is not as much swimming as I would have liked/expected. I imagine a lot of this has to do with the disparate ability levels, but I can't drill good form if I'm sitting around in the shallow end listening. And I can't be seen and told about what I'm doing wrong unless I swim enough for my turn to come and Doug to get his eyes on me.
  6. Doug has his talking points. Hand-hip, high elbow, release-don't flick, kick up. These are very helpful one-offs to work on and he does a good job of explaining just what he means by these so you can work on that item. He has a couple ways of describing the motions, but as a non-skiier, I guess I didn't get the analogies.
  7. Over in the other thread, I think Kevin in MD had it right - I have a lack of kinesthetic awareness and need a lot more feedback. See comment 2.
  8. Doug is very "Up with People". That's great for some; I am surprised to see it work well in NYC. I, on the other hand, think I need someone who is more pro-active and 'harder'. I like to be told "Stop. No. Why aren't you opening your hip? It goes hand-hip, NOT hand, la de dah hip" If you respond better to a diciplinarion, Doug may not be your guy. Turns out temperament of the coach is important.
  9. In a strange way, Doug is a little hard about being anti-Councilman and Swimming Fastest. I don't know if it's a bit of salesmanship on 'Doug's way' or a deep held belief bubbling up (a lot), but it gets a little tedious. We're here, we've paid $350, we're buying what you're selling, now give us the goods.
  10. Doug really helped me improve some parts of the stroke. I used to do a sort of S-curve (not by design, more by accident), but I've rid my stroke of most of it. Still comes back sometimes, but he certainly put me pretty far down the road.
  11. Overall - I think his class was great, for a certain group. I think private or small (similar level) group lessons might be better for me.

I'm fighting my body, not my mind. I buy into Doug's way. I think in the end I will be more relaxed, but I'm left in this limbo where I got parts of it, but because of what I perceive as inadequate attention, I have huge problems still.

All of this sounds a bit negative, but if you read through, it stems from a core disconnect - I needed to be told more often what I was doing wrong and how exactly to fix it. So....

Doug's Level I Class - RECOMMENDED
Quote Reply
Re: Old Habits Die Hard - A Review of Doug Stern's Level 1 Swim Clinic [one_lap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds exactly like at TI clinic I went to...not as much/enough of everything that I expected (pool time, stroke analysis and specific feedback)...sort of the spin class version of a bike analysis/workout...Much better for very inexperienced swimmers. I'd spend the $ on a one-on-one video analysis of the stroke.
Quote Reply
Re: Old Habits Die Hard - A Review of Doug Stern's Level 1 Swim Clinic [one_lap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny, not sure why you started a new thread so it made it hard for me to decide where to post. Anyway I just finished a weekend with Doug so I thought I'd add some thoughts.

Background-always knew how to float and never had fear of the water but never swam competitively and really just dog paddled or putzed in the pool until I decided to try triathlon 4 y ago. First race was a "supersprint" and after 2 months of training it took me 15" to swim 375 yds-in a wetsuit LOL. Read TI stuff, did a weekend clinic with a local pro, had a local friend help me, did a 8 week course with another triathlete, did a three sessions with Steve Tarpinian, have had a local friend look and help and finally Doug this past weekend.

So I read your review and at the end was surprised to see a "recommended". All the folks I've worked with stress different styles, different parts of the stroke. Some of that I'm sure is teacher's emphasis but some may be where I am at that time in my abilities/flaws. Also some may be a different belief system. I think you get the most out of a clinic by trying the teacher's way -having a beginner's mind as it were and then maybe keeping it, maybe discarding. I don't know that I felt that Doug focused on anyone anymore than anyone else in our course but he, of course, couldn't give one on one teaching. That may be more of what you need.

I smiled to myself on point 8 because I spent half the weekend laughing to myself about what a New Yorker Doug is. He's got the New York potty mouth and I keep wondering how that played 20 miles from Holland, Mi-a town that closes on sunday.;) I think they allow special dispensation for Ferener's.

I do still think the ideal way to improve is to find a program that has a coach on deck that is willing to nag you about your stroke flaws. The clinics can only be a point of guidance. Does that make sense?

Pat
Quote Reply
Re: Old Habits Die Hard - A Review of Doug Stern's Level 1 Swim Clinic [Trillini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry about the split posts. I actually told Doug last night I was going to post a review and had already started it when I noticed his post. Just felt like leaving it and tweaking rather than copying. Also wanted to title it so if someone was searching for info on his class it would be easy to spot.

I find it REALLY funny that you think of Doug as a 'New Yorker' while I find his classroom demeanor a little soft.

As for the recommended: If you read my review, it's basically all the caveats to the recommendation. If you go in knowing these things, you can either decide it's for you or not. I think the information he has to present is outstanding and for the most part he presents it well. I just found that it didn't quite work for me - and I imagine others who are like me would feel similarly, even if they did show improvement.
Quote Reply
Re: Old Habits Die Hard - A Review of Doug Stern's Level 1 Swim Clinic [Trillini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Makes sense.

BTW are you a New Yorker? My mom grew up on Staten Island, and I really enjoy New Yorkers. I believe I can pick them out from a 100 feet. I know a stereotype is never attractive but there you have it. The directness does sometimes take midwesterners aback. On the other hand in the south I always have to remind myself to "visit" first.

Pat
Quote Reply