Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: this is one reason why you didn't KQ [sneeuwaap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I PM'd ya, (if you care).

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: this is one reason why you didn't KQ [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The first time I qualified for Kona I had the following disadvantages:
1) $800 aluminum bike, with cheap (heavy) aero bars, completely random fit
2) Bad training strategy- it contained no recovery periods, no intensity or intervals. It was 100% long slow training.
3) No thought given to nutrition. (Except that I should eat something)
4) Bad race pacing- I swam hard, I rode hard and I started out running hard. After a mental and physical breakdown at mile 18 of the run- I zombie stumbled towards the finish.
5) Below average (for KQ) running talent.
6) No power or heart rate data.
7) Poor running form
8) No bike racing knowledge or experience

So what did I do right?
1) Was a competitive swimmer growing up
2) I had many, many 100+ mile rides and 22+ mile runs under my belt.
3) I had suffered mental and physical breakdowns in practice. I was prepared to carry on in the race.

What is my point.....
A little talent and a lot of work will get you to Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: this is one reason why you didn't KQ [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is nothing wrong with legacy, executive, sponsor or charity participation in Kona.
There is nothing wrong with going on a triathlon vacation to Hawaii.

But sorry, "participation" is not "competition."

I don't see why a bunch of triathlon tourists (some watching, some participating) have much affect on triathlon competitors.

Sure they take up a few spots on the peer.
But they are just pretending to be Kona athletes.

Train hard, train and race smart- you might actually get to be the thing that these others are pretending to be.

A competitor.
Quote Reply
Re: this is one reason why you didn't KQ [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
solitude wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/14/your-money/when-amateur-ironmen-pay-for-the-elite-treatment.html

it has nothing to do with KQ'ing. He didn't earn or take a slot at any event. Like many (more than most here on ST know) he got in through a non-competitive way.

I wouldn't go to Kona unless I earned it, and, it wouldn't in any way make me any better as a person than anyone else. If someone wants to pay for coaching, etc. to be there with them - great. My coach travels with me to every race (ah, that's me). Sometimes I wish I could get rid of him!

Hard to believe NY Times even wasted their time on this NON-story.

To the 99.999% of NYTimes readers who haven't given a thought to triathlon, this story is indeed a story.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: this is one reason why you didn't KQ [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GrimOopNorth wrote:
Thanks. Completely agree. It's money and hard work (just like AG WC events).

I half jokingly told one guy who wanted to qualify that his best bet wasn't to qualify but save the money he would have spent on travel, accomm, race entries etc and buy an eBay charity slot. In retrospect, it might actually be cheaper than multiple attempts or legacy!

I have qualifed for Kona 3 times out of 31 IM's. So yeah, Ebay would be waaaay cheaper for me. I'm pretty well at the pace of the legacy guys, but I never had that option.
Quote Reply
Re: this is one reason why you didn't KQ [solitude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
solitude wrote:
GrimOopNorth wrote:
You mean he paid more for a eBay Kona slot? Or another person got a sponsor slot? And this is new news?

quite an emotive title for a non topic

There are a finite number of spots on pier. More sponsor slots means less KQ slots.

This topic has obviously been discussed previously. I don't think that makes it a non topic. When you read about somebody who is really slow but rich getting the chance to race kona, it should trigger unease. Yes life isn't fair, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't lament that fact and strive for fairness.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: this is one reason why you didn't KQ [solitude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, WTC likes to portray the image that everybody racing their "world championship" qualified the hard way....

As this article may not be "news", or "old news" to the WTC addicts or sponsors here on this forum, I am pretty sure there are plenty of 'sportsfans' out there who are not aware that their celebrity of choice did not qualify by time.

I am sure there are some athletes, who would like to obfuscate that fact....

Disclaimer: I did this race back in the 80's and thought it was a neat little race at a cool location. I would never claim to have raced a "world championship" of some sorts.

solitude wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/14/your-money/when-amateur-ironmen-pay-for-the-elite-treatment.html
Quote Reply

Prev Next