Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Running aerodynamics [AforEffort] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The fastest race is the 4*100 relay, and in the women's it's crop tops and briefs. The men's however sees a bunch of singlets, with the Netherlands (home of well-dressed speed skaters and cyclists) by far the baggiest. Clearly, genetics and training trump clothing. But for teams which are close, it might make the difference between 2nd and 4th. This is however an extreme case.

Andrew Coggan: would you wear clothing from 1986 in a competitive race? There have been considerable advancements since then, and even if it was a well-run test that's a huge factor. Aero threads here see considerable commentary from experts who run them about how difficult it is to run a good bicycle test, and for something as dynamic and slow as running, I think that's likely even more so.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: Running aerodynamics [MattRussellTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a huge gain. Go light in the shoes.

I'm going to weigh my trucker hats.

Quote Reply
Re: Running aerodynamics [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
georged wrote:
Andrew Coggan: would you wear clothing from 1986 in a competitive race?

We're not talking about the clothing here, but rather the method of measurement.

That said, your comment is rather ironic given that Chet Kyle developed hooded aerodynamic suits for the US track-and-field sprinters to wear at the 1984 Olympic Games.
Quote Reply
Re: Running aerodynamics [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are actually talking about clothing. Unless we're talking about the aerodynamics of running naked? In which case, shave. (We thought that was relatively unimportant based on poorly performed tunnel "data" until Specialized did robust tests)

Clothing and particularly materials have advanced rapidly since then, as any aerosuit thread will indicate. A 1986 comparison between the standard bike and the best aero bike of the day would not be a useful comparison for telling us about the differences 30 years later. Indicative, yes, but we can't take it as more than this.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MattRussellTri wrote:
That's why I shave my head! ;)

When I ran cross country and track they would say that you conserve 8% of your energy by running behind someone and letting them lead. On a windy day, that % would increase.

Jack Daniels did a running study on shoes, weight and saving time. http://runsmartproject.com/...-affect-performance/

About .83 seconds for a mile, per ounce less weight. So let's say you choose running shoes that are 3oz less per shoe. Total that's 6oz X .83 X 26.2. (Marathon) = 130 seconds. That's 2:10 faster!

Now shaving 3oz off per shoe is a lot because usually that means you're sacrificing comfort going lighter. Thankfully the Skechers GoRun4 shoes are extremely lightweight without sacrificing comfort. My shoes weigh 8.6oz at a size 10.5. I think a size 9 they are 6.8 oz. This show helped me run a 2:47 in comfort with no blisters at Ironman Cozumel.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I got ~8 seconds: 6oz/16 x .83 x 26 = 8.15475

But hey, I'm a lawyer and we suck at math, so I'm probably wrong. Plus you're losing comfort, which may be worth more than that.
Quote Reply
Re: Running aerodynamics [ether] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure where your 16 comes from?

6 x .83 x 26.2 = 130.476 which is 2 mins and 10 seconds.

Certainly not losing comfort with the Skechers GoRun 4. The dual density injection molded EVA foam is extremely lightweight without scraficing comfort. If you try a pair, I'm sure you'd be surprised.

http://www.MattRussellTri.com -Pro Triathlete -Tri Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My bad, I misread your post at .83 sec per pound.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MattRussellTri wrote:
That's why I shave my head! ;)

When I ran cross country and track they would say that you conserve 8% of your energy by running behind someone and letting them lead. On a windy day, that % would increase.

Jack Daniels did a running study on shoes, weight and saving time. http://runsmartproject.com/...-affect-performance/

About .83 seconds for a mile, per ounce less weight. So let's say you choose running shoes that are 3oz less per shoe. Total that's 6oz X .83 X 26.2. (Marathon) = 130 seconds. That's 2:10 faster!

Now shaving 3oz off per shoe is a lot because usually that means you're sacrificing comfort going lighter. Thankfully the Skechers GoRun4 shoes are extremely lightweight without sacrificing comfort. My shoes weigh 8.6oz at a size 10.5. I think a size 9 they are 6.8 oz. This show helped me run a 2:47 in comfort with no blisters at Ironman Cozumel.

Nice plug.
Quote Reply
Re: Running aerodynamics [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, there won't be much left in the legs when they're shattered after taking a 100mph slapshot to the shin either due to smaller gear.

However, jerseys have gotten noticeably tighter in the last few years. RBK Edge jerseys specifically are much more form fitting than anything else that was worn years ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Running aerodynamics [xgep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xgep wrote:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3773666

Maximum possible improvement of 6% due to clothing choices. A reduction of 2% yields you a whopping 6 seconds over a marathon. You have to remember that air resistance is not linear, so at the speeds a runner is traveling (about 12mph for elites) the aerodynamic drag is negligible. Where as cycling aerodynamic drag takes over as the primary variable of resistance around 18mph, a speed nearly all of us are capable of reaching.

You forget that the slower a runner goes, the more time that person spends exposed to drag, therefore it's really the slow people that need to start wearing skinsuits. This is slowtwitch....
Quote Reply

Prev Next