Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stand-Alone Marathon to IM Marathon
Quote | Reply
I just ran my first marathon at the Philadelphia Marathon this weekend, and I'm scheduled for IM Texas this May, and I was wondering how much slower I can expect to run the IM marathon than the stand-alone race.

A few things about me and the race:

I'm pretty much in off season mode and did not train specifically for the marathon
I've been road racing and doing triathlons for years
I'm generally am about 4% slower from stand-alone half marathon to HIM half marathon
I've seen sustained improvement in my running for the last 18 months or so (1st 13.1 of the marathon was a PR)
I plan on working with a coach to optimize my overall performance

Any insights or experiences anyone has would be great to hear about and very helpful! If you need I can provide times/splits as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Stand-Alone Marathon to IM Marathon [edwardst14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That all depends on the bike. If you are well prepared and don't over do it on the bike, you will probably run about 1 minute per mile slower than stand alone marathon pace. Over do it on the bike and you will be walking the second half of the marathon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Post some times of your PR 13.1, 26.2, 5k, etc?? Might help predict ....

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Re: Stand-Alone Marathon to IM Marathon [boilerup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5k - 17:04 (Haven't run this competitively in a few years)
10k - 35:55 (Haven't really run this in awhile either)
Oly 10k - 37:50
13.1mi - 1:21:30
HIM 13.1mi. - 1:24:27
26.2mi. - 2:45:05 (1st half 13.1mi - 1:21:15)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A well-executed Ironman will have your run split within 10% of your marathon time.

Lots of people people fail to execute their first iron distance well.
Quote Reply
Re: Stand-Alone Marathon to IM Marathon [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shouldn't having a coach help mitigate pacing issues though?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kevin in MD wrote:
A well-executed Ironman will have your run split within 10% of your marathon time.

x2 on both of those.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
edwardst14 wrote:

Yes, a good coach would definitely help you work out a good execution plan. And if you do, like I said I'd expect you to be within 10% of your marathon time.

Plus or minus of course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kevin in MD wrote:

Fixed it for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You would do exceedingly well to run within 10% of your open IM time (i.e. < 3:02 IM), not impossible but difficult. More realistically based on your times I'd aim for an IM marathon around 3:05 - 3:10.

Key to achieving this will be 1) ensuring you don't over cook the bike, 2) are well fuelled/hydrated coming off the bike and 3) don't start the marathon too fast.

FWIW my run times are very similar to yours and I generally execute Oly 10K & HIM pretty well. In my 2 IM's I've underperformed on the run (3:21 & 3:22) due to all 3 of the reasons above. I didn't seem to learn any lessons the 1st time :).

One other thing I'd add is that IMO bike strength is key for an IM run. I don't cycle much so I feel that even if I pace the bike well I'll still struggle a bit on the IM run due to the 180K taking a fair bit out of me. So for an IM as well as pacing the bike correctly, you also need to have a reasonable number of cycle k's in your legs to execute the run well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
edwardst14 wrote:

coaches are less needed for this type of knowledge with the amount of data on the internet - unless you are quite lazy or like to find a scapegoat for failures. what a coach is good for is critique of form.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This may help....VDOT Chart for HIM & IM races.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply