Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Power to weight for Kona Qualifiers? [Russ Brandt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Russ Brandt wrote:
OK, you may be doing some bro math then. When I look at your garmin file that you linked to for IMMT, you rode 53 miles with AP 220. Were you just figuring that if you doubled the distance and brought AP down to 210 (thus getting into the 3.5 w/kg) then you just might have rode a KQ qualifying ride?

This was my approach: I calibrated the BestBikeSplit model so that it spit out the same time as that test ride. Then I brought the watts down to see what the time would be. Given the conditions would be different on race day I don't know what the actual time would have been, but would have been competitive (although this years race was quite hot I believe so who knows what would have happened).

The main purpose of that ride was to test one gearing setup. I did the same ride the next day on a different gearing to see how it compared.
Quote Reply
Re: Power to weight for Kona Qualifiers? [jpwiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jpwiki wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
RChung wrote:
Ballpark, running at x m/s requires about x watts/kg. That is, running at 3 m/s requires around 3 watts/kg, and running at 2.5 m/s requires around 2.5 watts/kg.

2.5 m/s is about 10.5 minutes per mile
3 m/s is about 9 minutes per mile.

That seems a bit "low ball". 3W per kilo has to be worth more than 3 m/s. There is no way when I ran just 3:50 it was anywhere near 3W per kilo effort....it would be a lot lower (for me). Would that not put a sub 3 IM marathon at slightly above 4W per kilo. That does not seem right. When I used to run open marathons at 3 hrs or lower, there is no way I was holding 4W per kilo effort. But I suppose the faster you go, biomechanics/flight time, come into play versus just pure engine. In any case, it is probably a good starting point to get a feel for projected IM run potential based on an FTP test, assuming reasonable run technique.

See for me I would call this pretty damn accurate when comparing my ftp (bike) with my running splits. Its certainly something I'm going to play around with now and check

I wonder if for running, body geometry comes more into play more too. For example a long leg short torso runner with a small head has less dead weight that is being carried around. Since more weight is in the legs and that is active, perhaps that runner (ex a Kenyan) can run faster at a lower percent of "FTP/kilo" because a larger percent of the body is actively being used for propulsion. So maybe a long torso runner indeed runs a bit slower for the same percent of FTP/kilo....just a hypothesis. In cycling, long leg short torso for a given watts per kilo would be an advantage on hills, but disadvantage when trying to get more aero. Just eyeballing, Mirinda Carfrae would fall into the former camp. Also the long leg short torso athlete, will have better cooling effect/heat tolerance, allowing them to run at the same speed at lower FTP/kilo percent.
Quote Reply
Re: Power to weight for Kona Qualifiers? [rmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rmt wrote:
210w at 61kg would be a stunning IM bike leg. 210w at 61kg would be a respectable HIM bike leg to be honest, assuming you have a good Cda. Had you ridden 210w for 5 hrs and tried a 10km run off it, or were you at risk of overbiking?

Not exactly, but close (I normally do stuff like 45 mins@IM watts each hour for 112 miles, then run off of it for 45-60 minutes building above IM pace). I didn't race so I never got to find out. I may have sat on the side of the road and cried at the 80 mile mark. But for full disclosure, although I would be targetting 210w I would probably end up slightly lower (200-205 maybe?). If for whatever reason (aid stations/downhills/lose focus/get fed up/etc) I don't try to make the watts up. So if I have a patch in the middle where I'm riding at 170, I wouldn't later try making that up.
Quote Reply
Re: Power to weight for Kona Qualifiers? [dado0583] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK. Just as long as you understand this approach is very very theoretical. I'm sure you get it, but there is nothing better than riding the actual distance a few times to dial in the wattage. Extra points if you do a solid hour swim beforehand and a small run after. I think you'd find your wattage targets would change more using actual data instead of theoretical.
Quote Reply
Re: Power to weight for Kona Qualifiers? [redtdi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
redtdi wrote:
I was 3.24 w/Kg at the Muskoka IM and was the fastest bike split that day...of people who ran.

Ken

"of the people who ran"

love that part lol

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Power to weight for Kona Qualifiers? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
RChung wrote:
Ballpark, running at x m/s requires about x watts/kg. That is, running at 3 m/s requires around 3 watts/kg, and running at 2.5 m/s requires around 2.5 watts/kg.

2.5 m/s is about 10.5 minutes per mile
3 m/s is about 9 minutes per mile.

That seems a bit "low ball". 3W per kilo has to be worth more than 3 m/s. There is no way when I ran just 3:50 it was anywhere near 3W per kilo effort....it would be a lot lower (for me). Would that not put a sub 3 IM marathon at slightly above 4W per kilo. That does not seem right. When I used to run open marathons at 3 hrs or lower, there is no way I was holding 4W per kilo effort. But I suppose the faster you go, biomechanics/flight time, come into play versus just pure engine. In any case, it is probably a good starting point to get a feel for projected IM run potential based on an FTP test, assuming reasonable run technique.

We discussed this almost 5 years ago in this thread in the posts around this one:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=3179066#3179066
Quote Reply
Re: Power to weight for Kona Qualifiers? [Russ Brandt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I understand this. I estimate target race power based as a % of FTP, and then do some long rides with some runs after with varying target numbers to see what's more realistic. Estimating time from a model was just a bit of mental masturbation when I got bored.
Quote Reply

Prev Next