Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swimming WOD
Quote | Reply
Ok, looking for comments on format (not really content). I just want to know if it is easy to follow and adapt to your own level.

I'll start the WOD in earnest on December 1.

The first number is the way it is originally designed. The numbers in brackets are the shorter and longer variations. Everything inside the curly brackets describes how to do the basic set.

This one is really simple. Relentless, but simple. Before you start, pick a target time for each repeat (T) that you want to hold for the entire main part. Goal is to hold the same pace throughout, once you finish the kick, that is. The first 20 are warmup. T should be around 800m race pace, if you know what that is.

60 (40, 80) X 50
{
12 (8,12) warmup pace @ T+20
8 (6,8) kick @T+30 (use fins if necessary)
40 (24,60) @ T +10
}

250 warm-down

Variation: when you get to the 40x50 part, alternate 4 repeats at T+10 with 4 at T+5 seconds.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Nov 23, 15 20:36
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming WOD [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks OK, but is T the pace for the 50m or pace/100m?

I like the short/medium/long options :)
Last edited by: Drdan: Nov 23, 15 17:39
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming WOD [Drdan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T represents a time, not a pace.

For example, I did it tonight holding 37's for the 40x50 section. Rounding up to the next 5 sec interval, that was 6@ 50, 4@45, 6@50, 4@45, ...etc...

(I did 6 @ the T+10, 4@T+5, instead of the 4 and 4, as written, mainly so I could keep track of where we were a little easier, and so the guys and girl at the back of the lane could make the intervals)

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, is there enough of a difference between the short medium long options? This one is 2250, 3250, and 4250 yards/metres. Do people want the long one to be longer than that?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought you forgot about us :)

Looks good. How long should we rest between 50's?

Do you want us to do some tt tests before we start?
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming WOD [Katia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where it says T+10, you should be getting 10-13 seconds rest. More than that, and you should be on a faster off time. If you go for the T+5 option, then you'll be getting 5-8 seconds rest.

There's no break between groups of 50's, in other words, the set is 60x50. Your just doing different things during that set.

Not really necessary to do a TT beforehand. It should be pretty hard by the end. Just pick an off time that you think will be challenging to get that 10 seconds rest.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Swimming WOD [Drdan]ari [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Drdan wrote:
Looks OK, but is T the pace for the 50m or pace/100m?

I like the short/medium/long options :)

Edited the op for clarity.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a general question regarding time/rest. Wetsuit legal open water 1500m in fair conditions I'm typically out of the water in ~24mins. Non-wetsuit legal more like 28mins. My main set for the past few weeks has been to build out a set of 50s. I'm up to 27 50s (meters) where I come in around :35-36 and leave on the top. Is that just too fast of a pace? If I were to try to leave on 10 seconds rest at that pace I don't think I could make it much past eight or nine 50s. Should I slow down to :40 and leave on :50? I guess that's about my wetsuit pace.

.... or are there different goals for the two workouts?
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming WOD [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Different goals.

This is an aerobic threshold set. Its very similar to swimming 8x400 with 30 secs rest between 400's, but you'll be able to go slightly faster on this workout, and it forces you to have tighter control of your pace than the set of 400's. You can't start off like a rocket and then make the intervals at the end.

So on this one you'll go a bit slower than the set you describe, but less rest.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think your variation should become the baseline.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Ok, looking for comments on format (not really content). I just want to know if it is easy to follow and adapt to your own level.

The first number is the way it is originally designed. The numbers in brackets are the shorter and longer variations. Everything inside the curly brackets describes how to do the basic set.

This one is really simple. Relentless, but simple. Before you start, pick a target time for each repeat (T) that you want to hold for the entire main part. Goal is to hold the same pace throughout, once you finish the kick, that is. The first 20 are warmup. T should be around 800m race pace, if you know what that is.

60 (40, 80) X 50
{
40 (24,60) @ T +10
}

250 warm-down

Variation: when you get to the 40x50 part, alternate 4 repeats at T+10 with 4 at T+5 seconds.

For the simpletons amongst us, what is a WOD? I'm asking for a friend.
Last edited by: NAB777: Nov 24, 15 0:41
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming WOD [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Workout of the Day
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What the hell is a 'warm down'? Must be some sort of fancy, foreigner phrase.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming WOD [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You, in the peanut gallery!! pipe down.

Smartass.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Swimming WOD [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jriosa wrote:
I think your variation should become the baseline.

My thinking is that I like to keep the base workouts relatively simple, and then add twists to that simpler baseline with the variations.

Has anyone done it yet? What did you think?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

60 (40, 80) X 50
{
40 (24,60) @ T +10
}

250 warm-down

okay, thanks to the peanut gallery for WOD splainin.

your questions - easy to follow....hmm...yeah....not getting it. well, maybe...

so you do either 60 or 40 or 80 x 50, so a 50 set. included in this set you have 12 or 8 at warmup pace (so the first 8-12 at warmup pace) which is you 800m time+20s as the interval. wow, seems long to me, but what do i know cause i usually do 50s with 5. Then you do 6-8 50s kicking on the T+30s interval. then you do 40 (or 24 or 60) on the T+10s interval. so your workout would span 2000-4000 m.

so not sure my 800m time but last HIM (1900m) was 34ish so 800m would be 17ish so 1:03ish pace/50.
so warmup interval should be 1:20 (holy crap that is a LONG rest for 50s. really?) and then kicking interval s/b 1:30 and the long set s/b 1:10.
I've already done a set of 30x50 on the minute from a Tarpon workout and know I can hold a pretty steady interval of around 52ish so this goal is the same. correct?

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: Swimming WOD [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

so you do either 60 or 40 or 80 x 50, so a 50 set. included in this set you have 12 or 8 at warmup pace (so the first 8-12 at warmup pace) which is you 800m time+20s as the interval. wow, seems long to me, but what do i know cause i usually do 50s with 5. Then you do 6-8 50s kicking on the T+30s interval. then you do 40 (or 24 or 60) on the T+10s interval. so your workout would span 2000-4000 m.

Warmup is exactly that. Warmup. I go really slow on warmup. I'm old and creaky, so warmup is where I like to really work on exaggerating distance per stroke, really get a good stretch in the shoulders, remind myself of little technical details, etc. If you want to cut the rest a bit, feel free, but when I'm doing warmup I like to mix in some catchup drill, some backstroke, a bit of breaststroke even. The idea is that it is easy to make the pace times. If you want to just do them on 10 seconds rest then do that.

But other than the times, you pretty much have it. The workout actually spans 2250-4250m (or yards). The warmdown counts.

so not sure my 800m time but last HIM (1900m) was 34ish so 800m would be 17ish so 1:03ish pace/50.

You need to work on math ;-) Even at holding your HIM open water pace, your 800 would be about 14:20, which gives you a pace per 50 of 53 / 54 seconds. Factor in turns, plus an 800 is shorter, so you should be able to hold a higher pace than that, so I'd be putting you at a T-time of about 50s per 50. You should be turning these over on :60, or :55 and :60 if you do the variation, while coming in at 50 or slightly faster for all of them.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Nov 24, 15 6:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Warmup is exactly that. Warmup. I go really slow on warmup. I'm old and creaky, so warmup is where I like to really work on exaggerating distance per stroke, really get a good stretch in the shoulders, remind myself of little technical details, etc. If you want to cut the rest a bit, feel free, but when I'm doing warmup I like to mix in some catchup drill, some backstroke, a bit of breaststroke even. The idea is that it is easy to make the pace times. If you want to just do them on 10 seconds rest then do that.

You need to work on math ;-) Even at holding your HIM open water pace, your 800 would be about 14:20, which gives you a pace per 50 of 53 / 54 seconds. Factor in turns, plus an 800 is shorter, so you should be able to hold a higher pace than that, so I'd be putting you at a T-time of about 50s per 50. You should be turning these over on :60, or :55 and :60 if you do the variation, while coming in at 50 or slightly faster for all of them.

uh, oops. so up there in the nawth 800+800=1600, huh? so weird! :) thanks. since i can hold 52-53 in the pool that makes a lot more sense. okay. it is awful weather here today so it might be a pool swim . just might do this then. thanks so much!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to try this tonight. I'll give you feed back after that
and THANKS.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming WOD [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great, thanks!

Just a reminder for everyone as to how this is going to work. Not every day is going to be hard or a challenge. Some days will be downright easy.

I think, but I'm not sure yet, that I'll structure it so that there are 2-3 "aerobic" days per week, 2-3 sprint / near sprint days, and the remaining ones will be recovery. Also, at least one day, maybe 2, will be "stroke" days, working on something other than freestyle. Every day will have some kicking.

At some point, I will throw in a test set or 2. Maybe I'll do that before December 1.

"But I only swim freestyle in races" you complain. " I only ever do wetsuit races, I don't need to kick". Well, this is my workout, and this isn't a democracy.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Nov 24, 15 7:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm missing some of the conversation here - are you volunteering to post daily swim workouts for December? is this a challenge of some kind? doesn't really matter because i'm quite grateful, just wondering about the history... thanks! off to the pool now!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a challenge. A couple of weeks ago I just said that I would start posting a Workout of the Day, if there was interest in it. A number of people said that they liked the idea, so I'm getting it started.

Its really just a thing where if you want a workout to do, hopefully one that's a little different from your usual, you can find one. Some people might decide to just do them all, some might pick and choose, whatever you want to make of it.

I'm starting it December 1 because I need a little time to build an "inventory", if you will.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FABulous idea! well, days like this i'm glad the pool is not heated. overcast and cold and dayum it was HARD to get into that cold water but once i was at the 30x50 i was glad for no heat.

so... do you want feedback? if not, thanks for all the fish! :)

so i did 8x50 w/u (1:00), 6x50 kick (1:20) and 30x50 swim (1:00)
i tried to concentrate on stroke the first 8.
the kicking was HARD. i was getting about 3-5 seconds rest.
i held 48-49 for the first 10 (i think there were a couple 50-52), then 47-48 for 11-20 and 47-48 for 21-30 but more were 48 than 47. number 29 was 47 though. i was getting pretty tired by number 26.

it is a mentally good set tho cause you can go hard but it is only a 50 so you know the pain will end quickly.

thanks again!

oh, my pool is somewhere around 12-13 m (by google earth).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thought WOD was cross fit only :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tks for the feedback!

Favourite Swim Sets: