Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SRAM twist shifters for aerobars
Quote | Reply
Has anyone tried SRAM twist shifters for aerobars.
I was reading about MTB shifters and wondered about twist shifters for this. Then I remembered that a friends 20 year old Zipp had some sort of twist shifter.

Would they even mount? Would they be too hard to twist in the postion?
Would they be compatible with a road derailleur?

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM twist shifters for aerobars [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many people tried this about 30 years ago when gripshift was designed for aerobars. Todays twist shifters would present you with a number of issues. You could do it but it would require a lot of custom mods and still not be very clean.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM twist shifters for aerobars [MVM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I figured I'd have to trim the mushroom shape. I don't even know if it's worth the trouble, I just thought I'd ask.
Thanks

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of us ran SRAM's GripShift back in the early 90's. It was good for then (and a huge upgrade from downtube levers), but barcons are better for switching multiple cogs, and for FD shifting so you don't have to twist your wrist so much.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM twist shifters for aerobars [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.
Nice pic.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an 7 or 8-speed (can't remember) Gripshift somewhere in my parts bin. If you search you can probably find a post about someone that fabricated new innards for one, to run it as 9-speed.

Mine fit my Scott bars but I recall making an adaptor to fit them on a Syntace bar. They were pretty slick but the frontal area probably makes them a little slower than a bar-end.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM twist shifters for aerobars [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._come_by..._P5052879

It was Tom Anhalt. Nice job, too.

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply