Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Carbon Wheels Old
Quote | Reply
I bought a used bike a year ago. The carbon wheels came with the bike. While the bike is a 2013, I have no idea how old the wheels are other than the fact that they are not the Firecrest model. Yesterday when I changed the rear tube, there was carbon dust everywhere inside the rubber. Not just a little, a lot. So much so that my legs and hands were black from the dust that came out of when I popped the tire of the rim. The last time I changed the tube was during my previous ride, so maybe 50 miles on the new tube. The new tube did not go flat until the bike was back home and sitting inside. The last 15 miles of my last ride was in the rain. (this may all be irrelevant, but just giving all the facts). I also am starting to feel something a little off in the rear wheel, but I was thinking I needed to take the wheel in to have it re-trued as I rode several hundred miles on cobblestones in Europe in August. When I changed the tube, I had a look inside the wheel to the extent I could see it in the stem hole. There was a little build up of white gunk like you would get around a facet in certain parts of the country. All of this information may be irrelevant and the wheel is fine other than needs to be retrued, but I am wondering, is this the sign of an old wheel on its last turns, or all just normal stuff?
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Wheels Old [gotbitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The black stuff you got was, in all likelihood, not carbon dust. it was most probably worn brake compound from your brake pads. that stuff, if you don't clean it, gets everywhere. ESPECIALLY if you ride in the rain.

you only get carbon dust if you file or saw carbon. and carbon dust is typically not black.

That white gunk around the stem hole is also probably oxidation of the aluminium parts.( you mentioned they are not the firecrest model- are they old zipp clinchers with aluminium rims?). if so, these can be anywhere from 2005-2008 (I think) was the last year they made them. I ride a HED wheel from around that era. other than the fact that the rim is slightly warped and can't be gotten back to 100% true it is perfectly fine.

I'm guessing theres nothing really wrong with your wheels, except they could do with more TLC now and then. the corrosion is a point of concern, as it indicates your spokes may be seized, which could be a big problem needing an entire overhaul. I'd recommend bringing them to a good wheel doctor to check out.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Wheels Old [davidalone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The black dust was all inside the wheel and it wasn't there with my tube change just 50 miles earlier - i.e. couldn't see it until I popped the tire off the rim to get at the tube, but based on what you said, I'm going to guess it was the tube itself that had an issue and is why it only lasted 50 miles (I save it to put it in the bath tub tonight to see where the hole is). Yes, older zipp clinchers with aluminum rims. Darn, I was hoping I had a good reason to buy new wheels -- um, I mean, thank goodness I don't have to drop major cash on new wheels. They have been great wheels for the 2000+ miles I have used them, hoping to get a lot more miles.

Thanks for the info!
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Wheels Old [gotbitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a classic case of carbon-wheel-deterioration (CWD). It happens to every carbon wheel older than a few years old. The only solution is buying the newest Zipp model. I would not recommend anyone riding carbon older than ~1 year old. It's simply too dangerous.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Wheels Old [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
This is a classic case of carbon-wheel-deterioration (CWD). It happens to every carbon wheel older than a few years old. The only solution is buying the newest Zipp model. I would not recommend anyone riding carbon older than ~1 year old. It's simply too dangerous.

Are you suggesting we replace our carbon wheels annually? Do you have any sources on CWD?

Glad the Flo wheels are only carbon fairing.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Wheels Old [Bruizer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bruizer wrote:
nickwhite wrote:

Are you suggesting we replace our carbon wheels annually? Do you have any sources on CWD?

He got ya... He's kidding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bruizer wrote:
nickwhite wrote:

That's what I thought. Must shop now
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bruizer wrote:
nickwhite wrote:

This is what you tell your significant other when they question you buying even more stuff that you "already have" ;-)
Quote Reply