Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Loss of Visibility in TT Position? [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
walie wrote:
umcade wrote:
kfmfe04 wrote:

My question is, how do you do to deal with the loss of visiblity?

You uh, look up regularly.

Seriously

Learn to look "through the tops of your eyes", get frameless sunglasses. But pretty much look up

I agree, looking through the top of your eyes is Step 1.

I find that frameless isn't so important as something that has lens between the eyes, above the nose. While they aren't fashionable, they still look OK-ish, I love my Oakley M-Frames for just that reason (and they are great aerodynamically so don't have much turbulence even up to around 100kph (63mph)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Loss of Visibility in TT Position? [kfmfe04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kfmfe04 wrote:
Great photo but it looks like you're looking down even more than Paul is (but it's hard to tell).

How many bike lengths ahead do you think you are looking?

At least 5 lengths. Probably more but never really thought about it.
Quote Reply
Re: Loss of Visibility in TT Position? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
I guess my concern lies mostly in using TT bars while training. Perhaps I will simply train on the TT bars only while on the power trainer and during races. If I train outdoors, I will stay off the bars for safety. But the drawback would be the lack of handling practice on TT bars - not very optimal, either...

I avoid hammering in the TT bars unless traffic is light and I know the road.

+1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kfmfe04 wrote:
I guess my concern lies mostly in using TT bars while training. Perhaps I will simply train on the TT bars only while on the power trainer and during races. If I train outdoors, I will stay off the bars for safety. But the drawback would be the lack of handling practice on TT bars - not very optimal, either...

I've been using aero bars regularly in training for 25 years and have never had a crash due to riding in the aero position. I think you're way too worried about it. You do need to use common sense, don't go around turns or ride in heavy traffic in the bars. And of course don't use them in any group riding. You do want to anticipate when you're coming to an intersection or other hazard and get off the bars proactively. Also get off the bars in very rough pavement or over potholes.

It's only by riding in the aero bars in training you adapt and become adept at riding the aero position. I have a pretty low position (14 cm drop at 5'9" of height) and I don't have a problem seeing up the road. Sure, your neck gets a bit sore, but like anything you adapt to it in training, and really, just HTFU. Sometimes you have to give up a bit of comfort to go fast. If you can't get your head up enough to safely see ahead, something is wrong. You may have a physical mobility problem that could be a limiter, or you're just too low (but that's a problem 99.9% of triathletes don't have to worry about).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree that when you "rotate around the BB" there are some consequences - head position is one of those. If I can see your chin while looking from the side, you are more than likely giving up something aerodynamically.

Here are some of my thoughts on the head position topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG5pYN43oAw

=================
Kraig Willett
http://www.biketechreview.com - check out our reduced report pricing
=================
Quote Reply
Re: Loss of Visibility in TT Position? [BikeTechReview] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BikeTechReview wrote:
I agree that when you "rotate around the BB" there are some consequences - head position is one of those. If I can see your chin while looking from the side, you are more than likely giving up something aerodynamically.

+100 on the youtube snippet - best illustration I have seen of various head positions, including turtling and looking towards the horizon

tyvm!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kfmfe04 wrote:
Great photo but it looks like you're looking down even more than Paul is (but it's hard to tell).

How many bike lengths ahead do you think you are looking?

How far can you travel in a few seconds at 25mph ish, what is the stopping distance at that speed with the prevailing road conditions, and how much would it hurt if you rode into something hard?

These are the things you should be taking into consideration!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Kraig and All,

Thanks again for my San Diego LSWT (wind tunnel) experience with you.

You really maximized the information we gained and minimized the tunnel time ............ while also giving valuable insights during and after the process ................ with the detailed data and pictures you captured and provided.

And for those looking to see where they are going with their head down .......... the Cyclops glasses are a good value and will give you more speed than most other devices in a speed vs. dollars comparison.

Generally (depending on your current position) you can achieve more speed/watt and enjoy more comfort with the View-Speed Cyclops Glasses ...... and all while seeing where you are going.

Drop me a PM if you have questions.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In races I think I just follow a sighting pattern similar to that I used in the water, adjusting for traffic and road conditions.

I have several variations of my position depending how open the road is. On a clear road I have found myself resting the front of my helmet on my water bottle to give my neck a quick rest.

If I was in an urban area I would probably just train on my road bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Nice video, Kraig!

Quote Reply

Prev Next