Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Walking in Newtons
Quote | Reply
I've run in Newtons for the past 7 years and have had virtually no running injuries since putting on my first pair. I recently started wearing an old pair to casually walk around in and after a long 45 minute walk today noticed a pain in my knee which I've never had before. Given that we heel strike first when walking I'm wondering if this new niggle may be caused by the lugs changing my walking style. I'm also in a recovery block of only 5 hours of weekly training so my volume has been way down so don't think it's related to any other s/b/r activity.

Anyone experience something similar or have thoughts on using a newton Distance as a walking shoe?
Quote Reply
Re: Walking in Newtons [IronStork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know what it is, but I hate wearing my Newton's as regular walking around shoes.
My feet, legs and ankles just don't like it.
I think it has something to do with the lugs and how they raise my forefoot.

If it doesn't feel good, don't do it

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From my experience, the Newtons are great as a running shoe, but not as a walking shoe. The issue is the lugs are perfect for running, but too pronounced for walking. When I run, I land mid-foot. When I wear Newton's for running, I'm more efficient. When I walk, I land on my heel and toe off. When I used to wear Newtons for walking, the lugs threw off my foot strike and made my feet hurt. So, I use a shoe like the Pearl Izumi Streak 2 for walking.

One exception. I have used the Newton Boca AT because the lugs are not so pronounced like their road models.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
newtons are made to have you on your forefoot….we do not walk that way naturally or at least I do not. There could not be a worse shoe for walking in my mind. If you are done running with them its time to donate them to a charity of some sort or bin them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are done running in that pair, you could remove the lugs: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ewton_Lugs_P3018497/

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always walk in my old Newtons and no issue here. maybe I run in mine until the lugs are more flat and doesn't cause much issue!!! However, I do find other brands more comfortable for walking than Newtons.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its a bit like walking round in bike cleats isn't it ?

I bet you'd not do 45 mins walking in those.

I'd not use them for walking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no problems at all walking around in newtons. I wear them for most of my run training but as well in my running and tri store / bike fit studio. But i also wear the for days sometimes weeks a regular shoes. Also not the older ones I used for running, but actually new shoes and I really like them as regular shoes.

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Walking in Newtons [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to try removing the lugs and see if that feels better. I find the Newtons lose their spring after 300-400 miles but the shoe itself is still in good shape and a shame to toss or not use them anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using my old BOCO ATs as trail hiking shoes and they work great, except for heel wear. I wish they made a true trail hiker with a thicker rubber layer in the heel to keep the heel from wearing so fast when I walk in them.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply